Intel vs. AMD Decesions

Okay, at the end of the month I'm definitely grabbing a new Processor for my PC. Right now I only have an i5-2400, which is quite nice, but I'd like to be able to fiddle around with OCing, so I've decided to upgrade. This PC is going to have 2 GTX 660s in SLI, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3 G-Skill Sniper Series RAM. However, my biggest issue is, do you think I should go with the 4570k for the PCI-e 3.0 capabilities, or should I go with something like an 8350 or A10-6800k from AMD since it's cheaper. Is the PCI-e 3.0 actually worth it?

NZXT S340 Elite | Intel Core i7-8700k | 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 | Asus Strix z370e | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | Corsair CX750M

Okay, at the end of the month I'm definitely grabbing a new Processor for my PC. Right now I only have an i5-2400, which is quite nice, but I'd like to be able to fiddle around with OCing, so I've decided to upgrade. This PC is going to have 2 GTX 660s in SLI, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3 G-Skill Sniper Series RAM. However, my biggest issue is, do you think I should go with the 4570k for the PCI-e 3.0 capabilities, or should I go with something like an 8350 or A10-6800k from AMD since it's cheaper. Is the PCI-e 3.0 actually worth it?

So much wasting money. Why 2133MHz ddr3? just get nice CL9 (CAS 9) 1600Mhz, same speed in real applications.

2x GTX 660 is bad idea, vram bottleneck before you know it.

i5-2400 is still much faster than AMDs offerings for the gaming side of things except some rare cases of more than quad core using games. I dont see any reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Haswell. Sandy Bridge will serve you well until something happens to your PC (it explodes or whatever)... because i expect Intel to finally break the +50% performance compared to Sandy Bridge around 2016-2017. Before you NEED the extra few % performance that comes from overclocking and Haswell architecture, there is no NEED to waste money.

Just get a single 7990 for 600$ now and call it a day if your motherboard doesn't have 2x Pcie 2.0 x16. If it has, then get 2x 7970/r9 280x.

If you want a high-end gaming build AMD CPUs are out of equation if you are sane and don't like wasting money. (i'm talking about current AMD CPUs, perhaps they will release something better in 1-2 years).

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

i read it as

Intel vs Democrats

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So much wasting money. Why 2133MHz ddr3? just get nice CL9 (CAS 9) 1600Mhz, same speed in real applications.

2x GTX 660 is bad idea, vram bottleneck before you know it.

i5-2400 is still much faster than AMDs offerings for the gaming side of things except some rare cases of more than quad core using games. I dont see any reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Haswell. Sandy Bridge will serve you well until something happens to your PC (it explodes or whatever)... because i expect Intel to finally break the +50% performance compared to Sandy Bridge around 2016-2017. Before you NEED the extra few % performance that comes from overclocking and Haswell architecture, there is no NEED to waste money.

Just get a single 7990 for 600$ now and call it a day if your motherboard doesn't have 2x Pcie 2.0 x16. If it has, then get 2x 7970/r9 280x.

If you want a high-end gaming build AMD CPUs are out of equation if you are sane and don't like wasting money. (i'm talking about current AMD CPUs, perhaps they will release something better in 1-2 years).

I have the 2133Mhz only becuause Newegg had them on sale for $60 per 8GB (2x4GB) back in Feb.

As for the GTX 660s, they were also on sale for 150 ea when I got them. I'm not worred about VRAM, I only run 2 24" Monitors, and even at 1080p it's fine, because I only use 1 of the monitors for Gaming and the other 1 I use for web and such. 2GB is probably even Overkill for just that. I have 2 660s just for the slight extra performance to decrease the lag in certain instances. I'm not looking for the Highest end build there is, I'm too poor for that. I just have a bonus coming up where I get to throw some extra money in.

$600 is too much money though. I'd be more interested in a 690/780 if I had that much money.

As for as the choosing CPU's go though, I suppose that answered my question. I still want to fiddle around with OCing though, So I'm still going to buy a new processor just for that, but I'll go with the 3570k So I can save money and keep my current mobo.

Thanks.

Edit: also, my 2133 is C9 as well. So really it's adds about .01% performance that was totally woth it!!!!

i read it as

Intel vs Democrats

I have no quirrel with either Intel or AMD. I see people argue about which one is better overall all the time. Honestly though, I've only ever used Intel, so I can't actually testify against AMD at all. That's why I asked the question.

NZXT S340 Elite | Intel Core i7-8700k | 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 | Asus Strix z370e | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | Corsair CX750M

I have the 2133Mhz only becuause Newegg had them on sale for $60 per 8GB (2x4GB) back in Feb.

As for the GTX 660s, they were also on sale for 150 ea when I got them. I'm not worred about VRAM, I only run 2 24" Monitors, and even at 1080p it's fine, because I only use 1 of the monitors for Gaming and the other 1 I use for web and such. 2GB is probably even Overkill for just that. I have 2 660s just for the slight extra performance to decrease the lag in certain instances. I'm not looking for the Highest end build there is, I'm too poor for that. I just have a bonus coming up where I get to throw some extra money in.

