NVidia Limits Linux to Three Monitors

EChondo

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Things-make-you-go-hmmmm-NVIDIA-edition

Today some oil was tossed on the fire with the revelation that NVIDIA is specifically limiting the functionality of its hardware on Linux. Just after we praised their release of documentation for Nouveau, their open sourced driver, we find out from a post at The Inquirer that NVIDIA limits the number of monitors used in Linux to three so as not to outdo their functionality in Windows. For a brief moment it seemed that NVIDIA was willing to cooperate with the open source and Linux communities but apparently that moment is all we will have and once again NVIDIA proves that it is willing bow to pressure from Microsoft.

This has been brought to attention in a NVidia Developer forum.

Here is the thread in question: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/579449/?comment=3962397

If this is the driver "support" we will be receiving from NVidia, then I guess my Steam Machine will 100% have a AMD GPU in it.

*womp womp*

They had a chance, but they failed.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Why do they keep doing stupid things like this?

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Guys.... NVIDIA is becoming EA+Apple.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Why do they keep doing stupid things like this?

no idea, BUT THAT PICTURE DHOO, i was like, why a windm... ow thats why

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

it must be some linux issue itself. not Nvidia

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

no idea, BUT THAT PICTURE DHOO, i was like, why a windm... ow thats why

Yup that is what I was thinking :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Ow come on guys, you had to expect this, Nvidia is always late with multi monitor support, that's where AMD shines, they may add that later, you make it sound like they're clubbing old lady's with baby seals...

Eyefinity for those that really NEED more than 3 monitors, personally i don't really care about multi monitor gaming, not my thing, but guys there is always AMD if you need them anyway, it's not like Nvidia supports multi monitor in windows the same way as AMD does...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Oh oh oh, your avatar is telling me someone's not being objective here ..

Read the LTT thread, read the Nvidia forum topic, it's not deactivited by Linux 

For feature parity between Windows and Linux we set BaseMosaic to 3 screens on GeForce

I use a single 24" 1920x1200 monitor because of space. If I had more room, the most I would go would be a 3 monitor set up...isn't more than 3 the point of getting ridiculous?

I'm not excusing Nvidia (at least in Linux, Nvidia drivers are painless), just saying.

Actually, no. I've read on another forum from a Linux user that with older drivers, they could drive more than 3 monitors and it was only after upgrading, they realized one of their monitors wasn't powering on. When they rolled back to their older driver, all was well again. It isn't Linux, it's Nvidia purposely capping.

I use a single 24" 1920x1200 monitor because of space. If I had more room, the most I would go would be a 3 monitor set up...isn't more than 3 the point of getting ridiculous?

I'm not excusing Nvidia (at least in Linux, Nvidia drivers are painless), just saying.

My primary goal for my personal setup is 4 monitors(single or three monitor gaming, and a fourth for chat programs) and a 5th display, a TV for guests and whatnot.

Sure 3 is getting to be a bit much and the average consumer won't use more then one monitor even, but the average consumer doesn't install and use Linux, but we, the more advance power users do.

they gonna fix it soon then. Everyone makes mistakes, except God

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

For gaming yes, but people who are getting more than three monitors are getting them for workstations (ex: audio editing), even people making racing or flight simulators in their man cave would need more than three monitors. (you use three for display of the game, but a lot of people are using a fourth monitor for gauges and various displays - sometimes way more than 4)

It's true that for the average gamer, you won't need more than three, but limiting the number to three is not right for a company like Nvidia's who's expensive GPUs are supposed to be the top of the top for gaming. They are proning performance, that doesn't scream performance to me IMO.

nain nain nain this is UNACCEPTABLE 

*imagines the medic saying this* tf2

My primary goal for my personal setup is 4 monitors(single or three monitor gaming, and a fourth for chat programs) and a 5th display, a TV for guests and whatnot.

Sure 3 is getting to be a bit much and the average consumer won't use more then one monitor even, but the average consumer doesn't install and use Linux, but we, the more advance power users do.

I'm well versed in things not known as Facebook and can easly blow through 8+GB of ram without trying too hard. I'm just saying I'm having a hard time fathoming on utilizing more than 3 monitors without being at a Nasa console or something. :P

besides im sure they will bring out more display support as time passes maybe they f$£"ed up some drives stuff

Doesn't matter too much aside from Nvidia losing ground to AMD. If you use Linux and are running more than 3 monitors, don't upgrade the driver, simple as that.

what gpu do u  have which lets u setup 5 monitors? 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

besides im sure they will bring out more display support as time passes maybe they f$£"ed up some drives stuff

They might have to back down, but still, read the Nvidia forum thread, it's not a mistake, they limit it on purpose for 'feature parity between Windows and Linux

I'm well versed in things not known as Facebook and can easly blow through 8+GB of ram without trying too hard. I'm just saying I'm having a hard time fathoming on utilizing more than 3 monitors without being at a Nasa console or something. :P

Well again, it just seems like the wrong thing to limit. More advanced users will be using more than three screens, and most of the people using Linux are also most of the people that will be using more than three displays as well.

And I agree, there isn't much to Linux currently that will need more than three displays, but why limit it in the first place? It just doesn't make any sense.

what gpu do u have which lets u setup 5 monitors?

Pretty much any AMD GPU. One of my 7870's can have a displayport splitter come off of it, power three monitors, then I can use my DVI for my fourth monitor and then HDMI for my 5th display.