Sapphire RX 480 Nitro + - interesting problem......

Hi 

System Specs:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-750, Socket H1 (LGA1156)  (Code name: Lynnfield)
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE P55-UD3
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3 
  • GPU: Sapphire RX480 nitro+ 8GB (Just purchased)
  • PSU: Aywun Megapower 550 watt
  • SSD: Samsung 250gb 

Problem: 

I just upgraded my GPU from a GTX 560 ti to a sapphire rx480 nitro+ in hope to play battlefield 1 when it comes out in October. Under normal use (youtube etc) the computer functions just fine, but playing any game is where i run into a problem. I can load the game just fine (change settings ,view saved games etc) but as soon as i start playing the game the computer becomes unresponsive, screen goes black, then gray until i hard reset the computer, i also have tried heaven benchmark with the same result.

Games i have tried:

• Dark souls 3
  • CS:GO
  • Overwatch

As far as i can tell my system meets the requirements of RX480, so not sure what the problem could be.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks

Brotha Penguin. 

p.s. I have attached a sensor log of the GPU using (Sapphire TRIXX) 

Sensor Log.txt

I'm guessing that power supply is dying, I'd recommend a Corsair CX550M, Seasonic S12II or M12II, or an EVGA GS/G2/GQ PSU.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Run DDU to uninstall all old drivers and then reinstall the correct drivers. 

There is also a chance that PSU is too shitty to power your system. (the PSU is a real piece of shit)

Your CPU is also going to be a pretty big bottleneck in many games. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Have you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow | PSU: Corsair RM750X V2 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Cooling: CM Masterliquid ML240L RGB | RAM: Ballistix 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 RGB | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 + Kingston NV2 NVMe | GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6950 XT Speedster MERC 319

could be psu, but im thinking driver issues. what version are you on, and what are your global settings at?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

This and

is there a sticker on yout PSu that says how much power it can supply to the 12v rail?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

is this what it looks like? megapower.jpg?format=750w

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

is this what it looks like? megapower.jpg?format=750w

Yes thats what it looks like....

26 minutes ago, lullemannen90 said:

Have you uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new ones?

Yes i have uninstalled the old nivida drivers. Also what do you mean by DDU?

Thanks for the quick responses :)

2 minutes ago, Brotha Penguin said:

Yes thats what it looks like....

Yes i have uninstalled the old nivida drivers. Also what do you mean by DDU?

Thanks for the quick responses :)

That PSU is only capable of delivering 396w over the two 12v rails. Get a new PSU, yours is crap. 

DDU is a program to completely remove all remnants of GPU drivers. Simply uninstalling drivers misses things.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That PSU is only capable of delivering 396w over the two 12v rails. Get a new PSU, yours is crap. 

DDU is a program to completely remove all remnants of GPU drivers. Simply uninstalling drivers misses things.

192W and 204W respectively.  He could try lowering the power requirement of the card and clock it down for now... until he buys a new one.

Seasonic 520W M12ii fully modular is $65.  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

Damnit, the rails are split on that too:  240W per.  Kinda close with the NITRO+ TDP being 225W.

480W to the +12v:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/TgW9TW/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze

Semi Modular:  http://pcpartpicker.com/product/DPCwrH/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

51 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There is also a chance that PSU is too shitty to power your system. (the PSU is a real piece of shit)

Your CPU is also going to be a pretty big bottleneck in many games. 

if he gets a respectable overclock on that i5 then its pretty decent 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

if he gets a respectable overclock on that i5 then its pretty decent 

He'd probably need to get it to around 6ghz to compete with a 6500, realistically he's not going to get it above 4ghz (if that). Certainly no where near being able to keep up with a 480. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Interesting development...... just ran DDU. Looked like it did something.

I was able to run dark souls, CS:GO with out any problem (only played for a few minutes tho)

Looks like it could be a driver conflict for now, will play a few more games a see what happens. 

I will look at getting a PSU next week, thanks @stconquest for the power supplier recommendations, will have a look at later on.

I am planning on doing a full upgrade in November (gonna get some black Friday deals lol), feel free to recommend parts :)

fyi @djdwosk97 & @glitchmaster0001 i haven't overclocked the CPU at all, still got the stock cool that came with CPU lol.

Thanks for the help everyone, will keep you posted on the outcome :)

Overclock your CPU until you upgrade.get the last bit of juice of of it. Linus has a P55 boats and an i7 or i5 that he overclocked from his NCIX data.tons of easy guides. I'm doing my father in laws i5 750 with an EVGA P55 this weekend also.

You can always upgrade when ever you want is sugar waiting until Zen. Compared to current pace, Intel all likely release something or do something drastic (like lower prices) in order to compete with AMD releases.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

He'd probably need to get it to around 6ghz to compete with a 6500, realistically he's not going to get it above 4ghz (if that). Certainly no where near being able to keep up with a 480. 

just get it to around 3.8 to 4.0GHz so it matches a i5 2500k with a moderate overclock. much cheaper than upgrading the whole platform dude... plus an i5 2500k with a moderate oc is still very viable today, this aint no core 2 duo potato! 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

We are talking about the 750 here ... wich is a beast for oc 

Mine in my backup rig runs 4.0Ghz since 2009 ... still going strong and if i really push it 4.2Ghz (under water tough)

Let's agree to disagree