My Corsair GS700 died with a bang:(

bcredeur97

I had purchased a used Corsair GS700 on ebay recently(probably not so smart eh?) I trusted the seller, and it was a good deal. When I got it in, I was surprised to fine the plastic on one of the SATA connectors broken. I didnt mind becasue I didn't need all those SATA connectors, and observing the rest of the PSU everything seemed fine. I installed it in my PC and it powered right up, and I loved it. Been using it for about a month when suddenly I hear a loud pop that actually causes my right ear to ring(and I caught a glimpse of a blue electrical spark to my right), and my PC immediately turns off and would not power back on. I immediately took apart my PC, nearly tearing up. I removed the power supply and installed my one ancient one in my closet. PC powered up fine and is working now. This moment still saddens me though, I spent a good bit of money on this power supply, and because Im a teenager and money is hard to come by, I dont have the money to replace it so Im stuck with this old Xtremegear thing.

:(

*cries*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

K, nice story....

I wish my HP laptop would not burn a hole in my table

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I have that thing but I don't have any power intensive things installed... I already had one PSU explode on me.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I had purchased a used Corsair GS700 on ebay recently(probably not so smart eh?) I trusted the seller, and it was a good deal. When I got it in, I was surprised to fine the plastic on one of the SATA connectors broken. I didnt mind becasue I didn't need all those SATA connectors, and observing the rest of the PSU everything seemed fine. I installed it in my PC and it powered right up, and I loved it. Been using it for about a month when suddenly I hear a loud pop that actually causes my right ear to ring(and I caught a glimpse of a blue electrical spark to my right), and my PC immediately turns off and would not power back on. I immediately took apart my PC, nearly tearing up. I removed the power supply and installed my one ancient one in my closet. PC powered up fine and is working now. This moment still saddens me though, I spent a good bit of money on this power supply, and because Im a teenager and money is hard to come by, I dont have the money to replace it so Im stuck with this old Xtremegear thing.

:(

*cries*

Have you talked to the seeler and did you use paypal, also never buy a psu used lol

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I have that thing but I don't have any power intensive things installed... I already had one PSU explode on me.

[spoiler like this?]

Explosion_mushroom_shaped.gif

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

There there. It is a learning process. Not we know not to buy PC parts off of eBay. Need a recommendation fora PSU? Get another G series or a HX or AX or RM whatever fits in your budget. Sea sonic has good PSUs as well as EVGA and some of the Cooler Master ones.

Quote me to get a reply!

Have you talked to the seeler and did you use paypal, also never buy a psu used lol

Yes I used Paypal. and I pretty much had to buy it used I had no money for a new one:(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

[spoiler like this?]

Explosion_mushroom_shaped.gif

Needs more cowbell and electrical supernova type shizzz

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Yeah, never buy used components if at all avoidable, unless you get it from someone you know. 

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Yes I used Paypal. and I pretty much had to buy it used I had no money for a new one:(

Look up return policy's with paypal, and if he stated its perfect working condition then you may be able to start a case through paypal and maybe get your money back...how much did you spend?

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Look up return policy's with paypal, and if he stated its perfect working condition then you may be able to start a case through paypal and maybe get your money back...how much did you spend?

dont remember exactly... I think it was like $70

Spoiler

First off never buy used power supplies. Second the GS700 isn't a very good power supply to begin with and if it was broken you shoudl have had a look at it in person before you bought it.

dont remember exactly... I think it was like $70

Do the other stuff and contact the seller

There there. It is a learning process. Not we know not to buy PC parts off of eBay. Need a recommendation fora PSU? Get another G series or a HX or AX or RM whatever fits in your budget. Sea sonic has good PSUs as well as EVGA and some of the Cooler Master ones.

EVGA power supplies SUCK

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

EVGA power supplies SUCK

There 600B isn't a bad PSU.

Quote me to get a reply!

Their* 600B isn't a bad PSU.

Sorry, just had to...

@OP That is a total bummer, man :'(

For future reference the old gs series power supplies made many problems, fans stop spinning, over heating, even one case melted around it which is funny. Basically with the GS series always ask if its a 2013 edition. If its not then run away and fast, its the same with the old coolermaster GX series. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well, at least it went out with a bang.

tumblr_mixvflS98U1r6ly6ao1_400.gif

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

For future reference the old gs series power supplies made many problems, fans stop spinning, over heating, even one case melted around it which is funny. Basically with the GS series always ask if its a 2013 edition. If its not then run away and fast, its the same with the old coolermaster GX series. 

Funny thing is it was a 2013 edition. I guess It was just a "dud" in the first place. I jsut contacted the seller and he said he may be able to ship me another one, so there is hope.

Spoiler

There 600B isn't a bad PSU.

it may not be HORRIBLE but there are much better options for your money. I don't know about you but i want the best for my money, and I am assuming that the rest of us do too??

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

it may not be HORRIBLE but there are much better options for your money. I don't know about you but i want the best for my money, and I am assuming that the rest of us do too??

It's a matter of what unit we are talking about and what price range they are set at. I wouldn't used the Evga 500/600B as an example of their "good" PSUs, as they are entry level PSUs, but units like the EVGA SuperNova 1000/1300 G2/P2 are high-end units that are based off of the SuperFlower Leadex design and is among the best PSU atm along with units like Seasonic KM3, the Delta build Antec HCP, etc. These G2 units are price very well atm in the US.

The 600B cost about 40 $ and it's 80+ bronze

Quote me to get a reply!

Sort of good that the psu didn't kill any other parts. If you are planning to replace the GS700, I would get the XFX Core 750W.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer