Low GPU usuage 900-1000 GTX series

SacredSix

Hello any and all,

I've been having major issues with both a GTX 980 and a GTX 1080 in some older tiltes like borderlands 2. While in game I am getting a very low gpu usage which is around 30-50% usuage and this is causing some really poor FPS. It does not matter what video settings I am at I will get anywhere between 25-100 fps. I've recently contacted Nvidia about this and they have yet to be able to get me a solution. I know it is not my system/setup because two friends out mine are having the same issues. One of them has a GTX 980 and the other has a GTX 960 and are experiencing the same issue as me. If there is anyone on the forums that is having the issue or knows a fix for this issue that would be much appreciated. Attached are some GPUz logs from Battlefield 4, Borderlands 2, and Counter-Strike Source. Battlefield 4 works without issue where are the other two experience very inconsistent frame rates. 

EDIT: Added MSInfo copy to post

EDIT 2:  Have already done a completely clean installation of the drivers. I have also completely removed them using Display Driver Uninstaller. VSync is turned off both in game and through Nvidia Control Panel. Also, power management mode is set to "Prefer Maximum Performance". None of which has solved the issue. I have turned every none Microsoft service off from startup along with any and all startup programs which also did not resolve the issue.

Battlefield 4 log file.txt

Borderlands 2.txt

Counter-Strike Source.txt

GPUz.gif

MSInfo.nfo

What's your CPU -- it could be a CPU bottleneck. (What resolution are you running your games at?)

for some reason, the memory seems to be locked at 1.2Ghz, which is strange. maybe it is just a GPU-Z error?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, SacredSix said:

i7-4790k, MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, 16 Gigs of 1866 Ripjawsx ram and a 750w power supply. Attached is a copy of my systems info along with a link to pcpartpicker to the full build http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SacredSix/saved/#view=8kPD4D

MSInfo.nfo

Definitely not a bottleneck. I suggest you to uninstall the Nvidia Driver with Display Driver Uninstaller s/w and then clean install the driver which is freshly downloaded from the website. Make sure to set all of your settings in game to which ever is higher. Also Vsync OFF.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

1 minute ago, kameshss said:

Definitely not a bottleneck. I suggest you to uninstall the Nvidia Driver with Display Driver Uninstaller s/w and then clean install the driver which is freshly downloaded from the website. Make sure to set all of your settings in game to which ever is higher. Also Vsync OFF.

Have already done a completely clean installation of the drivers. I have also completely removed them using Display Driver Uninstaller. VSync is turned off both in game and through Nvidia Control Panel. Also, power management mode is set to "Prefer Maximum Performance". None of which has solved the issue

Just now, TrigrH said:

Power management mode: prefer maximum performance

Has already been done. Am going to edit post with steps I have already gone through.

I suspect a cpu bottleneck 

You CPU is wayy downclocked which either means

You downclocked it, you have a shit CPU or check windows advanced power settings it is

likely being held back to save power which is NOT what you want at all. If that doesn't help try 

using V-Sync when ya can too. 

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

Just now, TrigrH said:

have you check your frame rate settings in the borderlands 2 launcher?

The framerates are set to be uncapped. Inside of the menu it functions perfectly. GPU usuage above 80% getting well over 200 FPS. Once I get off the title screen and go into the actual game GPU usage drops to 30-50% and FPS dips well below 30 FPS at times.

1 minute ago, Savageiste said:

You downclocked it, you have a shit CPU or check windows advanced power settings it is

likely being held back to save power which is NOT what you want at all. If that doesn't help try 

CPU is running at it's stock speed of 4.00 GHz turboing to 4.50 when actually underload. http://prntscr.com/bxkloc CPUz

8 minutes ago, Savageiste said:

He has a 4790k.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Did you run any benchmarks like Firestrike, Unigine Heaven and check the GPU usage may be?

3 minutes ago, SacredSix said:

CPU is running at it's stock speed of 4.00 GHz turboing to 4.50 when actually underload. http://prntscr.com/bxkloc CPUz

What the hell we have the same CPU and I don't have that WAIT- you have a 1080 that IS either 

A: A bottleneck and 1080 is too good for it

B: You 4790k is somehow just collapsing an going space cadet 

Buddy I would advise going to a 1070 or making a brand new PC

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

Just now, kameshss said:

Did you run any benchmarks like Firestrike, Unigine Heaven and check the GPU usage may be?

All benchmarking software runs well. I have run firestrike and Unigine Heaven without noticing any kind of issue running Unigine Heaven, FireStrike, FireStrike Extreme, Or FireStrike Ultra

2 minutes ago, Savageiste said:

What the hell we have the same CPU and I don't have that WAIT- you have a 1080 that IS either 

A: A bottleneck and 1080 is too good for it

B: You 4790k is somehow just collapsing an going space cadet 

Buddy I would advise going to a 1070 or making a brand new PC

It is an issue that I've tested on completely different PCs running a 900 series card or a 1000 series card. Also, the 4790k is no where near a bottleneck for the GTX 1080...I can run BF4 maxed settings with constantly above 160 fps in 1080p maxed settings and never dip below 100 fps maxed out in 4k