Steam Controller Demonstration

Eroda

popped up in my youtube feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI

not sure how to embed movie directly

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

yeah. is there a way to embed the video so people can watch it in thread?

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

yeah. is there a way to embed the video so people can watch it in thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAjkbNq4xI

if using chrome click on the shield in address bar and load un safe script.

The controller looks like it handles really well!

There will be a learning curve, but I see this being allot more accurate that joystick's and an actual option for games which kinda require a mouse to be able to run properly.

Still worried about the track pads rubbing your skin too much causing irritation, but its valve, they will figure something out...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

i would really like Linus's thoughts on this

after seeing  him play portal and CSGO

it feels much accurate than using a joystick

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This looks promising - I just hope those trackpads are slippery, otherwise it would get pretty uncomfortable swiping like that for too long. Then again, current controllers hurt my hands after about half an hour - I have tiny hands so everything's a stretch.

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

The right stick essentially seems to be a mouse track-pad. I've never found it easy to play fast pace games on one but if it has the the precision it may work.

It looks like something that's going to need some practice to get used to though the same as anything new.

normaly i hate controlers but MAN this looks good 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Hmm interesting I don't know if this will replace my Xbox controller when he moved the right thumb he had to swipe alot to turn at one point where's with an analog stick it moved it once but this may be more accurate will have to wait and see also I think your sensitivity will have to be a lot higher than usual to use this in an fps which I personally don't like and I can see my thumb getting tired :/

Just as I initially thought the aesthetics of the controller are unusual and in one way or another I like it yet still in my eyes I think the 'touchpads' will be much better than analogue sticks and it seems to be quite comfortable to play on so I guess I'll wait and see until I can try it in a store or something then probably get one :D

I really love this controller.

I'm not sure it can completely replace a traditional controller, though.  IMO for platformers you really need that solid D-Pad.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I hope they discuss this on the stream tonight :D

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

oh that is tonight? man i better sleep then or ill miss it

Looks like it handles quite smooth.

You can clearly see the movements being jaggie sometimes but I want to try it out too.

Definately a way to play from your couch

144Hz goodness

Amateur.

Go fire up an old emulator and do some precision platforming and then we'll talk how amazing this controller is.

on a normal controller,when you push the analog to one side,it will keep moving/register as continuous movement until you let it go. i wonder what will happen if we put/leave our thumb (even accidentally) on the side instead of doing a swipe motion from the center? will it 'jump' away like when you touch a normal laptop touch pad or will it register as a full movement? 

Couple of things I noticed from watching that video:

• Touchpads are fully customizable, i.e. DPI settings, what each section does, etc. And they can be configured independently.
  1. They can be changed between 1:1 mode and "Thumbstick/D-Pad" mode.
    1:1 mode is a normal track pad. If your thumb isn't moving, neither is the thing you are controlling. 
    "Thumbstick/D-Pad" mode means it works like a thumbstick and/or D-Pad. As long as your thumb is in the Up direction, you will move Up (or forward, or wtv). 
  2. They can pretty much be mapped to anything. It is possible the edge of the touchpads are macros. Maybe even all of it could be pure macros. That'd be legit.
  3. Still no idea what the touchpad in the middle does. Hmm, weird.
  • The touchpads have 3 different sections to each of them. The center, the edge, and the area in between.
  1. ​The center doesn't cause movement and is a button (like a thumbstick button).
  2. The edge is (can be) a momentum switch. As in, depending on how fast you travel across the area in between the center and edge, when you hit the edge, it keeps moving for a period based on how fast you traveled. Thereby giving you the ability to quickly spin around without having to drag multiple times. This is for large sweeping motions.
  3. The area in between is used for the edge's momentum switch, and is for swiping to move for very accurate and fine movements.

Obviously, since it is fully customizable, what I described it as above could be wrong in that it is not exclusively what the parts are used for. However, I am very excited about this controller. This thing looks awesome. Hard to get used to, but awesome. I will be buying one if they offer it for Windows (until I inevitably move to Linux) and such. 

Also, the thing about the edge being a momentum switch.... that is absurdly genius. I love it. So brilliant. It makes me excited for this piece of hardware.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Doesn't look as good as a mouse and keyboard. No person (competitive or otherwise) will choose this as their primary option. But it's for those who want to play Civilization on the couch, you say? Then the developers are doing it wrong. Take Diablo 3 for instance - that's a perfect example of what you SHOULD do when porting something for an on-the-couch experience. Just doing a simple 1-to-1 port does not make any sense.

Kudos for trying, Valve, but it's poorly implemented. Not everyone can be Mayweather.

Doesn't look as good as a mouse and keyboard. No person (competitive or otherwise) will choose this as their primary option. But it's for those who want to play Civilization on the couch, you say? Then the developers are doing it wrong. Take Diablo 3 for instance - that's a perfect example of what you SHOULD do when porting something for an on-the-couch experience. Just doing a simple 1-to-1 port does not make any sense.

Kudos for trying, Valve, but it's poorly implemented. Not everyone can be Mayweather.

You didn't even watch the video. You didn't even read the thread. Why post? ... At all. Ever. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You didn't even watch the video. You didn't even read the thread. Why post? ... At all. Ever. :|

I watched the video THREE times... Just look at the Counter Strike portion and tell me that guy wouldn't get killed instantly in a match. You would be lying to yourself.

Before we get into massive keyboard+mouse vs controller debate. They both have a place in gaming. If one would be so much better then there would only be one. Even as a KB+Mouse user/gamer I still use a controller to play DMC, FIFA, SMB etc.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

when did valve say not to use keyboard and mouse? compared to a normal controller this has so much more precision, and i have no doubt that someone who can adapt to it can pub stomp  which is what console stuff is all about, getting in-front of TV and having some fun, this isnt aimed and pro couch warriors, that's what COD and Xbox is for