PCI-Express Gen 4 to arrive next year

Djole123
3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Dah! I fell prey to the OP's mistyping. My bad.

The article made the mistake too.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I get the "feels" just thinking that my first computer had ISA slots....

In 15 years PCI-E 4 will give someone those same feels.  I take comfort in that.

1 hour ago, elkenrod said:

I get the "feels" just thinking that my first computer had ISA slots....

In 15 years PCI-E 4 will give someone those same feels.  I take comfort in that.

Pcie 4 looks the same as any other. In 15 years there won't be any nostigla on the old board with old pcie slots. Pci might, just like isa, mca, and agp.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 2016-08-20 at 2:52 AM, Sammael said:

Probably faster ssd drives.

we dont have SSDs that are fast enough to use 16x(or even 8x IIRC) PCI-e 3.0 ffs, its just getting insaine lol, not that im against tech mooving forward but still...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The bandwidth is irrelevant to consumers for now, pcie 3.0 is far from being saturated (frankly so is 2.0) by video cards and ethernet adapters. What is interesting is the higher power delivery, which could mean most graphics cards won't require a direct connection to the power supply on supporting motherboards. I wonder if motherboards will require more expensive components in order to provide that power and if the ATX 24-pin will be enough even on lower end psus.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The bandwidth is irrelevant to consumers for now, pcie 3.0 is far from being saturated (frankly so is 2.0) by video cards and ethernet adapters. What is interesting is the higher power delivery, which could mean most graphics cards won't require a direct connection to the power supply on supporting motherboards. I wonder if motherboards will require more expensive components in order to provide that power and if the ATX 24-pin will be enough even on lower end psus.

I'm certain that the 24-pin won't be able to handle the additional current on any power supply unless larger wires will be used. I mean think about it this way: Motherboard manufacturers of expensive boards that support three and four cards in SLI/Crossfire will have supplemental connectors on them in the form of molex and PCIe 6 pins. The total power draw from the slots would be 300W for all four(300W/4=75W each). If that's going to be integrated into a single slot, the 24-pin connector might need to change to support the additional power draw, or we just have supplemental connectors on normal boards as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm certain that the 24-pin won't be able to handle the additional current on any power supply unless larger wires will be used. I mean think about it this way: Motherboard manufacturers of expensive boards that support three and four cards in SLI/Crossfire will have supplemental connectors on them in the form of molex and PCIe 6 pins. The total power draw from the slots would be 300W for all four(75*4). If that's going to be integrated into a single slot, the 24-pin connector might need to change to support the additional power draw, or we just have supplemental connectors on boards as well.

I think the key is "UP TO" 300W - I don't expect every slot to be able to provide that much at the same time. As for the 24 pin, technically speaking a single rail power supply can provide all of its power through a single connector iirc. Of course this is outside specification and not recommended at all, however it is possible and might even work well enough on a high quality psu. If I had to take a guess however I'd say they'll add a dedicated 8-pin connector on high end motherboards and disable the feature on those that can't handle it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I think the key is "UP TO" 300W - I don't expect every slot to be able to provide that much at the same time. As for the 24 pin, technically speaking a single rail power supply can provide all of its power through a single connector iirc. Of course this is outside specification and not recommended at all, however it is possible and might even work well enough on a high quality psu. If I had to take a guess however I'd say they'll add a dedicated 8-pin connector on high end motherboards and disable the feature on those that can't handle it.

It doesn't matter if it's only on one slot. My post is only really considering at least one slot being provided 300W at maximum. But, we have no idea how this is all going to work.

In regards to going outside of spec, I would surely hope that PCIe would not go outside of the ATX spec in order to achieve what it wants. That'd be kinda weird - setting a standard that violates another standard.

Maybe they'll redesign/modernize the ridiculous 24-pin cable into something....less obnoxious to solve the potential power issue (rather than just adding auxiliary power headers to the board). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

In regards to going outside of spec, I would surely hope that PCIe would not go outside of the ATX spec in order to achieve what it wants. That'd be kinda weird - setting a standard that violates another standard.

That doesn't need to be the case, it's up to the board manufacturers to deliver the power to the slot, how they do it is their problem to solve. All the pcie spec says is that it can theoretically deliver 300W to an expansion card.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

That doesn't need to be the case, it's up to the board manufacturers to deliver the power to the slot, how they do it is their problem to solve. All the pcie spec says is that it can theoretically deliver 300W to an expansion card.

And herein lies the problem...You might still need to update the standard if they decide they're not going to use supplemental power connectors, and quite frankly, I think updating the ATX standard is the most elegant way of doing this to allow higher integration of components.

It doesn't matter if they're saying "up to." You still need to allow it to happen, otherwise it makes no sense. Companies might try to do it, and they need a means to do it, which may involve supplemental connectors, but I'd rather see the 24-pin updated so it can be integrated there, instead of having supplemental connectors all over the board.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

And herein lies the problem...You might still need to update the standard if they decide they're not going to use supplemental power connectors, and quite frankly, I think updating the ATX standard is the most elegant way of doing this to allow higher integration of components.

It doesn't matter if they're saying "up to." You still need to allow it to happen, otherwise it makes no sense. Companies might try to do it, and they need a means to do it, which may involve supplemental connectors, but I'd rather see the 24-pin updated so it can be integrated there, instead of having supplemental connectors all over the board.

That's true, although there already are boards with an extra cpu 8-pin

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd like to see how they're going to push up to 300w through a bunch of tiny contacts in the pci express slot. It's not like there's many unused contacts to be repurposed for 12v . Maybe they can implement something to the effect of switching the 3.3v contacts to 12v by sending a command to the motherboard.

You guys are right that there's not enough 12v wires in the 24 pin connector to make it sensible to allow up to 300w in each pci express slot. Those wires can probably push up to about 200w in total to the motherboard and the 24 pin connector is so far away from pci-e slots that it would be a significant voltage drop through the motherboard.

If the ATX connector is about to be redesigned, it would make sense to add higher voltage wires like 20v to the power supply standard and dropping the -5v (already gone) and -12v (barely used for serial ports) which would make it possible to power some motherboards from 18.5-19v laptop adapters without major redesign of motherboards.

Right now there's 5.5A of current capability through the slot, which gives 75w .. with 20v it would already have 110w

On 21/8/2016 at 1:11 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

we dont have SSDs that are fast enough to use 16x(or even 8x IIRC) PCI-e 3.0 ffs, its just getting insaine lol, not that im against tech mooving forward but still...

There is the thing called "controller cards" and "raid cards" which connect more then one drive, which could benefit of that extra speed.

On 20/08/2016 at 7:24 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

WHAT NEEDS THIS BANDWITH? like its getting freaking silly, everything should be PCI-e lol, screw USB, just have a 1x slot :P but still the through put speed is just getting insaine...

Well to misquote Bill Gates: "640k RAM is as much as anyone will ever need"

On 8/20/2016 at 9:34 PM, NumLock21 said:

Pcie 4 looks the same as any other. In 15 years there won't be any nostigla on the old board with old pcie slots. Pci might, just like isa, mca, and agp.

Agp does this to me. I fully admit it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

In a few years, we may get rid of copper altogether and use laser through optical fibers to communicate with devices. A single fiber has the potential for 40-100 gbps or 12+ GB/s when pci-e v3.0 x16 is now less than 16 GB/s

It wouldn't seem far fetched for me to imagine optical fibers hidden inside the motherboard layers, going to various slots.

There are already silicon chips with transmitters and receivers built inside them, but they're still too big I guess to have several transmitters / receiver combo, one for each slot a motherboard could have. I don't see how we would have 8-16 separate transceivers inside a CPU die, to have 8-16 separate "lanes" like pci-express has. Some processors (high end Intel for example) have up to 40 pci express lanes in them.

Intel wanted to do something with fiber in the Thunderbolt specs, but switched to copper to make it possible to transmit power (10w) to connected devices for better acceptance (like USB was received). The initial specs for optical thunderbold were for 10 gbps, but the aim was for 100 gbps through optical fiber (about 12.5 GB/s - pci-e v3.0 x16 is about 15.6 GB/s and v4.0 x16 would be )

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In a few years, we may get rid of copper altogether and use laser through optical fibers to communicate with devices. A single fiber has the potential for 40-100 gbps or 12+ GB/s when pci-e v3.0 x16 is now less than 16 GB/s

It wouldn't seem far fetched for me to imagine optical fibers hidden inside the motherboard layers, going to various slots.

There are already silicon chips with transmitters and receivers built inside them, but they're still too big I guess to have several transmitters / receiver combo, one for each slot a motherboard could have. I don't see how we would have 8-16 separate transceivers inside a CPU die, to have 8-16 separate "lanes" like pci-express has. Some processors (high end Intel for example) have up to 40 pci express lanes in them.

Intel wanted to do something with fiber in the Thunderbolt specs, but switched to copper to make it possible to transmit power (10w) to connected devices for better acceptance (like USB was received). The initial specs for optical thunderbold were for 10 gbps, but the aim was for 100 gbps through optical fiber (about 12.5 GB/s - pci-e v3.0 x16 is about 15.6 GB/s and v4.0 x16 would be )

The optronic computing community said the same thing. It's not viable for short, tiny communication paths. It takes more space and hardware than a metal or metaloid interconnect. Graphene nanowires will take over from Copper eventually. Also, PCIe 5 is likely to be optical for communication, but by the time it rolls around, we may have fixed many of the mass production snags for graphene.

There is a Fiberoptic variant for long-distance thunderbolt. It's just 5x as expensive per port and per cable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd