Will a properly overclocked 1060 ultra games at 60 fps?

OnionRings

I was going to get a 1070 in a future build down the road but I could save about 200$ and get a 1060 instead but I only want to downgrade to a 1060 if an overclocked one will be able to play ANY game MAX settings 1080P, if it can't I'll stick with the 1070, I " can " afford the 1070 just don't know if its needed.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Yes, that should run Candy Crush just fine.

What kind of games were you wanting to play?

Well I have a 1060 overclocked and I am getting 90-100FPS in Just Cause 3 which is already a badly optimized game.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Yes, that should run Candy Crush just fine.

What kind of games were you wanting to play?

Candy crush soda saga, farmville 2, roller coaster tycoon 2, sims 1 and 2.

No seriously though I'll be playing stuff like GTAV, Rise of the TR, Battlefront, other demanding titles like that. Gears of war 4 on release, battlefield 1 on release, some pretty demanding games. I cna play most games at 1080P now on my 370 but I had to overclock it and also bring down a lot of settings in certain games just to achieve 60 FPS, in my new build here > http://pcpartpicker.com/list/36rkXH (not sure when im even building in, probably a few months or so) I want a GPU that can DESTROY 1080P gaming 100% settings all the way up AND filters with 60FPS constant (no dips) and I know the 1070 can do that, but like I said in the original post I may not need a 1070.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Just now, OnionRings said:

No seriously though I'll be playing stuff like GTAV, Rise of the TR, Battlefront, other demanding titles like that. Gears of war 4 on release, battlefield 1 on release, some pretty demanding games. I cna play most games at 1080P now on my 370 but I had to overclock it and also bring down a lot of settings in certain games just to achieve 60 FPS, in my new build here > http://pcpartpicker.com/list/36rkXH (not sure when im even building in, probably a few months or so) I want a GPU that can DESTROY 1080P gaming 100% settings all the way up AND filters with 60FPS constant (no dips) and I know the 1070 can do that, but like I said in the original post I may not need a 1070.

1080P yeah don't even need 1060 to max every game.

Just now, FPS-Russia said:

1080P yeah don't even need 1060 to max every game.

So the 1060 will do me fine then if I get one and OC it? That would save me 200$ to spend on better parts which the build is already pretty good not much to increase, but it saves me 200$ toward a new comfy desk and chair and probably noise reducing panels.

CPU

So the 1060 will do me fine then if I get one and OC it? That would save me 200$ to spend on better parts which the build is already pretty good not much to increase, but it saves me 200$ toward a new comfy desk and chair and probably noise reducing panels.

Yeah 1060 kill 1080P.

Just now, FPS-Russia said:

Yeah 1060 kill 1080P.

Ok just making sure, I'm tired of bringing down settings in my games. I want to truely be able to play in beauty and good speed too. Now what about 1440p, I assume I would need to bring down settings a little bit if I wanted a good frame rate? I probaly won't play in 1440P cus I have a cheap monitor but just curious.

CPU

Ok just making sure, I'm tired of bringing down settings in my games. I want to truely be able to play in beauty and good speed too. Now what about 1440p, I assume I would need to bring down settings a little bit if I wanted a good frame rate? I probaly won't play in 1440P cus I have a cheap monitor but just curious.

Yeah i am on 1440P and can use "high" setting just fine with my RX 480.

Dude, even a 1080 won't be enough then ;)

If you Really WANT, you could find a game, where even a 1080 won't be able to hold 60 fps in 1080p Max settings.

With a 1060 of course you need to be smart, and use the Setting sliders in some games.

Set shadows to High, instead of Ultra. Gain 20 fps, but lose 0,69% Image Quality ^^

Some settings are so demanding, but don't look really better or different at all. Play with that, and use that. And you will have no issues.

For example, AC Unity.

In maxed out settings in 1080p, my 1060 get's like 43~ fps (99% GPU usage), with TXAA.

When i go down to FXAA, the Game looks almost better even (AC Unity is special... FXAA looks better than MXAA or even TXAA lol), i get my full 60 fps, and GPU Usage drops to 80%~

Just now, Darkseth said:

Dude, even a 1080 won't be enough then ;)

If you Really WANT, you could find a game, where even a 1080 won't be able to hold 60 fps in 1080p Max settings.

With a 1060 of course you need to be smart, and use the Setting sliders in some games.

Set shadows to High, instead of Ultra. Gain 20 fps, but lose 0,69% Image Quality ^^

Some settings are so demanding, but don't look really better or different at all. Play with that, and use that. And you will have no issues.

For example, AC Unity.

In maxed out settings in 1080p, my 1060 get's like 43~ fps (99% GPU usage), with TXAA.

When i go down to FXAA, the Game looks almost better even (AC Unity is special... FXAA looks better than MXAA or even TXAA lol), i get my full 60 fps, and GPU Usage drops to 80%~

I rarely play with shadows but I want to be able to use all the other settings like FX, tesselation, occlusion, all that.

CPU

Like i said, it really depends.. Some games are very "hungry" and dont look good. Others look awesome, and run on any machine well :P

I would say, RX 480 / GTX 1060 are perfectly fine for 1080p maxed out. However, some settings can look 0.5% better, but cost 40% performance. In some games, you might have to set 1 or 2 settings down to the 2nd highest, and that's it. For example, Witcher's Hairwork etc.

But almost all games should run maxed out in smooth 60 fps.

31 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

No seriously though I'll be playing stuff like GTAV, Rise of the TR, Battlefront, other demanding titles like that. Gears of war 4 on release, battlefield 1 on release, some pretty demanding games. I cna play most games at 1080P now on my 370 but I had to overclock it and also bring down a lot of settings in certain games just to achieve 60 FPS, in my new build here > http://pcpartpicker.com/list/36rkXH (not sure when im even building in, probably a few months or so) I want a GPU that can DESTROY 1080P gaming 100% settings all the way up AND filters with 60FPS constant (no dips) and I know the 1070 can do that, but like I said in the original post I