"Absolute Silence" an attempt to build a silent, mid-range powerhouse.

Demos

Hey there all, this is my first build log! So please forgive any nooby mistakes along the way smile.gif

Current Parts List

Intel i5 3570k

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC Ghz edition

Antec HCG-M 620w PSU

Samsung 830 1208b (Boot drive)

Samsung 840 120gb (Games drive)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Removed due to noise

Fractal Arc Midi. Gone. Fractal Define R4

Antec Kuhler 620, Corsair H100i. Gone. RMA'd the Corsair H100i, could not fix pump grinding issue

Origin

In December last year I built my first gaming rig, with graphic design capabilities. It performs just as I'd like, works great in games at mid-high settings and handled Photoshop and Illustrator like a champ. My only issue with it was that it was loud when it was idle, and insanely loud at load.

In an effort to curb this, I bought a PWM Fan for my Antec Kuhler 620, which minimised my noise levels by a small amount, but the pump on the Antec was still the loudest part of my system. I put up with this for a few months until I could afford new parts, having just spent $1600NZD on my build.

d5120fee_IMG_0957.jpeg

Idea

My idea for this build log is to toy with my system and try and get the quietest possible system, while idle. I don't care a whole lot about noise-levels during gaming, as I generally wear headphones. I'd also like to attempt some minor modding in my system. Maybe a window mod in the case, or something along those lines. Suggestions are welcomed, and encouraged :)

Current status, as of 7th March 2013.

I've transplanted my system from the Arc Midi into my brand-new Fractal Define R4, I've taken out the Seagate Barracuda and placed in a second SSD, and removed the drive cages. Pictures coming soon, getting a new camera in the next few days.

I tried the Corsair H100i, unfortunately the unit I received has the un-fixable grinding pump-noise. I've tried all the firmware updates, software updates and even playing around in my BIOS. The noise was too grating on my ears and had to go. I've sent it back for a refund which should be coming in next month as well as my tax return. This should give me about $300-$400 New Zealand Dollar's to play around with.

Future Plans

My plans are:

• Install three 140mm Noctua PLX fan's in the case, replacing the stock fans
  • Installing a Noctua NH-D14 on the CPU. I'm a bit hesitant on this, can anyone recommend a near silent CPU cooler?
  • Install more sound dampening material around the case.
  • Potentially work on modifications to Chassis. Window-mod, etc. Any ideas?

If anyone has any suggestions, please do post, I'd love some encouragement and some good ideas, as well as something I may have overlooked :)

Thanks for reading!

Demos

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

Found this CPU cooler. It's a Noctua silent cooler. It has a 5 star average rating out of 98 reviews and it's on Newegg. Specifically the NH-U9B.

Link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

You can get it cheaper off of amazon.com

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Silent-Cooling-NH-U9B-SE2/dp/B0065SFEE8

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Found this CPU cooler. It's a Noctua silent cooler. It has a 5 star average rating out of 98 reviews and it's on Newegg. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016

Awesome! Thanks :) Didn't know there was a 92mm version. I'm in a toss-up between this and the Noctua NH-D14. I feel like the D14 would be be the better alternative, because of the larger heatsink and 120mm fans w/ anti-vibration mounts.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

I would never buy a CPU cooler with 92mm fans. There are many alternatives. You can also get a Thermalright HR-02 Macho, basicaly a passive HR-02 with a 140mm low-RPM fan.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I would never buy a CPU cooler with 92mm fans. There are many alternatives. You can also get a Thermalright HR-02 Macho' date=' basicaly a passive HR-02 with a 140mm low-RPM fan.[/quote']

That's a good suggestion! However how would it be for over-clocking? I'm going to think of attempting to push my CPU up past 4.5ghz.

I'll need to get LP Ram if I go for a Noctua NH-D14.

I've got two options, Mushkin Blackline Frost or Corsair Vengance LP Ram.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=18346

or

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15720

Any thoughts or opinions?

I would get the Corsair LP Ram. Cheaper and doesn't have the bumps in the heatsink :P

\

I would get the Corsair LP Ram. Cheaper and doesn't have the bumps in the heatsink :P

Agreed, plus the blue LP Corsair would look better on my board.

Now I'm in a predicament, For the price of the NH-D14 I could get an XSPC W/c cooling kit

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=17081

Anyone have any experience with this?

This is how the Noctua NHU9B does

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-U9B_SE2/5.html

Were the original i5's big heat creator's?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm in a toss-up between this and the Noctua NH-D14. I feel like the D14 would be be the better alternative' date=' because of the larger heatsink and 120mm fans w/ anti-vibration mounts.[/quote']

Just make sure you run the included fan speed reducers, else you will end up with a "humming" noise.

MY RIG:

WHITE BITFENIX SHINOBI WINDOW EDITION - AMD ATHLON X4 740 (SOCKET FM2) - GIGABYTE F2-A85XM-D3H - OCZ GOLD SERIES 4GB - NOCTUA NH-D14 - ATI RADEON 5850 2GB VAPOR-X - OCZ ZS-SERIES 550W PSU - WINDOWS 8 64BIT

This is how the Noctua NHU9B does http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-U9B_SE2/5.html Were the original i5's big heat creator's?

Ahhh cool! I'm not too sure, I've got a 3rd gen IvyBridge i5.

I'm in a toss-up between this and the Noctua NH-D14. I feel like the D14 would be be the better alternative' date=' because of the larger heatsink and 120mm fans w/ anti-vibration mounts.[/quote'] Just make sure you run the included fan speed reducers, else you will end up with a "humming" noise.

Yeah fair enough! I've actually been thinking of getting the ThermalRight True Spirit 140, and then just getting Noctua case fans and control them with the R4's inbuilt fan speed controller.

The D14 would be silent and you would be able to overclock your CPU just as much as you'd want.

UPDATE

I've RMA'd my Corsair H100i, and am using the stock cooler for now. I think I'll be getting the ThermalRight True Spirit 140 for my CPU cooler. Then it'll be time to upgrade case fans to the Noctua 140mm's and I should be nearly done.

5x6038o.jpg

I7kStJM.jpg

• 1 month later...

Agreed, plus the blue LP Corsair would look better on my board.

Now I'm in a predicament, For the price of the NH-D14 I could get an XSPC W/c cooling kit

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=17081

Anyone have any experience with this?

Im using the XSPC water cooling kit and im getting reasonable sys temps but i need to re apply my thermal paste.  Pretty hard finding good noctuas here in NZ was going to get some for my build

Are the fractal fans silent? They sell them standalone now, and I was looking into them as a fellow silence enthusiast.

Are the fractal fans silent? They sell them standalone now, and I was looking into them as a fellow silence enthusiast.

they are pretty quiet although i only run them at half speed

Im using the XSPC water cooling kit and im getting reasonable sys temps but i need to re apply my thermal paste.  Pretty hard finding good noctuas here in NZ was going to get some for my build

Yeah totally agree, have to go with TechWorld or Computer lounge, and they'll be $50 each!

The stock fans aren't quiet enough for me, they are pretty quiet at 7v.

I'm going to be ordering the Noctua NH-U12s which is an awesome price for the quality of the product. Trying to find a decent, cheap 140mm fan.

id go with techworld if you can. got all my watercooling stuff through them way faster then computer lounge. tell me how well they perform as i want some noctuas too

id go with techworld if you can. got all my watercooling stuff through them way faster then computer lounge. tell me how well they perform as i want some noctuas too

Oh they'll be fantastic, they're Noctua ;D

Computer Lounge are pretty decent, they got my order to me in about 3 days, however PC Force are the best retailer in NZ. Haven't bought anything from Tech World yet.

Oh btw, Computer Lounge sell nearly every single GPU's waterblock and backplate.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the fractal fans silent? They sell them standalone now, and I was looking into them as a fellow silence enthusiast.

I run my fractal fans at 12V and I can't hear them at all. I also have an Define R4 so that may help with noise reduction. You'll have a good time with them though.