Spoilers appear to be broken

Atmos

Alright, sorry if this is already known about. I ran a few searches on google restricted to this site and couldnt find anything relating to these issues.

Spoilers, at least when implemented in a post using the brackets

[spoiler][/spoiler]

appear to pull content posted afterwards into the spoiler; For example...

"Text Before a Spoiler"

"Text Within a Spoiler"

"Text After a Spoiler"

would result in the line "Text After a Spoiler" being placed within the spoiler. this appears to have only recently started happening. I have not tested to see if it does it with the automatic spoiler tool in the toolbar.

EDIT:: That section above was originally in a code box, so I have no idea why it decided to actually turn it into a spoiler.

To give a working example of this...

"Text Before a Spoiler"

"Text Within a Spoiler"

"Text After a Spoiler"

And now the rest of this post should wind up within that spoiler. Sorry, this post may get a little messy.

EDIT:: Now, I've also noticed that attempting to place a code box within a spoiler pulls the text and formatting and just inserts it as plain text. In the editor it does not do this, only once the post is submitted and viewable by others. I'll try again to replicate the issue. Just to make sure it winds up in a spoiler, I'll once again manually insert the brackets for a spoiler. EDIT:: And now after two attempts on separate threads it partially(?) works. I have no idea why. Also it appears to only be pulling in the text made after the last spoiler in the OP.

Sample code without syntax formatting

Sample code with HTML formatting

Sample code with CSS formatting

I've inserted the three lines in separately as three boxes of sample code for each syntax highlighting scheme, just to make sure bases are covered.

Though, I suppose this text is now within that second spoiler.

I've yet to see if it does this on mobile, or chome/firefox. My browser details are below, I'm currently using Opera '38'

IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.50

Javascript enabled

Flash version 21.0.0

No Java support

Websockets supported

Browser size: 2543x1330

Screen size: 2560x1440

24bit color depth

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

So If I do something like this, and only have one spoiler in a post... then it should pull the rest of the post in with it.

This is code with HTML syntax highlighting enabled.
This is code with CSS syntax highlighting enabled.

and finally

This is code with no syntax highlighting enabled.

Now, if the issue happens at particular circumstances, this text should also be within the spoiler, even though its been placed after the closing bracket.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I can't reproduce it. Can you use the code button on the editor (because I know for sure that it doesn't get messed with using the code button rather than BBCode) to type exactly what you are using to reproduce it.

However, as with the previous BBCode bug that was reported here, the devs may reject it and say that you should use the editor button instead, which doesn't suffer from these issues.

HTTP/2 203

8 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I can't reproduce it. Can you use the code button on the editor (because I know for sure that it doesn't get messed with using the code button rather than BBCode) to type exactly what you are using to reproduce it.

However, as with the previous BBCode bug that was reported here, the devs may reject it and say that you should use the editor button instead, which doesn't suffer from these issues.

I use the manual method mainly because there are times when the tool just doesn't even work, like If im trying to place a box of code in spoiler with the tool I'll highlight the code box, select the tool, and have nothing happen.

Though, I'll give it a shot now again.

Spoiler

Sample text placed with a spoiler created with the tool

Sample code with HTML highlighting

Sample code with CSS highlighting

Sample code with no syntax highlighting

sample text placed after a spoiler created with the tool.

I've also dropped a few more boxes of code within the spoiler generated by the tool to see if they still have issues.

EDIT:: So i can assume then the bug is only applicable to this browser (opera), and only using the bbcode brackets for spoilers. Interesting, though often if the bug exists at all its a symptom of a larger problem. Or not, could be entirely wrong. Either way guess I'll just have to get used to using the tool instead of the brackets.

21 hours ago, Atmos said:

EDIT:: So i can assume then the bug is only applicable to this browser (opera), and only using the bbcode brackets for spoilers. Interesting, though often if the bug exists at all its a symptom of a larger problem. Or not, could be entirely wrong. Either way guess I'll just have to get used to using the tool instead of the brackets.

Not necessarily with web issues.... There are so many compatibility issues with browsers that many bugs are isolated to single browser use cases. Browers also vary on how much of the standard they chose to follow, or how much they implement correctly (which sounds bizar, you would think a standard would be implemented the same way... but nope)

https://html5test.com/compare/browser/chrome-51/edge/firefox-47/safari-9.1/opera-38.html

Tl;dr browsers suck and it's surprising the web works as well as it does whenever everyone does things different. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

5 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

Not necessarily with web issues.... There are so many compatibility issues with browsers that many bugs are isolated to single browser use cases. Browers also vary on how much of the standard they chose to follow, or how much they implement correctly (which sounds bizar, you would think a standard would be implemented the same way... but nope)

https://html5test.com/compare/browser/chrome-51/edge/firefox-47/safari-9.1/opera-38.html

Tl;dr browsers suck and it's surprising the web works as well as it does whenever everyone does things different. 

Guess it is surprising, though I don't think I should be surprised. With how much of the marketshare that chrome, firefox, and the current iteration of ie (forgot the name, still on W7 like a tard) is currently in use right now have; opera simply doesnt have a large enough install base to warrant massively spread out support for the browser. To be honest, I'm surprised there are as many plugins for it as there are, and it works as well as it does across as many sites as it does.

Still though, would gladly accept all the little minor problems with opera any day over having chrome use up 3gbs+ of ram when I run a dozen tabs, or firefox constantly crashing :3 Especially on mobile where chrome has decided to do away entirely with managing tabs in-app, and instead just gives you a new page. Trying to find a single page in that stack of 30-50 apps and windows of chrome that are open is about impossible nowadays.

Opera uses webkit/blink for its rendering engine now, so it should actually work the same as chrome. Unless I'm missing something, this is an issue with bbcode parsing, which is handled server side. 

What is the exact contents of the editor that results in it not working? 

HTTP/2 203

32 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Opera uses webkit/blink for its rendering engine now, so it should actually work the same as chrome. Unless I'm missing something, this is an issue with bbcode parsing, which is handled server side. 

What is the exact contents of the editor that results in it not working? 

I can attempt to replicate it and simply post a screenshot of the editor in the post a moment after I post it.

For the code boxes, I used the tool from the editor, not the bbcode tags.

Code with no syntax highlighting

code with html highlighting

code with css highlighting

"text after a spoiler in editor"

EDIT:: Screenshot of editor right here 

6FFnfG6.png