SP120 as case fans?

xnoobftw

Are they really THAT bad as case fans? Worth replacing them with AF fans?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

1 minute ago, xnoobftw said:

Are they really THAT bad as case fans? Worth replacing them with AF fans?

It depends they work well if you have obstructions like fine mesh filters or drive cages, then pressure fans are ideal. Personally I just use static pressure fans for everything they aren't a huge difference in performance and all of mine either have a rad or fine meshed filters. 

Just now, W-L said:

It depends they work well if you have obstructions like fine mesh filters or drive cages, then pressure fans are ideal. Personally I just use static pressure fans for everything they aren't a huge difference in performance and all of mine either have a rad or fine meshed filters. 

I have sp120s on the top exhaust tho... People keep telling me using SP for case fans are crap D: 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

3 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

I have sp120s on the top exhaust tho... People keep telling me using SP for case fans are crap D: 

Well just to do a quick compare looking just at airflow they are very similar, the biggest difference is the noise and RPM level that it does to achieve that. 

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan-twin-pack

what people? they ARE supposed to be case fans. AF stands for Airflow so yeah. SP (static pressure) fans are used for radiators and tight spaces like behind a drive cage.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well just to do a quick compare looking just at airflow they are very similar, the biggest difference is the noise and RPM level that it does to achieve that. 

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan-twin-pack

For the blue arrow would you suggest an intake or exhaust? Mine is currently in exhaust but if you suggest intake i'll get a fan filter and place it on top

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, xGGAx said:

what people? they ARE supposed to be case fans. AF stands for Airflow so yeah. SP (static pressure) fans are used for radiators and tight spaces like behind a drive cage.

There IS a mesh tho.... but its a pathetic excuse for a dust filter xD 

For the blue arrow would you suggest an intake or exhaust? Mine is currently in exhaust but if you suggest intake i'll get a fan filter and place it on top

Make it a intake if you want a positive air presure in your case. Although I personally prefer if there is no fan there

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

2 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

I would suggest to use it as exhaust and configure the fans so that the top three have less exhaust volume or CFM than intake of the front two by having the front run at a higher RPM. That will still let you have positive air pressure and reduce dust as long as your front intakes are filtered. 

There IS a mesh tho.... but its a pathetic excuse for a dust filter xD 

I know, im using the same case:P

for the top and bottom fans they should be sp because the dust filter really makes it hard to push air, but i guess you can get away with AF fans
And the top fan should always be exhaust because heat rises .

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

5 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

Make it a intake if you want a positive air presure in your case. Although I personally prefer if there is no fan there

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would suggest to use it as exhaust and configure the fans so that the top three have less exhaust volume or CFM than intake of the front two by having the front run at a higher RPM. That will still let you have positive air pressure and reduce dust as long as your front intakes are filtered. 

I have my exhaust fans not spin up until my GPU temps are >65c 

And when my gpu do the 3 exhaust spins up to 50% speeds (top 2 are SP120 high performance and rear is stockfan)

My intakes are connected to the PSU so they are running 100% 100% of the time (with silverstone 140mm filters) with the stock fan at the top and SP120 quiet edition at the bot

Is that fine?

1 minute ago, xGGAx said:

for the top and bottom fans they should be sp because the dust filter really makes it hard to push air, but i guess you can get away with AF fans

Ah xD The dust filters really are crap LOL esp the front "dust filter"

I installed fine mesh dust filter at the front and BOOM a clean pc for months 

4 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

I have my exhaust fans not spin up until my GPU temps are >65c 

And when my gpu do the 3 exhaust spins up to 50% speeds (top 2 are SP120 high performance and rear is stockfan)

My intakes are connected to the PSU so they are running 100% 100% of the time (with silverstone 140mm filters) with the stock fan at the top and SP120 quiet edition at the bot

Is that fine?

Yes that should still be slightly positive air pressure to help keep dust to a minimum. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes that should still be slightly positive air pressure to help keep dust to a minimum. 

Why woudlnt you recommend the top front as intake tho? :o Is there a particular reason? I know hot air rises but the movement of hot air shouldnt be such a huge deal esp when that fan can supply fresh air directly to my CM 212x which is blowing towards the rear

23 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

20 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

Or just not use the rear fan and have the top two exhaust and the front two intake.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

7 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

Why woudlnt you recommend the top front as intake tho? :o Is there a particular reason? I know hot air rises but the movement of hot air shouldnt be such a huge deal esp when that fan can supply fresh air directly to my CM 212x which is blowing towards the rear

Having fans beside each other like that tends to circulate the air back into the case instead of giving it good airflow. inside a case convection doesn't really occur much as long as the fans are configured well and there isn't any stagnant air. 

8 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

Personally I think it's better not to use the top as a intake. alot of the hot air exhausted by the other fan on the top will probably get sucked back in, just leave the top front empty so the air in your case moves from front to top back easily imho

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

5 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Or just not use the rear fan and have the top two exhaust and the front two intake.

Problem is the rear fan is the one that exhaust the most heat out (tested with hand) D: 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Having fans beside each other like that tends to circulate the air back into the case instead of giving it good airflow. inside a case convection doesn't really occur much as long as the fans are configured well and there isn't any stagnant air. 

Ah... Alright noted thanks :) 

Just now, Ernest_L said:

Personally I think it's better not to use the top as a intake. alot of the hot air exhausted by the other fan on the top will probably get sucked back in, just leave the top front empty so the air in your case moves from front to top back easily imho

Hmm... But wouldnt the fan be wasted D: 

10 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

Those people are ignorant.  SP fans still generate good airflow.  Their only downside as compared to lower pressure AF type fans is that they tend to be noisier.