Starting to doubt the power of the 6700K

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,

So in conclusion, no top end intel CPU has ever been so improved that they are worth throwing the most recent previous generation machine into the garbage and building a new machine.  ...None of this is shocking news.

I was really hyped to see Skylake come out last year, and was really happy when it went mainsteam. But then I saw this review on Youtube on how terrible it was, and how we should stick to Haswell, because it made minimal impact to performance, then buying the latest i7 Haswell. I always thought the 6700K was good and reliable for overclocking, as there is really not that big of a chance hitting the low spectrum of the silicon lot. Any comments on this?

The i7-6700k is a good CPU for OC Idk what you're talking about. 

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

I think the non-k is a better choice. You get max boost of 4.0ghz anyway but at a lower TDP. Aggressive overclockers are better off trying those on the x99 platform instead. But well if people are happy with paying a little bit more on the chip and a lot more on the cooling solution and motherboard to get 5 to 10% of extra performance by all means.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Where did you hear this? The performance difference from generation to generation is always small. The 6700K is a better overclocker. You can use higher voltages and stuff.

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Where did you hear this? The performance difference from generation to generation is always small. The 6700K is a better overclocker. You can use higher voltages and stuff.

Skylake isn't that big of an improvement over Haswell refresh, that is correct. But I wouldn't buy any skylake CPU because of this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html Basically this bug can only be fixed by updating the BIOS, leaving non-techies systems in limbo on why their shit is crashing. Yay Intel!

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

The 6700k is the BEST option for a high end CPU in the gaming market, it's even marketed as a "gaming processor"

At this point, to buy a Haswell CPU is kind of pointless, unless you're going extremely high-end with haswell-e, haswell still uses DDR3 which belongs no where in 2016 + the skylake platform and ESPECIALLY the 6700k allows for EXCELLENT overclocking to at least 4.5ghz

GO SKYLAKE

btw This is coming from somebody with a 6950X

well from platform to platform (tick-tock) the newer generation is prolly 8-10% better in power output, lower energy usage, and new technologies.

jumping from haswell to skylake one should not have expected monstrous performance gains.

1 minute ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Skylake isn't that big of an improvement over Haswell refresh, that is correct. But I wouldn't buy any skylake CPU because of this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html Basically this bug can only be fixed by updating the BIOS, leaving non-techies systems in limbo on why their shit is crashing. Yay Intel!

True, but there is always googling, "How to refresh/update the BIOS"

I've got a 5ghz 6700k.

Sure I got lucky, but guess what, I don't really care. It's at 5ghz all day every day. Does it perform better than Haswell? I don't know, but my 6700k has done everything I've asked it to do. 

It's a good CPU that I bought to do what I needed it to do. 

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

well from platform to platform (tick-tock) the newer generation is prolly 8-10% better in power output, lower energy usage, and new technologies.

jumping from haswell to skylake one should not have expected monstrous performance gains.

In some games even the Ivy Bridge 2600k comes close to the 6700k in like 2-3 fps at 1080p and 1440p,CPU's are going slow compared to GPU's 

5 minutes ago, sgtrecker78 said:

ESPECIALLY the 6700k allows for EXCELLENT overclocking to at least 4.5ghz

4.5ghz on a 6700k is the starting point for an OC. If you bought a 6700k and OC'd it there, you'd be leaving performance on the table. 

2 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

I've got a 5ghz 6700k.

Sure I got lucky, but guess what, I don't really care. It's at 5ghz all day every day. Does it perform better than Haswell? I don't know, but my 6700k has done everything I've asked it to do. 

It's a good CPU that I bought to do what I needed it to do. 

Now that's the lottery xD 

8 minutes ago, airdeano said:

Heck the difference between haswell and skylake averages less than that at around 5% (3-8% from what I've seen depending on the application of course)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So Kaby Lake is coming soon, heard it was just small slight changes to Skylake

2 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Now that's the lottery xD 

Bought a 6700k from Microcenter. It was dead in the box, couldn't get it to work at all. 

RMA'd it with Intel and got this CPU from them. 5ghz at 1.39V in the bios. 

So if anything, Intel sent me a CPU that was good, and it just happened to be a REALLY good one. 

Just now, Katsunaka said:

Bought a 6700k from Microcenter. It was dead in the box, couldn't get it to work at all. 

RMA'd it with Intel and got this CPU from them. 5ghz at 1.39V in the bios. 

So if anything, Intel sent me a CPU that was good, and it just happened to be a REALLY good one. 

I've heard people getting crazy numbers like 5.5GHz with 1.35V before

3 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

I highly doubt that, 5Ghz seems to be the most for standard cooling solutions that I've seen (aka not liquid nitrogen) and generally it's higher than 1.35V since skylake can go up to 1.45 without issue.

If you want to know more about skylake overclocking @Lays would be the person to ask since I'm just going by what I've seen

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Tyrosen said:

I'm just using a H100, it's not delidded, nothing special.

My h100 is on a push pull with EK fans in a CM Mastercase Pro 5 with 3 AF140 intake fans and 1 AF140 exhaust. 

30-35 idle temps, 60-65 gaming temps, 80 on a 4+ hr Prime 95 run.

I've also got 2 Strix 1080's in the same case on a Hero Alpha motherboard with 32GB of Gskill DDR4 @ 2800mhz.

I got lucky. It's a good OC'er but it's at it's knife's edge. But at least when it does die, it'll go out at 5ghz.

7 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Are you from an alternate dimension? That's ln2 cooling territory.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

8 minutes ago, Remixt said:

Are you from an alternate dimension? That's ln2 cooling territory.

I remember it was watercooling, The guy used a peltier

48 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I highly doubt that, 5Ghz seems to be the most for standard cooling solutions that I've seen (aka not liquid nitrogen) and generally it's higher than 1.35V since skylake can go up to 1.45 without issue.

If you want to know more about skylake overclocking @Lays would be the person to ask since I'm just going by what I've seen

5 Ghz isn't standard whatsoever, according to the OCN skylake oc thread, only like 15% of 6700k can do 4.8 or higher, and they have an extremely  large sample size from the community submissions. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So to give out some numbers. Alot of you are knowing siliconlottery.com, 

They put statistics on there site which are showing how many CPU's were able to archieve there overclocks on a Asus Maximus VIII Hero board passing ROG Realbench for 1hour.

Intel 6700k @4,5GHZ - 100%

Intel 6700k @4,6GHZ - 97% @1.392V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,7GHZ - 59% @1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,8GHZ - 17% @1.424V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,9GHZ OR Higher - 2% @1.44V CPU VCORE

For me these numbers are quite interessting, because they really test a ton of CPU's to sell them for more money. Unfortunately they dont show statistics for the 4790k Processors.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

3 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

So to give out some numbers. Alot of you are knowing siliconlottery.com, 

They put statistics on there site which are showing how many CPU's were able to archieve there overclocks on a Asus Maximus VIII Hero board passing ROG Realbench for 1hour.

Intel 6700k @4,5GHZ - 100%

Intel 6700k @4,6GHZ - 97% @1.392V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,7GHZ - 59% @1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,8GHZ - 17% @1.424V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Intel 6700k @4,9GHZ OR Higher - 2% @1.44V CPU VCORE

For me these numbers are quite interessting, because they really test a ton of CPU's to sell them for more money. Unfortunately they dont show statistics for the 4790k Processors.

$600 for an i7-6700K @ 4.9GHz? Not worth it

So in conclusion, no top end intel CPU has ever been so improved that they are worth throwing the most recent previous generation machine into the garbage and building a new machine.  ...None of this is shocking news.