Windows 7 on USB ?

Nebby

So I say Windows 7 on a USB meaning, I download the ISO file/folder onto the USB, plug the USB into my new computer, and then it'll just install it off the USB. My question is, can it be any typical USB flash drive?

Yeah just any USB 2 or 3.0 with enough space should do perfectly.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

Yeah just any USB 2 or 3.0 with enough space should do perfectly.

Alright thanks

Needs to be a 4GB USB drive at least.

And you should install windows 10, not windows 7 which is old.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Nebby said:

So I say Windows 7 on a USB meaning, I download the ISO file/folder onto the USB, plug the USB into my new computer, and then it'll just install it off the USB. My question is, can it be any typical USB flash drive?

To be exact, you cannot just download the ISO onto the flash drive and boot off that. You will have to properly format and extract the files within the ISO. I recommend using RUFUS to do this. Its a great little piece of software that can format USB keys for pretty much any OS application.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

When in doubt, re-format.

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Needs to be a 4GB USB drive at least.

And you should install windows 10, not windows 7 which is old.

Well there is nothing wrong with W7, yes it's older but that's about it.

You can perfectly use it if you want to like i do.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well there is nothing wrong with W7, yes it's older but that's about it.

You can perfectly use it if you want to like i do.

It's slower, doesn't any of the new features, and looks worse...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

44 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Looks are subjective, slower depends on how you use it, i am more efficient in W7 than in W10 because i'm used to W7 and not to W10.

One of the biggest issues hurting my efficiency is the mess they made of pc settings and the control panel.

And the 2-3% in benchmarks isn't enough to notice an improvement during gaming.

Yes it lacks featues W10 has, but i personally don't care, i don't miss any of those features.

I don't need cortana or whatever :P 

And talking about looks, with W7 you can tweak the sh*t out of it with themes and stuff, but since W10 MS actively fights against this.

Custom themes completely broke since 1511 and they gave a silly reason for it that's complete BS, something with backgrounds that aren't supported or something.

To slap some numbers against it, since the release 1 year ago, there are 5-6 custom W10 iso's.

Compare that to W7, i found 7 custom iso's from the last few months. And there are many more out there if you look for it :P

The windows customization scene is dying because MS wants it to die...

So enjoy the look it has because that's the only one you will ever get.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Looks are subjective, slower depends on how you use it, i am more efficient in W7 than in W10 because i'm used to W7 and not to W10.

One of the biggest issues hurting my efficiency is the mess they made of pc settings and the control panel.

And the 2-3% in benchmarks isn't enough to notice an improvement during gaming.

Yes it lacks featues W10 has, but i personally don't care, i don't miss any of those features.

I don't need cortana or whatever :P 

And talking about looks, with W7 you can tweak the sh*t out of it with themes and stuff, but since W10 MS actively fights against this.

Custom themes completely broke since 1511 and they gave a silly reason for it that's complete BS, something with backgrounds that aren't supported or something.

To slap some numbers against it, since the release 1 year ago, there are 5-6 custom W10 iso's.

Compare that to W7, i found 7 custom iso's from the last few months. And there are many more out there if you look for it :P

The windows customization scene is dying because MS wants it to die...

So enjoy the look it has because that's the only one you will ever get.

The control panel is exactly the same as it is in windows 7, so clearly you have either not used or don't know how to use windows 10.

how_to_open_control_panel_in_windows_10_

And custom themes do work on the anniversary update. Again, you don't know anything about windows 10.

Also rainmeter works just fine.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The control panel is exactly the same as it is in windows 7, so clearly you have either not used or don't know how to use windows 10.

how_to_open_control_panel_in_windows_10_

And custom themes do work on the anniversary update. Again, you don't know anything about windows 10.

Also rainmeter works just fine.

Yes control panel works, but things like windows update aren't in it and for that you have to dive in the pc settings panel which is annoying. It's not centralized anymore and you constantly jump between the 2.

Changing resolution is a good example of this, it first goes to pc settings thing and when you go to advanced settings it hops to the control panel, there's no need for that! 

I have used W10 for 4 months btw, it was on my notebook for school so i used it every day.

And i don't like rainmeter, tried it multiple times but i never got the impression it was integrated properly, it always looked like some junk that was all over the place.

Also what would rainmeter solve? It doesn't change the look of the explorer or the start menu.

Yes i have tried classic shell and that solved the start menu to a certain degree but i still wasn't happy with it.

Just an FYI, i still use W10 now and then because it's on most systems at my school and some of my family members use it (i have to fix stuff sometimes when it's broken). Or when i'm dusting off my old netbook, yes it has W10, just because it can somehow.

edit: if you have some nice custom themes it would be nice to share them, and don't send the silly themes that only have a color and a bunch of backgrounds, i'm expecting proper custom themes.

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yes control panel works, but things like windows update aren't in it and for that you have to dive in the pc settings panel which is annoying. It's not centralized anymore and you constantly jump between the 2.

Changing resolution is a good example of this, it first goes to pc settings thing and when you go to advanced settings it hops to the control panel, there's no need for that! 

I have used W10 for 4 months btw, it was on my notebook for school so i used it every day.

And i don't like rainmeter, tried it multiple times but i never got the impression it was integrated properly, it always looked like some junk that was all over the place.

Also what would rainmeter solve? It doesn't change the look of the explorer or the start menu.

Yes i have tried classic shell and that solved the start menu to a certain degree but i still wasn't happy with it.

Just an FYI, i still use W10 now and then because it's on most systems at my school and some of my family members use it (i have to fix stuff sometimes when it's broken). Or when i'm dusting off my old netbook, yes it has W10, just because it can somehow.

1) you can change windows 10 explorer and other stuff with custom made themes

Spoiler

Windows-10-Theme-GTK.jpg

2) rainmeter is something you use to customize the desktop to YOUR liking, because you can code it yourself (or look for something made by someone else)

3) to change resolution just make a shortcut to control panel in the start menu....

4) start menu is just fine, idk why you need to bother changing it, maybe you're like my grandparents that don't like change?

5) windows installs updates automatically, there is no reason to need to go into the settings panel for anything to do with updates.

To me it seems like you're just another one of those people that sees something different and immediately dislikes it due to lazyness of not wanting to learn something new.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

1) you can change windows 10 explorer and other stuff with custom made themes

2) rainmeter is something you use to customize the desktop to YOUR liking, because you can code it yourself (or look for something made by someone else)

3) to change resolution just make a shortcut to control panel in the start menu....

4) start menu is just fine, idk why you need to bother changing it, maybe you're like my grandparents that don't like change?

5) windows installs updates automatically, there is no reason to need to go into the settings panel for anything to do with updates.

To me it seems like you're just another one of those people that sees something different and immediately dislikes it due to lazyness of not wanting to learn something new.

1) Good, send me some

2)I know what rainmeter is, again i have used it and i was never happy with it, and again what should it solve?

3)Yea sure make a shortcut for everything and make a big mess of it, that solves it!

4) i don't like the new start menu, i prefer the 2 column layout, nothing wrong with a personal preference right?

And W7 custom themes can make it imo look great.

5) As i said i'm used to W7, and i have to make sometimes a W10 system ready to use and then it's nice to check the update status, and everytime i check the control panel first because that's where it was and i'm expecting it to still be there, but it's suddenly gone and then get to it via PC settings.

Again i tried W10 for 4 MONTHS, that's quite a long time, and i have given it a fair try but i just don't like it as much as W7. But the fact i'm not on W10 is because of bugs i encountered and are still not fixed >_>

I have a quite exotic monitor setup that works fine on W7 but does not work on W10. And that's the main reason i'm forced to stick with W7. I spent about 2 months ago 30+ hours trying to fix it but it just wouldn't work.

14 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

1) Good, send me some

2)I know what rainmeter is, again i have used it and i was never happy with it, and again what should it solve?

3)Yea sure make a shortcut for everything and make a big mess of it, that solves it!

4) i don't like the new start menu, i prefer the 2 column layout, nothing wrong with a personal preference right?

And W7 custom themes can make it imo look great.

5) As i said i'm used to W7, and i have to make sometimes a W10 system ready to use and then it's nice to check the update status, and everytime i check the control panel first because that's where it was and i'm expecting it to still be there, but it's suddenly gone and then get to it via PC settings.

Again i tried W10 for 4 MONTHS, that's quite a long time, and i have given it a fair try but i just don't like it as much as W7. But the fact i'm not on W10 is because of bugs i encountered and are still not fixed >_>

I have a quite exotic monitor setup that works fine on W7 but does not work on W10. And that's the main reason i'm forced to stick with W7. I spent about 2 months ago 30+ hours trying to fix it but it just wouldn't work.

1) go on devianart and look for them, there are plenty. This one is my favourite: http://cleodesktop.deviantart.com/art/Hover-Dark-Aero-Theme-Windows10-Anniversary-Update-626843312

2) to customize stuff...

3) the new start menu makes it very easy to make a shortcut for your programs and organize them, now I have 0 icons on my desktop and it looks great.

4) having instant access to all your programs at a single click is far better than the previous start menu.

5) why check update status when there is a notification that tells you when it is done and you need to restart?

6) if you found any bugs then it's probably because you upgraded instead of doing a clean install the proper way. I have clean installed windows 10 on 3 machines and had none of the issues that people complain about due to upgrading from 7 or 8.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) go on devianart and look for them, there are plenty. This one is my favourite: http://cleodesktop.deviantart.com/art/Hover-Dark-Aero-Theme-Windows10-Anniversary-Update-626843312

2) to customize stuff...

3) the new start menu makes it very easy to make a shortcut for your programs and organize them, now I have 0 icons on my desktop and it looks great.

4) having instant access to all your programs at a single click is far better than the previous start menu.

5) why check update status when there is a notification that tells you when it is done and you need to restart?

6) if you found any bugs then it's probably because you upgraded instead of doing a clean install the proper way. I have clean installed windows 10 on 3 machines and had none of the issues that people complain about due to upgrading from 7 or 8.

1) UXTheme doesn't work for me, when i reboot it completely ruins the OS, common problem and there is no fix for it, check the github page, i'm not the only one.

2) I want to change the things the OS has, not add things

3) Having every shortcut in the start menu instead being on the desktop isn't really useful... i prefer to have an empty desktop and start menu that has the basic links to control panel, documents, pictures and such. I don't use shortcuts in general... The only thing i use often that you can call a shortcut are the chrome and explorer buttons pinned to my task bar.

4) 1 click = all programs? Sounds like asking for a mess... A 3-4 layer system is usually ideal, that's why they try to implement such systems in big companies with a lot of employess.

5) Because it only tells me when it's done, that's exactly the issue. How am i suppose to know it's checking updates or downloading without checking it myself? Notifications are good when you have a system that's already going for a while but for a fresh install it's a must to keep the updates going. Keeping an eye on it until it's completely done is needed to get the system ready for use.

6) Nope, no upgrade, 11 fresh installs with 4 different iso's. I'm not making it up btw, i even tried 2 completely different systems and both showed the exactly same issue.

Yes i actually took the effort to botch together a system together with a friend with the exact same monitor setup with different monitors and a complete different system and that even didn't work. Just to be sure it wasn't my system or anything. So it's possible to reproduce the bug i encountered on other systems.

18 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

1) UXTheme doesn't work for me, when i reboot it completely ruins the OS, common problem and there is no fix for it, check the github page, i'm not the only one.

2) I want to change the things the OS has, not add things

3) Having every shortcut in the start menu instead being on the desktop isn't really useful... i prefer to have an empty desktop and start menu that has the basic links to control panel, documents, pictures and such. I don't use shortcuts in general... The only thing i use often that you can call a shortcut are the chrome and explorer buttons pinned to my task bar.

4) 1 click = all programs? Sounds like asking for a mess... A 3-4 layer system is usually ideal, that's why they try to implement such systems in big companies with a lot of employess.

5) Because it only tells me when it's done, that's exactly the issue. How am i suppose to know it's checking updates or downloading without checking it myself? Notifications are good when you have a system that's already going for a while but for a fresh install it's a must to keep the updates going. Keeping an eye on it until it's completely done is needed to get the system ready for use.

6) Nope, no upgrade, 11 fresh installs with 4 different iso's. I'm not making it up btw, i even tried 2 completely different systems and both showed the exactly same issue.

Yes i actually took the effort to botch together a system together with a friend with the exact same monitor setup with different monitors and a complete different system and that even didn't work. Just to be sure it wasn't my system or anything. So it's possible to reproduce the bug i encountered on other systems.

UXthemepatcher is broken.

That's why you use UXstyle instead.

You would know this is you read the instructions.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

It generally isn't slower, unless you're talking about boot time, sleep time, or directX 12. But general OS performance isn't worse than in Win 10, and last I saw, gaming performance in non-DX12 titles is negligibly faster in both W7, and W8, than in W10. Also, Win 7 is a lot more stable and reliable than Win 10, and, IMO, has a smarter start-menu design, and looks a lot better than Win 10 without any mods. The more I use Win 10, the more I feel confident that I wouldn't miss anything by continuing to use Win 7, and would be spared a lot of frustrations.

But, on Win 10, I use:

Startisback - http://startisback.com/

Aero Glass (still waiting for an update to make it compatible with the AU) - http://www.glass8.eu/

Vista Theme (I haven't installed this in W10 yet, but use it in W7) - http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Vista-Themes-Final-for-Win10-521781687

Also, Stardock's Windows Blinds can give Win 10 a general Win 7 look, but without aero glass.

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

This is another customization tool project for W10 that might interest:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67952532/customatic-make-windows-10-look-and-work-the-way-y

Check out Stardock's new version of Fences: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

It has a lot more customization that is shown in the demo pictures. Fences can be set to 0% opacity, so they are invisible unless the mouse is hovering over them. They can also be set to roll-out on mouse-over of their titles. Title-bars for fences can also be disabled. Also, Fences has an option to enable hiding all icons on the entire desktop by double-clicking the desktop, and re-appearing them by double-clicking the desktop again. 

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

BTW, with Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, Windows Update can be set the same as it can be in Windows 7, by using the Edit Group Policy app. This feature isn't available in Windows 10 Home edition. But without this, Windows Update is an inconvenient PITA, and a risk to your work.

GPE Win 10.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

Reveal hidden contents

Windows-10-Theme-GTK.jpg

To me you sound like Win10 fanboy who can't stand when someone doesn't like to use their beloved stuff.

I too am not keen to upgrade. Mainly because issues with scaling and really plain default color scheme. You can call me lazy, sure. But I don't think OS should be filled with 3rd party software just to make it look and work better. Even Ubuntu is more customizable from start.

My win10 laptop just got Ani update which messed somethings, like my set pin. I haven't had time to see if scaling has been fixed or not.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv