AMD Radeon Pro SSG - a BETA product for 10000$

zMeul
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is no space for the cards to intake air form. The xeon phis are for workstations. Servers have high power fans, so a cpu or gpu fan isn't needed. There are xeon phi's that are made for servers that have no fans, like this one https://www.google.com/search?q=xeon+phi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje7rzQo5DOAhVEHGMKHdYUAuEQ_AUICygE&biw=900&bih=1537#imgrc=pKIIoryQhAeVlM%3A

I cant speak for any of this. I dont use high end gear.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, unless its what i think it is a just using software.

So ssd to pcie to cpu to pcie to cpu.

Its goin to be slow.

Might as well use the m.2 slot on you motherboard.

It was brought to my attention that the Radeon Pro Duo used a PLX bridge on the board itself. It would be completely possible for them to rework a PLX bridge to make this specific "SSG" card bypass the CPU entirely. 

RadeonProDuoBareD_StraightOn_4c_5inch.jp

Notice the PLX chip on this? That is a 48 lane switch. 16 in, 16 out, 16 mirror. Reworking this for the x4 PCIE M.2 drives on that card would be fairly easy, and would allow them to bypass the CPU entirely. They would pretty much have to, in order for that "went from 17 FPS to 90+FPS" claim to be true. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

AMD Radeon Pro SSG - a BETA product for 10000$

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

so .. what the fuck is this?

one one hand, having extra storage directly available to the GPU as a nth cache level seems OK, until you start thinking about it - it's still slower than RAM, still slower than VRAM

to have a PCIe SSD attached to the GPU you need a controller and I seriously doubt AMD put one in the GPU, so it's external with some sort of BUS to it; and it's also available as local storage

we'll have to see actual real world scenarios of this card

Typical bullshit, sensationalist zMeul reporting. -_-

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Why not normal ram? or laptop ram.

A terabyte of DRAM? That would be insanely expensive.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 hour ago, Shahnewaz said:

Typical bullshit, sensationalist zMeul reporting. -_-

A terabyte of DRAM? That would be insanely expensive.

And take something like 4000 square centimetres of pcb. The pcb would be about a metre long and half a metre wide, covered in memory chips.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

That's kinda neat. ^_^

3 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Why not normal ram? or laptop ram.

3 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Laptop ram would be much faster and better for this task.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, unless its what i think it is a just using software.

So ssd to pcie to cpu to pcie to cpu.

Its goin to be slow.

Might as well use the m.2 slot on you motherboard.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

I'm guessing density and price/GB

ding ding ding ding.

its all about space and price. The largest GDDR5 DRAM dies atm is 2GB/stack. They cost about 25-32$ each and uses about 8-15w depending on manufacturer and product node. To get 1TB you would need 500 of them. That would require a PCB the size of a ATX motherboard. with millions of times more complex trace patterns. The power delivery for such setup would require 1200w just for the GDDR5 DRAM dies when factoring in leakage.

There is also the issue of trace length. At X distance to GPU DIE, GDDR5 latency will be so high that the raw speed wont matter. Thus you will NEVER achieve a balanced memory setup with GDDR5.

The Firepro W9150 with 32GB of GDDR5 is already at the limit of what you can physically do with a normal PCI Express board. To be able to make a PCB able to handle more memory you would have to make a custom board of its own form factor with custom PCB, power delivery, custom memory controllers etc.

At 3000MB/s read/write for the highest end NVMe drives, and assume they use one or two PLX chips to create 2x PCIe Gen3 x4 connections, one would be able to move between 3-6GB/s of data. Depending on whether they add a Marvell or Intel RAID controller.

PLX chips cost around 95-140 USD a piece depending on "bulk"prices.

not sure about RAID controllers, looking at RAID AIBs i would assume 50-75 USD for a RAID controller.

It is not a cheap board to produce going by form factor and product features.

Use case: "Hugely complex and highly detailed CAD models that took the better part of an hour to load up and decompress will still take the better part of an hour to load up and decompress on an SSG GPU based system. Why bother? Because it takes the better part of an hour to load and decompress the first time, then it can stay resident on the GPU’s flash storage. The second time it should take seconds. "

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/07/25/amd-puts-massive-ssds-gpus-calls-ssg/

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

what SSD is the one on the right that does 4590MB/s?!

a 950PRO does around 700MB/s in random 4k q32 reads and peaks at about 2.5GB/s in sequential

unless they put 2 in RAID 0 and compared to a single one - that's just misrepresenting the product .. basically lying trough their teeth

That's how fast it's rendering, genius...

Guys guys this is obviously AMD's attempt to dominate the market by being able to install Linux on your GPU!

