HELP ME! find a good router.

Antony Leung

So yesterday i post this. and i want to know more opinion of other people. Any suggestion to a good router that's under 120$ USD? ( im cosidering buying the TP-LINK AC1900 Archer C9 but i want to know more opinions. and i dont know about this router. if is safe? have a good rage? the LAN speed is not affected? 

ANY COMMENT, FEEDBACK, ANSWER WILL BE APPRECIATED.

I do not own that router. But it appears to be one of the best routers on the market.

I am using apple's airport extreme. 

It works well too.

People said that apple's router is quite good,.

However my one's wireless signal range is somewhat okay only. 

If you want to buy a decent router that is "plug in and go", apple's airport extreme is for you. 

Hear what other people have to say though.  I am not a pro when it comes to this. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

18 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Hear what other people have to say though

27 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

i want to know more opinion of other people

that's what im doing. im not big fan of plug and play things since the usually hide the flexibility of edit everything you want, and also thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Antony Leung said:

im not big fan of plug and play things since the usually hide the flexibility of edit everything you want, and also thanks for the suggestion.

Then definitely don't buy the apple one. lol

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Ugh. im literaly been saw by only one person each post. i hope there's a way to expand the views in the people. : - (

8 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

@HPWebcamAble, @glitchmaster0001, @TubsAlwaysWins, @AluminiumTech, @iamdarkyoshi, @themctipers,  What do you think guys, Can you help me?

pretty sure i cant.

I mean, if i could i probably would had stumbled acorss this and have helped but i cant.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Let's start by addressing the original issue.

You read a hacker news article about some poor security features of the router you're now looking to replace.

First issue is the default admin login credentials. I haven't seen any routers in my day that have proper and secure admin credentials when shipped off the factory. This is just not something that any manufacturer will do since it's easily mitigated by the user. So basically just change your password and that's done.

Second issue was about some general hacking into the admin web interface. I'm surprised if there's a router out there that is not hackable by a well versed hacker. The article didn't mention how much skill it takes to hack in the router so really no way to take that seriously and still buy a household router to replace it.

Third issue was specifically about Asus AiCloud and AiDisk vulnerabilities. These were very dumb to leave in by Asus, but mitigating an optional feature's vulnerability by replacing the device is not necessary. Just don't use the features.

The fourth issue about firmware updates not being available via an update button is a legitimate one, but I suspect Asus has a manual firmware upgrade option available, so that potential vulnerability could possibly be mitigated with some research and manual work. To be fair, not having automatic upgrade doesn't really count as a vulnerability as much as just a nuisance.

So, why do you need a new router and most importantly, what are the specs you absolutely require of it?

14 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

@HPWebcamAble, @glitchmaster0001, @TubsAlwaysWins, @AluminiumTech, @iamdarkyoshi, @themctipers,  What do you think guys, Can you help me?

If you feel up to it i stand behind PfSense 100%. I average 1Mb/s faster than a Linksys WRT1900AC (A $200 router) (And this is where the average download speed is like 3Mb/s, so every bit helps). Just take an old system or something and throw it on and get a used router as an access point. I can help you set it up if you want

As we speak im putting pfSense on a server

Breaking things 1 day at a time

@U.Ho Well Done!

Spoiler

JSBTl.gif7b1b36600a9788f48098c5051ec882937cac3d92

Ok, Starting off i will use this build for gaming. and i want a good router in my house so all my family can have a stable, good speeds and long rage wifi, and meanwhile i will use the LAN port, i also saw some wifi that have issue with the LAN that dont give the full speed, and i was scare a little bit by that article, For now im using a poor wifi that i have seen someone trying to do a CACHE atack on me to try to get my data. and more of less this tell why i want a opinion of a good wifi router.

7 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

@themctipers, Thanks anyways. At least you write something to know you was interest on helping.

@TubsAlwaysWins, Thanks, Im dont know what is pfSense. and what it does? can you explain me?

PfSense is a open source router software that you can load on desktops for uncompromised performance. Linus uses it and (dont know if you have heard of them) Tek Syndicate uses it. It is 100% customizable and is pretty easy to set up

WiFi transfer speed is greatly dependent on the protocol standard the wireless connection is using.

When the connection is established, usually the best compatible protocol is chosen. This means the best protocol both the access point and the host can use.

You might be aware of this already but I want to point out that if you're using a router with 802.11ac capability, you also need wireless NICs with AC capability on the devices you're using. Leaving the more technical stuff out, I'm assuming this is what you mean by LAN not giving full speed. It is actually the full speed, but it can be disappointing if you're not getting connections with the ac standard.

Moreover, I see the LAN ports on the Asus router are actually 10/100. If you have multiple users using the wireless, you might end up with a bottleneck in the uplink with only 100mb/s to share with all connected wireless devices. The TP-LINK AC1900 seems to offer 10/100/1000 wired ports for uplink as well as LAN ports. That feature alone is in my opinion a good reason to replace the Asus with the TP-Link.

For added security (and apparently uplink speed) the pfSense setup is a good idea if you have some old hardware available. I have never set it up so can't be of help there, but looks like you got your man for that job anyway.

Edited by U.Ho
replaced only with alone for better goodness

WOW! good bless any good sofware that is useful and is free open source, this got my attention thanks for the info, i didn't about this, now you opened my eyes. and now im cosedering to buy a "Server butged" pc for setup this epic wifi. specs here. so it can be used as a pc and a server (that's good) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $520.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-30 03:25 EDT-0400

But the problem is, i dont have any spare old harware lying around. so itfeelsbadman.jpg. or. idk if my father could let me use his pc. which is very old. ( uses AMD athlon x64 , <1GB of ram, <500GB of storage, a pirated version of win XP, and it have a poor wifi adapter, that only accepts 802.11 n)

@U.Ho, Thanks for the great feedback, god bless you, and you got any submission to do? like another recommendation?

6 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

WOW! good bless any good sofware that is useful and is free open source, this got my attention thanks for the info, i didn't about this, now you opened my eyes. and now im cosedering to buy a "Server butged" pc for setup this epic wifi. specs here. so it can be used as a pc and a server (that's good) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $520.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-30 03:25 EDT-0400

But the problem is, i dont have any spare old harware lying around. so itfeelsbadman.jpg. or. idk if my father could let me use his pc. which is very old. ( uses AMD athlon x64 , <1GB of ram, <500GB of storage, a pirated version of win XP, and it have a poor wifi adapter, that only accepts 802.11 n)

Not really sure who that was directed to, but if that was for PfSense then your dads build would probably work. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121526051982?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

would work great (probably) and you could spend liek $50 for a wireless access point

Also I don't recommend using wireless cards like that. Get an actual router to handle the wireless

4 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Not really sure who that was directed to

Of course was you.

5 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Also I don't recommend using wireless cards like that

but in the video you linked, he used a wireless card adapter to setup like a router. 

6 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Get an actual router to handle the wireless

With this sentece, we got back to the initial point of lookin up for the Archer C9