OpenGl gets some mantle benefits

RatedBlam

Graham Sellers, AMDs OpenGL guy posted in twitter that OpenGl will get some mantle extensions that will bring performance benefits almost as large as mantle.

So is this the open in mantle? In my opinion sounds really good, but i didn't find anything in the article about nvidia.

Source: http://www.hardware.fi/uutiset/artikkeli.cfm/2013/10/07/amd_aikoo_tuoda_opengl_lle_osan_mantle-optimoinneista?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afterdawn_uutiset+(AfterDawn+-+Uutiset)

English source: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-aims-to-give-opengl-a-big-boost-api-wont-be-the-bottleneck/ Thanks @frontliner

Edit: One important part in the article is that it could be that this method is easier for devs to implement in their games. So maybe AMD is just being dev friendly to get the Mantle going

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Mantle works ONLY with the GCN architecture, so those OpenGL extensions would ONLY work with GCN based graphics cards.

That's the 7000 series & Up.

Did an edit translating one part of the article for possible clarification

That. Is. Awesome. :D

They REALLY should've made this a point in their presentation. I bet it would've made people a bit more excited about it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

the tweet didnt say anything about mantel being implemented in OpenGL

what i understand is that new OpenGL extensions will expose all of the hardware so API wont be a bottleneck  (not just AMD)

ill wait  for a better clarification

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the tweet didnt say anything about mantel being implemented in OpenGL

what i understand is that new OpenGL extensions will expose all of the hardware so API wont be a bottleneck  (not just AMD)

ill wait  for a better clarification

The post is not meant to say anything like that, it's about optimizations. Not mantle in OpenGl. I'm sorry for any mistranslations, because the text is rather technical for me

Mantle works ONLY with the GCN architecture, so those OpenGL extensions would ONLY work with GCN based graphics cards.

That's the 7000 series & Up.

so basically xbox one, ps4, and all pc's with amd cards?

oh wait, are people actually upset they won't get mantle on nvidia? hi physx

so basically xbox one, ps4, and all pc's with amd cards?

oh wait, are people actually upset they won't get mantle on nvidia? hi physx

Yup... all the people who bought Origin PC systems will be!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Yup... all the people who bought Origin PC systems will be!

Aww, you wanted more performance, but we dropped the AMD cards from our selection...let me help you there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDAk0eK2Wo

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II