Starting to doubt the power of the 6700K

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,

So in conclusion, no top end intel CPU has ever been so improved that they are worth throwing the most recent previous generation machine into the garbage and building a new machine.  ...None of this is shocking news.

2 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

$600 for an i7-6700K @ 4.9GHz? Not worth it

Of course not, but the information alone is free, and if you buy a 6700k you can kind of "assess" a little bit better what you'll get. If you are not extremly unlucky you get atleast this 4,6GHZ clockable chip. If you are just average with the silicon lottery you get 4,7GHZ (nearly 2 of 3 CPU's can) and if you are lucky you get 4,8GHZ or more.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

Of course not, but the information alone is free, and if you buy a 6700k you can kind of "assess" a little bit better what you'll get. If you are not extremly unlucky you get atleast this 4,6GHZ clockable chip. If you are just average with the silicon lottery you get 4,7GHZ (nearly 2 of 3 CPU's can) and if you are lucky you get 4,8GHZ or more.

Was wondering, does Overclock void warranty and returns? Say I buy a 6700k from Newegg, OC limit is 4.4GHz. Could I trade it in for a return, buy from another site, and repeat?

11 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Was wondering, does Overclock void warranty and returns? Say I buy a 6700k from Newegg, OC limit is 4.4GHz. Could I trade it in for a return, buy from another site, and repeat?

Well unless you do serious damage that is detectable as "could only happen through overclocking" you may. But mostly overclocking is not detectable so why wouldnt you just be able to do that?  Alot of people are doing so for years with "Tray" versions of cpu's. Thats why people are buying sealed boxed versions :D

But yes it voids warranty. And putting a CPU into your mainboard socket will most likely leave marks on the IHS.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

43 minutes ago, Lays said:

5 Ghz isn't standard whatsoever, according to the OCN skylake oc thread, only like 15% of 6700k can do 4.8 or higher, and they have an extremely  large sample size from the community submissions. 

I meant that it's the most you could likely do with standard cooling not that it's common, silicon lottery makes that around 1% possibility I assume

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

-snip-

Dead out of the box? well that's actually good,since maybe it was not such a good OC'er and you would of kept it and not RMA it for a 5.0GHz 1.35v lottery

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

I meant that it's the most you could likely do with standard cooling not that it's common, silicon lottery makes that around 1% possibility I assume

If all of them 6700k's were Silicon lotteries you could achieve 5 with like a Noctua NH,Dark Rock Pro 3 or a 240mm or more sized water cooler

But would be interesting to test the Silicon Lottery with ln2

2 hours ago, Lays said:

5 Ghz isn't standard whatsoever, according to the OCN skylake oc thread, only like 15% of 6700k can do 4.8 or higher, and they have an extremely  large sample size from the community submissions. 

Agreed.  Most folks that claim this generally have lesser expectations of stability.  

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Agreed.  Most folks that claim this generally have lesser expectations of stability.  

There is another person in here that told me his is stable at 5 Ghz for prime95 at 1.39v 8 hours,  but told me he BSOD from time to time when opening games.  

Not to call him out or be rude, but I've never ever seen or owned a chip that wasn't stable in all gaming activities after it passed prime95 for a few hours. 

I primed my chip for 30 mins and called it good enough, haven't crashed since and my pc has been on for 2 months now since doing that. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

14 minutes ago, Lays said:

There is another person in here that told me his is stable at 5 Ghz for prime95 at 1.39v 8 hours,

This isn't the be all and end all of stability.  No jokes, I have a 3770K that doesn't overclock well, but the really weird bit is I can get it to 4.4ghz and it's rock solid in Prime95 for HOURS... It'll last about 4 mins in GTA5 before it blue screens and power cycles.  Crawl it back to 4.3 and GTA5 is stable.  (I could probably do 4.4 at a higher voltage, but the voltage needed makes me a bit uncomfortable)