gaming in 1440p

djewell314

What is your recommendations for a graphics card to play games in 1440p?

is a 780 overkill?

EDIT: if the current speculated prices of the 290x are true i'm going to get a 780. hopefully the prices will fall soon.

Depends on the game. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What is your recommendations for a graphics card to play games in 1440p?

is a 780 overkill?

EDIT: if the current speculated prices of the 290x are true i'm going to get a 780. hopefully the prices will fall soon.

It also greatly depends on the FPS you are looking for, as well, at those resolutions.

Remember.....1440 and up, are only 60Hz.

It also greatly depends on the FPS you are looking for, as well, at those resolutions.

getting an ips screen so only 60hz anyway

Not if you buy a Korean X-Star or QNIX or similar, which are overclockable up to 144hz

Not if you buy a Korean X-Star or QNIX or similar, which are overclockable up to 144hz

ASUS pb278q

Get the strongest card you can possibly get. Expect at least half the fps you get on a 1080p screen. 

ASUS pb278q

Which is an LED-LCD backlit monitor, where as the Korean ones are IPS which is why they're so amaze-balls

A IPS and/or PLS panel can go to 144Hz?  2560x1440 and beyond?

A IPS and/or PLS panel can go to 144Hz? 2560x1440 and beyond?

I know you can with 1440p, but it is mostly limited to around 110hz though some get to 120hz. Also to get 144hz I think you need a custom PCB for a catleap monitor

most IPS panels can't go over 75Hz... some can do 90Hz but it's a matter of luck

most IPS panels can't go over 75Hz... some can do 90Hz but it's a matter of luck

Most Korean monitors like the xstar, qnix and the likes can do a minimum of around 100...

Which is an LED-LCD backlit monitor, where as the Korean ones are IPS which is why they're so amaze-balls

The ASUS PB278Q is a PLS panel.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

The Asus PB278Q had an 8-bit Samsung LED backlit PLS panel.  The Korean monitors aren't >75Hz as standard, they have to be overclocked which isn't a true refresh rate.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Most Korean monitors like the xstar, qnix and the likes can do a minimum of around 100...

Where?! Where did you see one overclocked at 100Hz?

The asus has the better panel and warranty. When you overclock the Korean monitors it can deteriorate the quality of the picture.You're much better off spending the little extra to get the Asus. 

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

when did this become a post about different monitors and not graphics cards?

GTX 780 or R9 290X. However, I'm going to recommend you to buy a MSi Lightning version of those cards. They overclock really well and the build quality of the card it's self is outstanding. They are about $100 more than your standard 'vanilla' graphics card, but they are well worth the money. My two 7970 Lightning Editions from MSi are outstanding and I feel honored to be playing with them. Sorry for the MSi fan-boy-ism, but I can only recommend MSi video cards... hope this helps.  

The 780 Classified is $50 more and is extremely well made. Not sure how it performs against the Lightning though. 

Dont go any less than 3gb vram, definately not overkill. In fact what is these days? Will a titan max out 1080p games in two years time

with full aa? Debatable

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

A 780 should be good, although I think a 770 might almost be enough.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]