$600 is too much money though. I'd be more interested in a 690/780 if I had that much money.

As for as the choosing CPU's go though, I suppose that answered my question. I still want to fiddle around with OCing though, So I'm still going to buy a new processor just for that, but I'll go with the 3570k So I can save money and keep my current mobo.

Thanks.

Edit: also, my 2133 is C9 as well. So really it's adds about .01% performance that was totally woth it!!!!

I have no quirrel with either Intel or AMD. I see people argue about which one is better overall all the time. Honestly though, I've only ever used Intel, so I can't actually testify against AMD at all. That's why I asked the question.

You're getting a new CPU, motherboard and CPU cooler and yet you say you are too por to get a new GPU or something?

Save your money for later, just get a Maxwell next year if you need power in games. Your CPU is still really fast, faster than anything AMD ever had when talking about single-thread. No need to waste money on new CPU.

Sandy -> AMD = downgrade in my eyes when it comes to gaming and sooo many other things that require simple fast single thread.

I'd only consider Sandy i5 -> Haswell i7 if you wanted to overclock hard and had too much money to spend. Sandy i5 -> Haswell i5 + overclock sounds like waste of money.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

You're getting a new CPU, motherboard and CPU cooler and yet you say you are too por to get a new GPU or something?

Save your money for later, just get a Maxwell next year if you need power in games. Your CPU is still really fast, faster than anything AMD ever had when talking about single-thread. No need to waste money on new CPU.

Sandy -> AMD = downgrade in my eyes when it comes to gaming and sooo many other things that require simple fast single thread.

I'd only consider Sandy i5 -> Haswell i7 if you wanted to overclock hard and had too much money to spend. Sandy i5 -> Haswell i5 + overclock sounds like waste of money.

I was going to grab a new CPU and motherbaord If you said AMD was worth it. because a new mobo+AMD processor adds up to around 250-300 dollars. I'm not getting a new cooler though. My cooler has brackets for AMD and Intel both already. Basically, since you said AMD is worse than Intel when gaming is concerned, the only other thing I want to do now is fiddle with OCing. With a 2400 I can't do that, so I'll choose a 3570k, keep my same mobo, keep my same cooler, and just switch out the processor so I can begin to learn new things.

I was going to grab a new CPU and motherbaord If you said AMD was worth it. because a new mobo+AMD processor adds up to around 250-300 dollars. I'm not getting a new cooler though. My cooler has brackets for AMD and Intel both already. Basically, since you said AMD is worse than Intel when gaming is concerned, the only other thing I want to do now is fiddle with OCing. With a 2400 I can't do that, so I'll choose a 3570k, keep my same mobo, keep my same cooler, and just switch out the processor so I can begin to learn new things.

Feel free to waste money on outdated CPU (Haswell > Ivy Bridge > Sandy Bridge) just to get some overclock which should give you about 20% faster CPU at 4500Mhz if you are lucky to go there, with as little as some 200ish dollars.

I'm telling you, not worth it. And overclocking is really easy, i dont see why it would be worth spending 200$+ to learn it the hard way if you dont need to learn something that easy, just read one tutorial.

But do whatever pleases you, good luck. :)

Get a i5 2500k or a i7 2600k and keep your current board, pci-express 3.0 is not much better 2.0 (you will not even notice any diffrence)

I would go 2500k if I could find one.

Feel free to waste money on outdated CPU (Haswell > Ivy Bridge > Sandy Bridge) just to get some overclock which should give you about 20% faster CPU at 4500Mhz if you are lucky to go there, with as little as some 200ish dollars.

I'm telling you, not worth it. And overclocking is really easy, i dont see why it would be worth spending 200$+ to learn it the hard way if you dont need to learn something that easy, just read one tutorial.

But do whatever pleases you, good luck. :)

Because a 2400 can't be overclocked. Sure, I can read about it all day, but it's much better to learn by doing something than by just reading others doing it. That's like asking a guy who's driving a lambo if it's nice, then telling everyone that you know it's nice, even though you have 0 experience in it. It would be much more fun to actually do it yourself, not to mention, you'd have the experience. That's why. It's not a waste of money for that reason alone.

Because a 2400 can't be overclocked. Sure, I can read about it all day, but it's much better to learn by doing something than by just reading others doing it. That's like asking a guy who's driving a lambo if it's nice, then telling everyone that you know it's nice, even though you have 0 experience in it. It would be much more fun to actually do it yourself, not to mention, you'd have the experience. That's why. It's not a waste of money for that reason alone.

Lambo might be much faster than your current car.

I5 ivy is not much faster than i5 Sandy. But alright.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Lambo might be much faster than your current car.

I5 ivy is not much faster than i5 Sandy. But alright.

It's not about the speed, it's about learning to OC with hands on experience.

Also, there's not many cars that my car is faster than. I'm willing to bet your car isn't faster than one either, though. However, I was just using an anology.

Those are more expensive than the 3570k though...

In your signature it says you have a Z77 motherboard, have you tried adjusting the CPU multiplier in bios? Since you should be able to raise the multiplier of your current i5 by 400mhz (giving you 3.6ghz when all four cores are active rather than the stock 3.2ghz and turbo up above that when less threads are used (as it does at stock too)). Maybe that's not very interesting to do but you could even if you really wanted to raise the BCLK to gain a few more hundred mhz but only if you understand it fully and the risks it has (data corruption).

This review for example explains some of that http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/44339-intel-core-i3-2120-core-i5-2400-lga1155-processors-review-17.html

Also the way you mention pcie 3 and Haswell I'm not sure if you know that pcie 3 was introduced with Ivy bridge cpus, so a 3570k or 3770k on your motherboard would give you pcie 3 (but not close to being required really especially with your current gpus). If you really wanted to just have a cpu to push to the limit and can sell your current cpu I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to get an ivy-k cpu, but I would probably go straight to 3770k if I already had a motherboard and good cooler - i.e. to max out the platform and get a massive gpu upgrade a few generations away.

I don't think two 660s were a bad choice either by the way, more horsepower at 1080p than a 680 (maybe even closer to a 780) and makes more sense than 660ti sli that people here used to favour (due to 660 and 660ti sharing the same memory configuration, 192bit 2gb, but being a weaker and cheaper card - so limitations of the memory will be less likely to show itself as an issue).

I would go 2500k if I could find one.

eBay. You can even find good deals on 2600k/2700k chips once and awhile. If I had more cash on hand, I'd gladly drop in a 2700k and sell my 2500k.

Get a i5 2500k or a i7 2600k and keep your current board, pci-express 3.0 is not much better 2.0 (you will not even notice any diffrence)

Do this or an 8350

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Are you running a Z77 m/board then go for the newer CPU that you can afford to buy and keep the m/board for a little longer, unless you want to do a fresh install and then go for a deal and get new m/board now if you can afford it.

got to love Asus components

i have 8350 with crossfire 7970, huge bottleneck in games like bf3, so id say go with a 4670k or in my casee ill be getting a 4700k

This choice should be depend on your budget, not which company your prefer the most, otherwise you will not receive the best performance for the budget you are willing to spend. For lower budget systems, go with AMD, no questions asked. Their processors and APUs provide the best price to performance and will exceed processors from Intel at the same price point. However if you have a large budget Intel is the way to go, if you can afford to buy an Intel processor you will see a performance increase over the same tier AMD CPU. This is excellent for higher end PCs which need the extra performance. As for the PCI-E 3.0 there isn't too much of a difference with FPS therefore you can go with an AMD CPU, such as the AMD FX-8350 and a sound card due to the less expensive motherboard.

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Hello!

i am not like the others that i will change ur mind of getting new CPU.

So if u wantoc to 4.0 GHZ+ Sandy bridge have the best overclocking CPUs from intel. get a i5 2500k or a 2600k and u can OC to 4.8 ghz what i know mabye even higher.

But if u want to go with haswell i5 4670k is a great choice. But what i heard haswell had some heat issues on some CPUs but if u buy haswell hope to not get a bad chip.

GtX 660s in dual is still very powerfull and would be a good choice.

but if u can sqeeze up some more money to dual 760s would be cool to..

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Hello!

i am not like the others that i will change ur mind of getting new CPU.

So if u wantoc to 4.0 GHZ+ Sandy bridge have the best overclocking CPUs from intel. get a i5 2500k or a 2600k and u can OC to 4.8 ghz what i know mabye even higher.

But if u want to go with haswell i5 4670k is a great choice. But what i heard haswell had some heat issues on some CPUs but if u buy haswell hope to not get a bad chip.

GtX 660s in dual is still very powerfull and would be a good choice.

but if u can sqeeze up some more money to dual 760s would be cool to..

Sandy Bridge at 4,8GHz will have trouble competing with Haswell at 4,2GHz... not to mention any instruction sets introduced.

FYI the SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 has PCI 3.0 support...

But I would suggest personally just upgrading your socket LGA1155 to a better Intel CPU and wait to see what the future holds, as to be honest graphics cards dont max out PCI 2.0 yet...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Sandy Bridge at 4,8GHz will have trouble competing with Haswell at 4,2GHz... not to mention any instruction sets introduced.

While that's true, you also have to keep in mind that Sandy Bridge CPUs overclock considerably better.

On average you'd need the same sort of cooling to run a Sandy Bridge CPU at 5.0Ghz, an Ivy Bridge CPU at 4.5Ghz and a Haswell at 4.2Ghz.

Sandy Bridge supports all the instruction sets of Jaguar, which is the core used in the next-gen consoles, so there would be no issues here.

i have 8350 with crossfire 7970, huge bottleneck in games like bf3, so id say go with a 4670k or in my casee ill be getting a 4700k

You sure its the 8350 causing the bottleneck?

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb