I just got an broken Ipod touch w/ apple care?

Tocsin_786

I work at a repair shop and a lady came in handed me the latest ipod touch and said "its dead, can you dispose of it please". So i had her sign out of her icloud online and put the ipod in the broken piles. Later in the day I checked the IMEI and apple displayed it under apple care full coverage until september 2016. If i go to the apple store will they replace it for me? even if i'm not the original owner? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Apple doesn't care about ownership; they don't police who has what.  

Whether or not they "replace" it depends on what's wrong with it and if they deem is was (or wasn't) caused by accidental damage.  

Or, you could be honest about it and contact the person that left it at your shop and tell her to do it herself. 

6 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I work at a repair shop and a lady came in handed me the latest ipod touch and said "its dead, can you dispose of it please". So i had her sign out of her icloud online and put the ipod in the broken piles. Later in the day I checked the IMEI and apple displayed it under apple care full coverage until september 2016. If i go to the apple store will they replace it for me? even if i'm not the original owner? 

Shouldn't you have checked the apple care status IN store to actually advise the customer correctly?

and contact her to let her know

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

"its dead, can you dispose of it please". So i had her sign out of her icloud online

How can it be dead, if you got her to use it?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I would say its worth a try... Free iPod woo! You could do the moral thing and ring the customer or something... or you could just repair it through apple and keep/sell it... tbh if shes got rid of it without knowing she has apple care then thats kinda her fault no?

19 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

Whether or not they "replace" it depends on what's wrong with it and if they deem is was (or wasn't) caused by accidental damage.  

Or, you could be honest about it and contact the person that left it at your shop and tell her to do it herself. 

I shouldn't have to check the status if the customer doesn't tell me if they bought insurance. She literally came in, I was cleaning the counters, handed me the device and asked if I can dispose of it. So i had her login to her icloud to delete her device and put it into the pile. It was a walk in - walk out type of thing. I called her today to let her know and she will be picking it up today. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

12 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

How can it be dead, if you got her to use it?

I had her use the store computer to login to the account. The ipod was completely dead. 

11 hours ago, james_broad said:

I would say its worth a try... Free iPod woo! You could do the moral thing and ring the customer or something... or you could just repair it through apple and keep/sell it... tbh if shes got rid of it without knowing she has apple care then thats kinda her fault no?

That was my thought process, I see where others are coming from, but honestly if you don't know what you did to your product or whether or not there is insurance on it, I shouldn't be held responsible for your mistakes. If it were in the pile, then the recycle company would have given me money for the metal inside. It would have been my gain either way. But I did call her today and let her know. 

I'd call her up as soon as possible and say something like

"Hi there, I've checked with the Apple database and it turns out that your iPod might be eligible to be repaired by Apple for free, would you like me to proceed with these repairs?"

She'd be really happy with that and would give you a (hopefully) good review.

That's if you're into creating a good reputation. If you're in it for the money then get Apple to replace it for you and sell it on eBay.

Edit: didn't read and realised that you did the top one :P

Edited by Mug

45 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I shouldn't have to check the status if the customer doesn't tell me if they bought insurance. She literally came in, I was cleaning the counters, handed me the device and asked if I can dispose of it. So i had her login to her icloud to delete her device and put it into the pile. It was a walk in - walk out type of thing. I called her today to let her know and she will be picking it up today. 

I get you. You shouldn't have to do any of that if you're handed something to be recycled.   ...but you did.  

I'm not pointing fingers. In fact, I'd give you kudos for your integrity. 

What you did is the same as some one dropping their wallet with cash and ID in it. Sure, no one else *has* to pick it up or even look at the ID.. maybe even keep the cash.  But if some one *does* pick it up and look at the ID, it kind of puts the ball in the finder's court to do the right thing.  

I'm glad your story turned out the way it did. 

3 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Honestly you did the right thing.

Sure, you could have sold it and kept the money, but you know what?

When she needs a device repaired, who's she gonna think about now? You. This could turn into repeat business. Hopefully she'll also spread word of mouth as well about how awesome you were for telling her.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

23 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

She already is a regular. She used to come in every week to have something repaired. I have to break it to you that I did have a high intention of going to the apple store, I made the appointment and everything. Then everyone on here told me to do the right thing and I thought about the worth of me doing what I was going to do. It wasn't worth it because I would have felt like I stole something. A $150 device is not worth changing someone elses day to the better. I dont want anyone to think that I was in it for the right reasons because it took time for that to happen. 

6 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

She already is a regular. She used to come in every week to have something repaired. I have to break it to you that I did have a high intention of going to the apple store, I made the appointment and everything. Then everyone on here told me to do the right thing and I thought about the worth of me doing what I was going to do. It wasn't worth it because I would have felt like I stole something. A $150 device is not worth changing someone elses day to the better. I dont want anyone to think that I was in it for the right reasons because it took time for that to happen. 

You know what? People aren't perfect. Most people, even "good people", will often think about doing the thing that is selfish if they think they can get away with it. So thinking about taking the money? Who gives a shit. Your actions are the only thing that matter.

You decided to do the right thing. Why? Doesn't matter.

Besides, sure, she's a regular already (great!), but now she'll have even more reason to tell all her friends about your business, and will hopefully send more people your way - especially when they hear about what you did for her.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)