Think about the possibilities!

You don't have to 'load textures' when playing a game anymore, it's already available on the GPU!

15 minutes ago, ManIkWeet said:

Guys guys this is obviously AMD's attempt to dominate the market by being able to install Linux on your GPU!

Think about the possibilities!

You don't have to 'load textures' when playing a game anymore, it's already available on the GPU!

the idea of loading textures to the GPU is actually kinda neat.

54 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's how fast it's rendering, genius...

gee ... and it's scrubing from!? the fucking SSD

genius

as AMD demonstrated, scrubbing through an 8K video file.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

this needs to be tested by someone else

AMD has a history of bending the truth

and here is what I'm talking about:

IUIixNF.png

what SSD is the one on the right that does 4590MB/s?!

a 950PRO does around 700MB/s in random 4k q32 reads and peaks at about 2.5GB/s in sequential

unless they put 2 in RAID 0 and compared to a single one - that's just misrepresenting the product .. basically lying trough their teeth

If we talk general server grade PCI SSD's, then this will do 6000 MBps http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/enterprise-ssd/MZPLK6T4HCJL?ia=832

But since is a demo of M.2's, these should easily hit that in RAID0 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-sm961-ssd,4608.html

Though 1 might be enough if combined with the onboard VRAM.

Either way, this product is tailored to a very specific need, and I'm sure it will be the best on the market for such a need. Especially if the entire thing bypasses the CPU+sysram. Interesting.

The only thing that sucks, is that all these new Pro cards are only based on Polaris. They are weak compared to P6000 cards from Nvidia.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The cooler sucks for servers. blowers don't work for 1u servers.

Who says this is for servers and not workstations? This card might actually improve workflows at LTT, if they work on large videos and lots of material.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If I was gonna have multiple M.2 SSDs I know I'd wanna RAID them...

I have no need for this personally, but I am really interested as to the valid use cases and what kind of real world improvement it can offer.

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

gee ... and it's scrubing from!? the fucking SSD

genius

It's rendering. Stop being obtuse just in order to find some way to shit on AMD.

The Radeon Pro SSG appears to be capable of faster-than-real-time rendering of 8K raw footage. The card was rendering 4.5GB/s at that pace.

Just now, Sakkura said:

It's rendering. Stop being obtuse just in order to find some way to shit on AMD.

and it's rendering from what source!? thin air?

it's rendering form the fucking SSDs

in the left shot it's rendering from some PCIe installed SSD while on the right it's doing it from two RAID0 SSDs mounted on the Radeon Pro board

there is no single SSD capable of those speeds

Just now, zMeul said:

and it's rendering from what source!? thin air?

it's rendering form the fucking SSDs

in the left shot it's rendering from some PCIe installed SSD while on the right it's doing it from two RAID0 SSDs mounted on the Radeon Pro board

Are you incapable of rational thought? Source and output don't have to be the same size.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Are you incapable of rational thought? Source and output don't have to be the same size.

are you dense!?

they scrub trough the same source, in one instance it's doing it at 17FPS and in the other it's doing it at 90FPS - this was AMD's comparison their Radeon Pro SSG product is spectacular

the comparison is a fucking lie and a misrepresentation of the truth and this is why I said it needs to be tested by a 3rd party - AMD has a history of bending the truth in their favor

29 minutes ago, zMeul said:

are you dense!?

they scrub trough the same source, in one instance it's doing it at 17FPS and in the other it's doing it at 90FPS - this was AMD's comparison their Radeon Pro SSG product is spectacular

the comparison is a fucking lie and a misrepresentation of the truth and this is why I said it needs to be tested by a 3rd party - AMD has a history of bending the truth in their favor

They are rendering, not scrubbing. Can you not read?

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

They are rendering, not scrubbing. Can you not read?

quote, source Anand as I posted in the OP:

As AMD explains it, the purpose of going this route is to offer another solution to the workset size limitations of current professional graphics cards. Even AMD’s largest card currently tops out at 32GB, and while this is a fair amount, there are workloads that can use more. This is particular the case for workloads with massive datasets (oil & gas), or as AMD demonstrated, scrubbing through an 8K video file.

scrubbing or rendering, it makes no fucking difference as the source is the same

one is doing it at 846MB/s and the other is doing it at 4590MB/s - the 2nd one is not possible to achieve without 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0

so, why didn't they used 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0 in the 1st setup?

