Monitors wont wake up with RX 480 Nitro 8GB OC

veorug

So I am having some strange issues after installing my RX 480 Nitro 8GB OC.  After I leave my PC idle for a while windows 10 automatically shuts off the monitors, which is fine.  However when I try to wake them up by pressing keys on the keyboard or clicking the mouse, nothing happens.  The only thing I can do is reset my pc with the reset button/hold down the power button and shut it off.  Both of my monitors ( 2x Acer R240HY bidx ) are connected with HDMI and work fine with my other PCs and work fine with this PC as long as I don't let windows turn them off.  I have tried reinstalling the display drivers multiple times, reverting to the 16.8.1 crimson drivers and clearing my CMOS with no success.  There has also been another less annoying and more random issue, where on startup, my second monitor loses signal at the windows log in screen.  I can fix this by, after logging in, opening up the screen resolution tab in control panel and switching, first to "show desktop only 1" and then switching back to "extend these displays".  Immediately the second monitor gets a signal and it functions as usual.  I am wondering if these problems are related since both deal with the monitors not receiving a signal.  I have done some research and have not been able to find any solutions to my particular problem.  I don't think my card is defective since it runs completely normally except for in these two situations and I am starting to wonder if this is an issue with AMD's drivers.

Here are my system specs:

CPU: i7 5960x

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000

GPU: Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 8GB OC

Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition

Powersupply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Monitors: 2x Acer R240HY bidx

Thanks in advance for your help :)

clean install of windows and maybe disable the turn off monitos after X time? :)

6 minutes ago, veorug said:

Hey there,

I am one of the seemingly rare people who also has this card. I also experienced the issue whereby the monitor randomly sleeps for no apparent reason, although mine could be woken by simply pressing a key on my keyboard. That was a while ago and I was using the 16.7.3 drivers, but between that and other issues I did a clean uninstall of all my GPU drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and then I installed the latest 16.8.2 patch and I haven't experienced this since. The only thing I could suggest would be to do what I did, uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers. This issue was really weird, since there seemed to be no reason behind it.

I can't comment on your issues about dual monitors since I don't have dual monitors. Again, the only thing I could suggest would be a clean uninstall and reinstall of the latest GPU drivers.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I have similar problems with mine all the time, but mine usually turn on after a bit though, the other day they totally refused though, and i had to reset my PC, i think i narrowed it down to a failed windows update, as chrome had also messed up and was crashing all the time, and there was an error when i tried to do a manual windows update....what i did to solve the problem was i rolled back the pc a couple of days using system restore, then did the windows update, i have had no problems since....my monitors wake up eventually like they used to and chrome works again.

So it's probably windows problem rather than a driver problem, couldn't hurt to get 16.8.2 hotfix....

Note i use 3x displayport cables not HDMI 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

First, does the PC still respond once its sleeping? Such as the caps lock LED working when you hit the caps lock key?

Nope the LEDs don't change.  However, the keyboard and mouse do remain powered on.

3 minutes ago, veorug said:

Nope the LEDs don't change.  However, the keyboard and mouse do remain powered on.

Sounds to me like a complete crash.

Do you notice anything weird in windows event viewer around the time that the monitors sleep?

7 minutes ago, komar said:

clean install of windows and maybe disable the turn off monitos after X time? :)

Clean installing windows is always an option, but id like to keep that as last resort.  I also like to have the monitors turn off after X time just to avoid burn in and save on power.

Just now, veorug said:

Clean installing windows is always an option, but id like to keep that as last resort.  I also like to have the monitors turn off after X time just to avoid burn in and save on power.

Burn in is really only an issue with OLEDs, Plasmas, and CRTs. But I do understand wanting to save power

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Burn in is really only an issue with OLEDs, Plasmas, and CRTs. But I do understand wanting to save power

Interesting, good to know

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Do you notice anything weird in windows event viewer around the time that the monitors sleep?

Not sure, im not actually home at the moment so Ill take a look as soon as I get back, sorry about that.

26 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Hey there,

I am one of the seemingly rare people who also has this card. I also experienced the issue whereby the monitor randomly sleeps for no apparent reason, although mine could be woken by simply pressing a key on my keyboard. That was a while ago and I was using the 16.7.3 drivers, but between that and other issues I did a clean uninstall of all my GPU drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and then I installed the latest 16.8.2 patch and I haven't experienced this since. The only thing I could suggest would be to do what I did, uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers. This issue was really weird, since there seemed to be no reason behind it.

I can't comment on your issues about dual monitors since I don't have dual monitors. Again, the only thing I could suggest would be a clean uninstall and reinstall of the latest GPU drivers.

Good to know I'm not the only person having this type of issue, thanks :)

38 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

first i bet ur system needs 10-15 seks to boot with the ssd

secound u do know that u can just turn off ur monitors right? - if this is a driver problem or even more gpu bug u will have to live with it for some time

7 minutes ago, komar said:

first i bet ur system needs 10-15 seks to boot with the ssd

secound u do know that u can just turn off ur monitors right? - if this is a driver problem or even more gpu bug u will have to live with it for some time

You are correct about the boot time, and I usually just turn it off when I leave to go do something.  However I like the option of having the monitors turn off in case I forget.  Turning off the monitors by hand works too, but its not very convenient.  I'm totally fine with living with the problem, I'm just wondering if there is a possibility that it can be fixed right now before I resign to waiting it out.

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So I checked the event viewer and there were no errors around the time that the monitors went to sleep.  I also noticed that the problem doesn't occur right away.  If I press a button on the keyboard right away after the screens turn off, it wakes them up normally, however If I leave the PC idling for more than ~15 minutes the keyboard and mouse don't wake the PC up.

39 minutes ago, veorug said:

So I checked the event viewer and there were no errors around the time that the monitors went to sleep.  I also noticed that the problem doesn't occur right away.  If I press a button on the keyboard right away after the screens turn off, it wakes them up normally, however If I leave the PC idling for more than ~15 minutes the keyboard and mouse don't wake the PC up.

Is it by chance set to completely sleep after a certain time?

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Is it by chance set to completely sleep after a certain time?

I have the power setting on "high performance" which has the "put the computer to sleep" option set to "Never".  When the issue happens, the PC appears to still be completely on, not in a sleep mode since all of the fans are spinning and the power led is solid.

26 minutes ago, veorug said:

I have the power setting on "high performance" which has the "put the computer to sleep" option set to "Never".  When the issue happens, the PC appears to still be completely on, not in a sleep mode since all of the fans are spinning and the power led is solid.

I was just wondering if it was a sleep mode related issue, because I have seen PCs crash going into sleep mode.

Try updating your chipset drivers. They usually fix issues like this

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Have you solution?

I will contact sapphire...

I found solution.

1. uninstall AMD video driver

2. UNINSTALL INTEL VIDEO DRIVER - this by my opinio coused problem

3. install amd video driver

Regards Petr