Does Z77 support NVMe drives?

I have a ASUS P8Z77M-Pro with the latest BIOS installed and I want to get a NVMe drive (Samsung 950 Pro). I'm already aware I won't be able to boot from the drive but that's fine I plan on using it as a games drive until I eventually upgrade my motherboard to one that can boot from it.

Will I be able to use this drive for storage on a Z77 board?

5 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I have a ASUS P8Z77M-Pro with the latest BIOS installed and I want to get a NVMe drive (Samsung 950 Pro). I'm already aware I won't be able to boot from the drive but that's fine I plan on using it as a games drive until I eventually upgrade my motherboard to one that can boot from it.

You should be able to still use the drive like it is a normal mass storage device. 

If that's not the case then you'll need a custom BIOS for your board that includes NVMe support. (for example my old Z77X-UP7 can have a third party BIOS flashed to include NVMe support) 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

18 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

long answer: NO

Short answer: NO

drive may or may not be detected, but you will probably be unable to partition the volume

Just now, Prysin said:

long answer: NO

Short answer: NO

drive may or may not be detected, but you will probably be unable to partition the volume

I know some ASUS board fully support NVMe but I can't seem to find anything on my board specifically :(

12 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I know some ASUS board fully support NVMe but I can't seem to find anything on my board specifically :(

because it probably doesnt.

Ivy bridge was never designed to handle NVMe. The M.2 slots, if there is one, is PCIe Gen2 x4, is it not? I know even a few haswell boards operate that way.

Instead of NVMe. get the Kingston Predator. That is a AHCI drive, although with its "measly" 1300MB/s read and 1000MB/s write, it is much slower then NVMe. But it is also better "value for money" atm, given a low cost per gig compared to other NVMe drives.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-Predator-SHPM2280P2-240G/dp/B00V01C5O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472247062&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston%2BPredator