Compatibility Problem?

Hello People,

I'm new on this forum and I need help.

I have built my own computer, I started with an HP Pavillion p6-2160ef (specs: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03262533) and my first upgrade was a new GPU. I went for the AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 - 1 GB. That went pretty well. After a while I was sick of the small Pavilion case so I bought a new Zalman MS800Plus case and put everything in it. That went well. I upgraded also my RAMs from 6 GB to 8 GB (Crucial CL9 Ballistix Sport RAM DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 800 MHz) because these were the only good ones for my Cupertino 2 Mobo. 

Now, a few weeks ago I bought (because it was on sale) the new MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G and I was really happy. It took me a while to install this bi*** but i got it done and I turned on my computer... nothing... just the bios screen and weird bios noises. After really long research I found a video on youtube explaining that some GPUs aren't compatible with the Cupertino 2 mobo:

I got it to work and now everytime I wanna boot I need to boot into NetworkBoot and wait for 2mins.

This is just one of the problems because it feels to me like I can't get everything out of the new GPU, I'm still ending up with 25 fps on Witcher 3 (Ultra) and 30 average on GTA V (Ultra but no MSAA)

What did go wrong, what should I do?

Please help!

Thank you

-khilium

Hello, welcome to the forums.

What are the rest of your system specs such ad the cpu?

Really the only thing you could do to fix the issue of booting to get the gpu to work is to get a non-oem motherboard.

From the link you listed, it would need to be lga 1155.

Also the low performane sounds like a cpu bottleneck, programs like MSI Afterburner can monitor cpu and gpu usage, and if your cpu is at 100%, and gpu not at 100%, then you have a cpu bottleneck. To fix this this you would need a new cpu, if it is lga 1155, then something like an i5 2400, or 2500 should work.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

22 hours ago, SLAYR said:

Hello, welcome to the forums.

What are the rest of your system specs such ad the cpu?

Really the only thing you could do to fix the issue of booting to get the gpu to work is to get a non-oem motherboard.

From the link you listed, it would need to be lga 1155.

Also the low performane sounds like a cpu bottleneck, programs like MSI Afterburner can monitor cpu and gpu usage, and if your cpu is at 100%, and gpu not at 100%, then you have a cpu bottleneck. To fix this this you would need a new cpu, if it is lga 1155, then something like an i5 2400, or 2500 should work.

Thank you for replying so quickly!

My cpu is a intel core i5 2320 (not k). I have tried overclocking it because its performance isn't really good. I found out thta you can't because intel willingly locked it. Am I wrong or is there a way to overclock it?

So the rest of my specs:

mobo: H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2)

--Socket type: LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 (3.0 GHz)

Memory:  Crucial CL9 Ballistix Sport RAM DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 800 MHz

GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G

what else?

I tried and it turns out the CPU is a bottleneck for the GTX. Would it be useful to buy a new mobo such as the MSI H81M-P33? And add to that, for the stupid CPU bottleneck, the i5-4460 (3.2 GHz) or even the i5-6600K (3.5 GHz) for overclocking?

Thank you very much

-khilium

46 minutes ago, khilium32 said:

Thank you for replying so quickly!

My cpu is a intel core i5 2320 (not k). I have tried overclocking it because its performance isn't really good. I found out thta you can't because intel willingly locked it. Am I wrong or is there a way to overclock it?

So the rest of my specs:

mobo: H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2)

--Socket type: LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 (3.0 GHz)

Memory:  Crucial CL9 Ballistix Sport RAM DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 800 MHz

GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G

what else?

I tried and it turns out the CPU is a bottleneck for the GTX. Would it be useful to buy a new mobo such as the MSI H81M-P33? And add to that, for the stupid CPU bottleneck, the i5-4460 (3.2 GHz) or even the i5-6600K (3.5 GHz) for overclocking?

Thank you very much

-khilium

The i5 you have shouldn't be a problem with a gtx 960, there shouldn't be any cpu  bottlenecks. And you would need a "k" series cpu and an appropriate socket "z" series motherboard to overclock.

If you are running recording software, have malware, or any other programs in the background see if performance improves by closing those, but games like GTA V can be quite cpu intensive. 

The resolution of your screen is also important higher resolutions need more gpu power.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

The i5 you have shouldn't be a problem with a gtx 960, there shouldn't be any cpu  bottlenecks. And you would need a "k" series cpu and an appropriate socket "z" series motherboard to overclock.

If you are running recording software, have malware, or any other programs in the background see if performance improves by closing those, but games like GTA V can be quite cpu intensive. 

The resolution of your screen is also important higher resolutions need more gpu power.

So you think a new motherboard isn't necessary? 

Ok so what I need to do is:

-lower resolution in games 

-shut unnecessary background programs off 

I will try it

Thanks 

-khilium