Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Just now, Strider890 said:

What is case 2?You mean the people have problem on the desktop, programs, and browsers?My whole desktop, programs and browsers have overall bad quality of the image, fonts etc.The worst thing in this is it hurts my eyes. ?

Also i see some kind distortion on my desktop.

Yeah although we don't have perfect evidence that we have 2 distinct cases. But after reading many posts on both forums. It is better if we differentiate to minimise confusion.

Case 1: Issues only in games
Case 2: Issues in games as well as outside of games (all the way to bios logo in extreme situations)

You are right it's affecting my eyesight too. 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:11 PM, Strider890 said:

@Bearhugger fixed his problem by plugging the PC in the different power outlet.

Yes, but also BIOS reset at the same time.

Worked for me. Maybe doesn't have to work for you...

Same here,  grainy ass desktop/apps/wallpaper etc..

I just played rage 1 and it looks as bad as ever,  even if it’s old you should see how it looks,  worse than an N64 game. ..  I’ll take some screenshots or gameplay soon.

I own a sapphire nitro+ rx 590 and i am having this shitty problems from the 1st month i built my pc. if i remember correctly some random restart triggered it.  I tried everything with the software.  New drivers,  DDU, windows reinstall (no format) ,  mods,  upscaling,  downscaling, cmos reset- you name it. And i updated my bios 4 freakin times but nothing.  i am using an amd apu and the problem persists even if i use the apu. I just searched the whole internet (!) and no solution!  

On 5/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Bearhugger said:

Yes, but also BIOS reset at the same time.

Worked for me. Maybe doesn't have to work for you...

Can you think of any difference between these outlets? Different breaker, different grounding?

1 hour ago, faruquei said:

I own a sapphire nitro+ rx 590 and i am having this shitty problems from the 1st month i built my pc. if i remember correctly some random restart triggered it.  I tried everything with the software.  New drivers,  DDU, windows reinstall (no format) ,  mods,  upscaling,  downscaling, cmos reset- you name it. And i updated my bios 4 freakin times but nothing.  i am using an amd apu and the problem persists even if i use the apu. I just searched the whole internet (!) and no solution!  

Same here. Welcome to the hread. 

IMO whatever is causing this issue. Have a high chance that it's damaging components. I am afraid if that's the case then going to a new place might not fix your PC. Something must be getting weak/damaged in case 2 (maybe capacitors in psu or mobo or monitor etc). 

Although i am not sure that high neutral voltage caused it for me as i had several other power quality issues when i moved to this house. Half of which i don't even know as it'll require Oscilloscope and other very costly equipment. My advice to people with case 2 here is to perform this test on the same outlet you plug in your PC. But this test will require earth/ground connection in your outlet and also a Multimeter. Hire an electrician if you find it hard:

You can buy a Digital Multimeter (DMM). Just a general test. Be careful though don't touch any metal parts while leads are in. You can watch some guides on how to use multimeter.

Also be careful, only plug probes in marking V and comm not in A and comm on DMM. As V is for measuring Voltage and A is for measuring current. Method for measuring current is different. So never put probe in A on multimeter. If you do this will happen as in this video:

What you are looking for are these 3 AC Voltage readings:

Phase-Neutral=

Phase-Earth=

Neutral-Earth=

On 5/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, Meeseeks said:

What you are looking for are these 3 AC Voltage readings:

Phase-Neutral=

Phase-Earth=

Neutral-Earth=

What are the results for you?

2 hours ago, DaoNayt said:

What are the results for you?

Initially as soon as i moved to this house i didn't check voltages because i thought it was a software issue so i got busy reinstalling windows/drivers etc. But after a month or so of this issue, i took the readings:

Phase-Neutral= 230 V 

Phase-Earth= 398V-400V (should be close to Phase-Neutral voltage)

Neutral-Earth= 210 V (should be less than 2V-3V)

Voltages(Neutral-Earth) were like this for couple of days and got lower after an outage which i think because the power company was working to fix something.

Now the voltages on Neutral conductor are not dangerously high as they were before. But i am not giving it much attention because it could be linked to whatever deep is wrong in electricity. Now Neutral to Earth voltage varies for me with each day from 15V to 80V which is still high. This suggest that something is still wrong although it's not as worse as it was before.

I tried with a voltage tester screwdriver thing, and it only lights up on the phase. If there was anything on the neutral, then it would light up on neutral too?

1 hour ago, DaoNayt said:

I tried with a voltage tester screwdriver thing, and it only lights up on the phase. If there was anything on the neutral, then it would light up on neutral too?

Screwdriver voltage tester will only tell you if the voltages on neutral are high. It will not tell you if voltages are proper or not. That's why a multimeter is required for proper voltage readings. But i am not sure if high neutral voltage is the sole cause of our issue as there were other power quality issues present in my case.

Jagged AA. Ugh, that doesn't sound so good. 

19 hours ago, Strider890 said:

I forgot to mention that some people on  Tom's Hardware forum reported that they reproduced this problem by messing with the voltage in the BIOS.

Do you have the link?

Not sure about tom's hardware but there is this thread where a guy said it happened after changing power settings in bios:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/998028/pc-components/all-games-to-flicker-shimmer-when-moving-/1/

Some people here in linus forum said that it occurred after overclocking. Overclocking has direct relation with power. For some it happened after changing outlet. For me it happened after moving to this house/city. I have shared what happened to fans in my PC and other issues after moving to this house. It's not like we don't have enough evidence that it's power especially for case 2. 

