Have a leftover 460 What can I do with it?

benga
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
18 minutes ago, benga said:

I upgraded to a GTX 960 and gave my old 7850 to my brother now we have a leftover 460SE. Is there anything we can do with it? Can I plug it in with my 960 and utilize it somehow? maybe fold with it or something?

Upgrade an old PC. Say, you are like me and you have a trash Radeon HD 4350 on an LGA 775 machine: upgrade that. Upgrading a friend's PC that has a dead card / using it as a birthday gift or something is also an option.

If those don't apply, slap it into your current rig and have it work for Boinc / Folding. At least your card will be useful for something other than collect dust. While not the best thing ever, the 460 is still decent enough to do some crunching

Last, sell it. It's always an option to try and get a bit of cash out of it.

I upgraded to a GTX 960 and gave my old 7850 to my brother now we have a leftover 460SE. Is there anything we can do with it? Can I plug it in with my 960 and utilize it somehow? maybe fold with it or something?

sell it, you are better off with those $20-$30 you can get for it lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would keep it it might be worth more money in the future. 

Mail it to me.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

18 minutes ago, benga said:

Upgrade an old PC. Say, you are like me and you have a trash Radeon HD 4350 on an LGA 775 machine: upgrade that. Upgrading a friend's PC that has a dead card / using it as a birthday gift or something is also an option.

If those don't apply, slap it into your current rig and have it work for Boinc / Folding. At least your card will be useful for something other than collect dust. While not the best thing ever, the 460 is still decent enough to do some crunching

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

So I am wanting to use it for folding but can I have both my 960 and 460se plugged into the PC while using my 960 for the computer while the 460se just for folding?

22 minutes ago, Mizard said:

I would keep it it might be worth more money in the future. 

Heh, maybe in 100 years when its an antique.

Just now, benga said:

So I am wanting to use it for folding but can I have both my 960 and 460se plugged into the PC while using my 960 for the computer while the 460se just for folding?

Yes. I used to have a 970 for gaming crunching with a Radeon 6670 on the same rig. So long as F@H supports it (and I believe it does for the 460), it'll work just fine.

Head over to the Folding / Boinc / Mining subsection of the forum if you have any troubles and need specific help setting it up.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

Yes. I used to have a 970 for gaming crunching with a Radeon 6670 on the same rig. So long as F@H supports it (and I believe it does for the 460), it'll work just fine.

Head over to the Folding / Boinc / Mining subsection of the forum if you have any troubles and need specific help setting it up.

Plugged it into the extra slot and folds like a charm. Should have done this sooner! thanks

1 hour ago, benga said:

scientific method of cooking

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

I had an old 9800GT laying around and i decided to build a nice little system for my little brother who is 11 years old, he loves playing Minecraft on it. Graphics card works well too.