is the i7 920 still a good CPU?

1 minute ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

alright it's late i don't get you why are you even posting this? your computer works?! great...you're looking for someone to argue with? i'm not this person i'm sorry i'm here to help op not to discuss the performance of your machine.

have a good day son.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

alright it's late i don't get you why are you even posting this? your computer works?! great...you're looking for someone to argue with? i'm not this person i'm sorry i'm here to help op not to discuss the performance of your machine.

have a good day son.

It's not mine i was just proving all of the nay sayers wrong.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

Just now, 1Cup1Tea said:

well...there is none of these ''nay sayers'' here...nobody to prove wrong...move on with your life and have a good night ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, 1Cup1Tea said:

Here this discussion is making my "it works, it's a great value, but it's not anything special"  perspective look really sane haha. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

well last time i made a thread here about how much i can sell my LGA 771 to 775 computer with an X5460 at 4.0GHz everyone on the forum bashed the shit out of the thread and said it was worthless and useless even though the benchmarks and tests i ran showed that it was on par with a FX 8320... the awesome thing about that PC was it had a P45 Chipset motherboard which was back then a high end board and the board i got is going on ebay for around $130 lol. hopefully no one decides to bash on this build. since it is using an X58 motherboard...  

no the Xeon is a westmere since its a 32nm for both the e5640 and the X5650 

There is a guy on TPU with his E5640 at 4.4ghz killing a 3960X in single thread and almost matching it's 6 core 12 thread multithread performance. You can OC the 3960X though.

Core i7 6700k @ 4800mhz 1.33v * 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz * ASUS Z170-A * Corsair H100i * ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2100mhz * XFX Pro Black Edition 80+ Gold 850w * Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S * AOC U2879VF 28" 4K

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

have a good day son.

but do you think after i get the W3520 delivered and i flash the bios to the lastest version should i then just pull out the W3520 and put in an X5650? or should i just put a much cheaper E5640 or the 6 core E5645? as of now on asus's website it doesnt say the X5650 is supported but ive seen a youtube video of person getting an X5650 to work on my board just with a simple bios update to the latest version (1403 i believe) i haven't seen people put either the E5640 or the E5645 in there and confirm that it works with my board. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

but do you think after i get the W3520 delivered and i flash the bios to the lastest version should i then just pull out the W3520 and put in an X5650? or should i just put a much cheaper E5640 or the 6 core E5645? as of now on asus's website it doesnt say the X5650 is supported but ive seen a youtube video of person getting an X5650 to work on my board just with a simple bios update to the latest version (1403 i believe) i haven't seen people put either the E5640 or the E5645 in there and confirm that it works with my board. 

Guys on TPU say you just pop it in and it will work.

All high end ASUS x58 boards work apparently.

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i have absolutely no idea to be honest...if you ask me? what i would do? i would sell all that shit and place an order for the cheapest H97 motherboard i could find and an i5-4590 and i would call it a day...but that's just me :P

on a more serious note...if you plan to use this machine for yourself for gaming and you have money for a 300$ graphics card or something...i would try to make sure the X5650 work in the board and i would get that CPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/xeon-owners-club.211143/

1 minute ago, 1Cup1Tea said:

There is a guy on TPU with his E5640 at 4.4ghz killing a 3960X in single thread and almost matching it's 6 core 12 thread multithread performance. You can OC the 3960X though.

that is amazing in all but i dont think my PSU or cooling can handle OCs over 3.6GHz im basically pushing my luck since ive seen that once you OC it the power consumption on it is huge. i saw a guy with a GTX 970 and a X5650 at 4.0GHz when he ran firestrike or games the power consumption was over 600w that will jihad my PSU so i want to only give it enough of an OC so that its on par with a stock speed i7 3960x which is essentially a i7 5820k. 

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i have absolutely no idea to be honest...if you ask me? what i would do? i would sell all that shit and place an order for the cheapest H97 motherboard i could find and an i5-4590 and i would call it a day...but that's just me :P

on a more serious note...if you plan to use this machine for yourself for gaming and you have money for a 300$ graphics card or something...i would try to make sure the X5650 work in the board and i would get that CPU.

that is what i am aiming to do in a way, i plan to build this PC then sell it on craigslist for around $400 without the HDD or GPU, i want it to have on par or ballpark power of at least a i7 3960x so then people would actually want to buy it at the attractive price point. because last i checked you cant build a brand new PC that has i7 3960x power for $400 which is the main selling point of the PC. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

that is amazing in all but i dont think my PSU or cooling can handle OCs over 3.6GHz im basically pushing my luck since ive seen that once you OC it the power consumption on it is huge. i saw a guy with a GTX 970 and a X5650 at 4.0GHz when he ran firestrike or games the power consumption was over 600w that will jihad my PSU so i want to only give it enough of an OC so that its on par with a stock speed i7 3960x which is essentially a i7 5820k. 

that is what i am aiming to do in a way, i plan to build this PC then sell it on craigslist for around $400 without the HDD or GPU, i want it to have on par or ballpark power of at least a i7 3960x so then people would actually want to buy it at the attractive price point. because last i checked you cant build a brand new PC that has i7 3960x power for $400 which is the main selling point of the PC. 

Just leave the CPU at stock volts and ramp up your BCLK, you will more than likely go over 3.6ghz on stock volts.

On 7/26/2016 at 8:52 PM, 1Cup1Tea said:

Just leave the CPU at stock volts and ramp up your BCLK, you will more than likely go over 3.6ghz on stock volts.

w3520 came today, plopped it into my mobo and it booted right away. updated the bios to the latest version and its running like a champ. going to keep it like this as of now because it is basically a $26 PC lol. 

On 7/26/2016 at 7:59 PM, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi so recently i acquired an ASUS P6T X58 Motherboard at my local goodwill for $20, now i am going to pair it with a Xeon W3520 that i bought for $6 (essentially an i7 920) and im wondering if the i7 920 is still a good CPU. i know about the E5640s and the X5650s being good and affordable CPUs but im wondering if i OC the W3520 a little bit like 3.3GHz or something small, will it be enough to do gaming provided that i pair it with a good GPU. i know the X58 platform is old to today's standards but ive heard alot of good things about it even to this day and also looking at eBay the prices of X58 motherboards are just insane... 

I've made some decent finds at the Goodwill Computers shop nearby, but an X58 motherboard for my i7-920 has eluded me. Congrats on that one. The 920 is still a fine bit of silicon. Up until late last year, an i7-920 and GTX 260 were pulling down 60 FPS on Skyrim at high settings for me.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I've made some decent finds at the Goodwill Computers shop nearby, but an X58 motherboard for my i7-920 has eluded me. Congrats on that one. The 920 is still a fine bit of silicon. Up until late last year, an i7-920 and GTX 260 were pulling down 60 FPS on Skyrim at high settings for me.

i know now i have a $26 CSGO Potato lol. dont have a graphics card for it yet... 

i know now i have a $26 CSGO Potato lol. dont have a graphics card for it yet... 

I dug up a Radeon HD7770 at the local Goodwill Computers for $40 a couple of weeks ago. Best find there yet, although the constant stream of perfectly functional $20 Core 2-based computers that just need a cheapo hard drive and operating system makes it hard not to open my own computer-flipping business.

I dug up a Radeon HD7770 at the local Goodwill Computers for $40 a couple of weeks ago. Best find there yet, although the constant stream of perfectly functional $20 Core 2-based computers that just need a cheapo hard drive and operating system makes it hard not to open my own computer-flipping business.

i sell PCs on craigslist that i build. my recent sell was a X5460 in a P45 board PC for $150. not much i know but for $150 its a good deal, the buyer paired the PC with a GTX 750ti and now he can play games at 720p on high to medium settings.he wanted a cheapo starter PC thats why. 

i sell PCs on craigslist that i build. my recent sell was a X5460 in a P45 board PC for $150. not much i know but for $150 its a good deal, the buyer paired the PC with a GTX 750ti and now he can play games at 720p on high to medium settings.he wanted a cheapo starter PC thats why. 

Nice! I can always feel the numbers crunching in my head when I come across an old C2D-powered Optiplex that posts for $19.99 and begin thinking about how much it would cost to drop a 500GB HDD and Windows 10 onto it, maybe add a little more RAM, then pop it on Craigslist and collect my earnings.

Nice! I can always feel the numbers crunching in my head when I come across an old C2D-powered Optiplex that posts for $19.99 and begin thinking about how much it would cost to drop a 500GB HDD and Windows 10 onto it, maybe add a little more RAM, then pop it on Craigslist and collect my earnings.

where i live you wont make much. people want the used PCs there to perform like a high end computer when their broke asses only want to fork out $400 max on a PC. that is why if i were to sell this PC i just made i need to put the X5650 in it and OC to 3.5GHz

where i live you wont make much. people want the used PCs there to perform like a high end computer when their broke asses only want to fork out $400 max on a PC. that is why if i were to sell this PC i just made i need to put the X5650 in it and OC to 3.5GHz

I live in the Florida Panhandle. People out here aren't too picky about what's in it so long as it can boot up and play Candy Crush :P

I live in the Florida Panhandle. People out here aren't too picky about what's in it so long as it can boot up and play Candy Crush :P

xD it sucks to live in the silicon valley... expensive af to live here and picky people with their potato pcs 

Considering that my Xeon X5450 at 4.4GHz was handling my GTX 970 just fine (never ran FO4 on it though, there are some areas where it would struggle just like my i5 4440), the i7 920 once overclocked should still be an excellent CPU, as its IPC is greater than that of my Xeon, and it has 8 threads.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering that my Xeon X5450 at 4.4GHz was handling my GTX 970 just fine (never ran FO4 on it though, there are some areas where it would struggle just like my i5 4440), the i7 920 once overclocked should still be an excellent CPU, as its IPC is greater than that of my Xeon, and it has 8 threads.

i had an X5460 system that i OC'd to 4.0GHz. ended up selling it for $150 since i didn't need it and it was just a fun little project PC to me. might end up keeping this build though since X58 boards are hard to find cheap, plus i think this pc if i upgrade it to a 6 core xeon and 12 gb ram it could make a good cheap little render station PC to have around.  

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i had an X5460 system that i OC'd to 4.0GHz. ended up selling it for $150 since i didn't need it and it was just a fun little project PC to me. might end up keeping this build though since X58 boards are hard to find cheap, plus i think this pc if i upgrade it to a 6 core xeon and 12 gb ram it could make a good cheap little render station PC to have around.  

That's what the X5450+P5 Deluxe ended up being for me. But I ended up actually having a use for it, and now my friend has along with my GTX 650ti OC 2GB as his first computer (up until I gave it to him, he was stuck borrowing a Vista Basic laptop that was very slow).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 7/26/2016 at 7:32 PM, 1Cup1Tea said:

i7 920 won by a large gap in Crysis 3.

You just told everyone here that an i5 4460 is a poor performing CPU since the 920 beats it in all games overclocked. If we calculate price, the 4460 is way worse than the 920.

I wouldn't trust that benchmark at all, whoever did it had no idea what he was doing. Testing a cpu at 720p makes sense to remove the gpu as a bottleneck and since cpu load is resolution independent, but he should have tested at very high system spec too. When you turn settings to low you're getting rid of the physics calculations for grass, for cloth, and so on, you're killing draw distance and complexity of shadows. These are the things to judge the cpu on. With settings at low it's a useless benchmark.