Is it safe to turn on windows updates now?

42kq

I've had them disabled since last year because I did not want windows 10 forcing itself on my PC. If I re-enable windows updates will windows 10 still try to force itself on my pc?

You aren't serious are you? Please tell me you've been installing security updates manually at least.

-KuJoe

It depends on what you want to accomplish. The only thing worth downloading from Microsoft for Windows 7 or 8 anymore are security updates, and starting in October, Microsoft will be making security and general system updates rolled into one update released each month, and so you can't tell what you're actually getting in them.

Your PC won't automatically upgrade to Windows 10, and you should be free of notifications to upgrade to Windows 10 from now on. But I still wouldn't let updates other than security updates be downloaded to your Windows installation.

See the link in my signature for a script which will uninstall and block the telemetry and data-collection updates that were back-added to Windows 7 and 8.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Or you know ... just get windows 10.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Well you should first of all clean install windows 10, then not have to worry about security holes in your OS anymore.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They're not worried about security holes. They're worried about having Windows 10 installed on their PC. Therefore, installing Windows 10 would not be the way to go about avoiding installing Windows 10.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

@kujoe

nope I wasn't gonna risk it until the free upgrade was over.

There where other ways into stopping windows 10 onto your PC. There is nothing wrong with windows 10. I did not what to upgrade at first, a day after upgrading I went back to windows 7. A year down the line I had to buy a windows 10 pro key and installer for like £20. I now love windows 10. I used it on a old Intel Pentium D 930 for a while and had no issues with it, I upgraded to a Q6700. Anyway most people found the windows 10 notification updates so you could uninstall them. Main-stream support for windows 7 ended in February I think, which is mainly for drivers etc. no one really cares about, but you will still recive security updates unlit 2020.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

@fixitnow im happy for you but fuck win10 its caused me so many problems I hate it's disgusting it looks like shit

Windows 7 is perfect for me. And I want to keep it for as long as possible. I only got win 7 in 2011

Windows 10 is a POS, tbh. An unreliable disaster and headache to maintain, in my experience, and just a restricted version of Windows 7 / 8 that's been monetised out the ass:

Installing Windows 10 on a personal PC is sort of like buying a property so that somebody else can rent it out and collect the money, while you have to deal with the costs and time of maintaining the property. It makes no absolutely sense to do.