21 hours ago, Strider890 said:

I will sent the my PC to another service just in case if is something damaged.If is something damaged i will replace that damaged part but how to proctect the PC from "bad" eletricity?

If you are trying to replace components at a new place. First make sure that the new place don't have this issue by observing someone else PC there. Then change components there starting from PSU and Mobo. After those 2 then replace GPU, CPU etc. Because PSU and Mobo are the ones that handles power. Never start from GPU first because the new GPU might show the same symptoms if it's getting the same fault in power from PSU and Mobo. GPU gets half of it's power from PSU(8 pin connector) and other half from PCIE slot i.e. from mobo. Also you can start by installing your GPU in someone's good PC, that way you can figure out fast if the GPU got damaged.

Protection from whatever is in electricity depends on what in electricity are we dealing with. But if you have extra money laying around or you can return product after test then buying a Double Conversion Online UPS and also new PC is good way to start your test from. There are solutions depending on the problem according to this document (page 17):

https://www.apc.com/salestools/VAVR-5WKLPK/VAVR-5WKLPK_R1_EN.pdf

North bridges dont exist anymore as a separate motherboard component. It is all integrated into the CPU now. I know there was an alleged fix floating around with some technician saying that it's a north bridge problem but that doesnt make sense with current hardware. Plus nobody actually verified that the fix even worked.

And we all did a CMOS reset or BIOS flash already which should have helped if it was just a BIOS issue.

1 hour ago, DaoNayt said:

North bridges dont exist anymore as a separate motherboard component. It is all integrated into the CPU now. I know there was an alleged fix floating around with some technician saying that it's a north bridge problem but that doesnt make sense with current hardware. Plus nobody actually verified that the fix even worked.

And we all did a CMOS reset or BIOS flash already which should have helped if it was just a BIOS issue.

True, North Bridge does not exist as a separate module anymore. Also some people saying that it's some crazy virus. I don't believe that at all. 

We should invest our time and effort learning/figuring about issues in power and how those issues can affect sensitive electronic components. That's the key to the solution of our issue at least for people with case 2.

The only thing we didnt try was flashing the GPU BIOS but my card is under warranty so I can't do it.

It's happening for me even on Integrated GPU so flashing bios for Discrete GPU is not gonna do anything. Whatever it is it's affecting the whole PC. But you can try.

I havent played almost anything for the last almost two months and I spend almost all of my free time thinking and reading about this.

Hi guys, I am joining the club here with this rather peculiar issue of jagged/non-functioning AA, grainy texture/shadows, terribly low draw distance for shadows+detail textures.

To be honest, I do not remember when exactly this problem started for me, but came across several forum topics like this, while I was searching for a solution to strange texture-brightness flicker happening on Witcher 3 for me. That I personally concluded is something wrong with the OD-ghosting of my monitor while having it on 1440p.

Anyway, after reading several forums about those issues, I also started noticing it in every game I played recently. Not sure, if it was there all the time and I was just not paying attention to it, but now I see it everywhere. Some games just have barely noticeable issues (like Wolfenstein II) some are very terrible (like Mad Max, Witcher 3), I guess it mostly depends on the engine and the way of the lighting system works in it. Since I think those issues are less visible in Witcher 3 during night and no light sources closeby (torches, shiny crap...). The flicker and jagged AA lines I could live with, but what now really irritates me, is this terrible detail/shadows draw distance, like you can see a visible line few meters in front of your FOV, behind which everything is just muddy, blurry and low res and how changes right in front of you.

But to be honest, I do not think it has something to do with the power/voltage stuff our PCs are plugged in. 

Cause I see this shit on my PC at home (i7-8700, 1080ti, no power fixing gyzmos). I checked it on my flatmates PC (i7-7700k, 970, he has this overvoltage fail safe plug system) and see exactly same behaviour and issues in games. I have one PC at work, that I can use to relax if I have time (i7-4790k, 980) and see also exactly same issues in games. Mind you, that the company I work is IT based, and there are big servers and a plethora of PCs that are being used in a whole 6 store building, so I am pretty sure, they must have a very quality power system here. Yet I dont remember when it appeared or was there all along.

I dont think I can see the exact same behaviour, not less not more intense, on 3 different PC configs just like that, unless this electricity theory has a city/state/world wide effect.

Whats more, I am starting to see issues like this in youtube videos that are gameplay/about games with ingame captures.

I am more inclined for it to be it some kind of virus, EM interference (caused by whatever wireless shit is nowadays out in the air) - less likely.

Or

Something to do with the APIs like DirectX, OpenGL, Vulkan (as I said is less visible in Wolfenstein), MS Visual C++ redistr, ... and their integration within the Windows and how they call out the GPU instructions and build up shaders in regards of the drivers. - more likely.

I am not really that computer savy, especially when it comes to how all this SW interacts with the capabilities of HW. But based on what Ive read, seen and experienced, the sole electricity cannot be the main perpetrator here.

If anyone had time on their hands, they can try to build a "Faraday cage" around the PC, to see if that would do something :D:D

There is no such virus/software settings that can affect bios logo and decides out of nowhere to change the intensity of the blur/compression artifact in bios logo and windows. But i am not sure if we all have same case.

@Kladmaster do you have issues outside of games where you can see blur/jaggy text/icons in windows or in bios logo?