---

and here's why their solution is bullshit

a 16x PCIe gen 3 connection has 15,754 GB/s per direction bandwidth - thus, 1x is 984,6 MB/s

and AMD's demonstration uses 4590 MB/s - that's slightly more than a 4x gen 3 PCIe in one direction (3,938GB/s) - totally doable if we'd have SSDs that fast, as PCIe NVMe storage uses 4x PCIe connection

so yes, AMD lied and misrepresented their product once more

Why does the Radeon Pro SSG look like it's based on Fiji instead of Polaris?

CoQn51CUkAIXWFM.jpg

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

54 minutes ago, zMeul said:

quote, source Anand as I posted in the OP:

scrubbing or rendering, it makes no fucking difference as the source is the same

one is doing it at 846MB/s and the other is doing it at 4590MB/s - the 2nd one is not possible to achieve without 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0

so, why didn't they used 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0 in the 1st setup?

And they are not specifically linking the 4.5 GB/s with scrubbing, unlike the source I linked, proving your claim false.

And you still aren't understanding the concept of source and output being different sizes.

It's probably going to be an ssd as a level 2 cache and not accessing it directly. Sort of how an hybrid hdd that has a tiny ssd on it works.

Might be slightly better than going through the CPU to get to a traditional m.2 ssd but it's certainly not possible for it to just read the ssd directly they aren't fast enough yet and if they were it would cost a hell of a lot more than 10k for the SSD alone.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

Ding ding ding, looks like time you read the thread again :D 

(aka, look below as I quoted it for you)

3 hours ago, Notional said:

If we talk general server grade PCI SSD's, then this will do 6000 MBps http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/enterprise-ssd/MZPLK6T4HCJL?ia=832

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It's probably going to be an ssd as a level 2 cache and not accessing it directly. Sort of how an hybrid hdd that has a tiny ssd on it works.

Which makes sense as a NVMe SSD won't have the reads and write speeds of normal vRAM while also, you won't be able to write as much to the SSDs compared to usual vRAM :P 

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Might be slightly better than going through the CPU to get to a traditional m.2 ssd but it's certainly not possible for it to just read the ssd directly they aren't fast enough yet and if they were it would cost a hell of a lot more than 10k for the SSD alone.

If they used PLX chips and whatever to bolt the m.2 SSDs straight on then it means that the NVMe SSDs aren't actually taking up the CPU lanes which can help when you're running like 4 of them in a single workstation while transferring lots of data between the NVMe SSD(s) as storage and the NVMe SSD(s) on the GPU(s) :P.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

@zMeul

The issue isn't the bandwidth of reading from the source, but rather the latency and the complexity of having the CPU micromanaging it.

Sure it will not help one bit of the initial data transfer, but past that (every read thereafter), it will have a great benefit in certain data-heavy applications.

We are still waiting for your explaination in how they were tampering with the polaris 11 numbers.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

11 hours ago, Prysin said:

ding ding ding ding.

its all about space and price. The largest GDDR5 DRAM dies atm is 2GB/stack. They cost about 25-32$ each and uses about 8-15w depending on manufacturer and product node. To get 1TB you would need 500 of them. That would require a PCB the size of a ATX motherboard. with millions of times more complex trace patterns. The power delivery for such setup would require 1200w just for the GDDR5 DRAM dies when factoring in leakage.

There is also the issue of trace length. At X distance to GPU DIE, GDDR5 latency will be so high that the raw speed wont matter. Thus you will NEVER achieve a balanced memory setup with GDDR5.

The Firepro W9150 with 32GB of GDDR5 is already at the limit of what you can physically do with a normal PCI Express board. To be able to make a PCB able to handle more memory you would have to make a custom board of its own form factor with custom PCB, power delivery, custom memory controllers etc.

At 3000MB/s read/write for the highest end NVMe drives, and assume they use one or two PLX chips to create 2x PCIe Gen3 x4 connections, one would be able to move between 3-6GB/s of data. Depending on whether they add a Marvell or Intel RAID controller.

PLX chips cost around 95-140 USD a piece depending on "bulk"prices.

not sure about RAID controllers, looking at RAID AIBs i would assume 50-75 USD for a RAID controller.

It is not a cheap board to produce going by form factor and product features.

They wouldn't need two PLX chips. The chip they used on the Radeon Pro Duo is already a 48 lane chip, which would be plenty enough for something like this card. Such a PLX chip can easily be reworked to provide ample lanes for the GPU and two SSDs. Remember, its 16 in, 16 out, 16 mirror. M.2 SSD's that run off of PCIE x4 are 32Gbps. Plenty of extra lanes to handle that off of a single PEX8747 chip. 

Technically, if they used an on-die controller, they could bypass the 100ns PEX8747 switch latency (peak) as the card could address the slots directly. This would make it the single most complicated GPU in history, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.