Please help me get to 4.7 Ghz?

Hi I'm a noob overclocker, but I now have cooling to get more juice out of my PC. TL;DR go to bottom of this post

My CPU is Intel i7-4790K and my MOBO is Asus Z97-PRO Gamer (BIOS Version 2107 11/11/2015), I have a 4.6 Ghz overclock atm., I checked Linus's video guide to overclocking 4790K and other videos.

First of all, I don't have XMP as an option in my AI Overclock Tuner, and I have come to the conclusion that a static overclock is easier for me, I tried changing to adaptive/offset, but too advanced for me atm.

I will provide you with pictures of the only settings I have changed while achieving my 4.6 Ghz overclock.

Red ring is settings I have changed, everything else is on default (auto) with my 4.6 Ghz overclock.

oDO7ftK.jpg

HhJRLGw.jpg

YiE0I4O.jpg

ItJPrIl.jpg

57sDVYu.jpg

Someone in a video guide pressed in some numbers at the CPU Cache Voltage, so I tried that once, but since I don't know how it works I didn't go further, and just put it on Auto again.

THE ISSUE

At some point I had a 4.7 Ghz overclock, but I don't remember the voltage numbers and settings I used, I later went back to a very basic 4.6 Ghz static overclock instead of trying with adaptive.

The problem with the 4.7 Ghz overclock I had was that it was fine in RealBench and games, but I also tried to convert video in the stand-alone program Handbrake, but it just stopped after seconds. (I read something about there's a difference in having a stable overclock of zero's and one's and converting, which may be somewhat different in that regard, requiring a flow of data with no small pauses, idk.)

So I went back to 4.6 Ghz with no settings I don't understand(images provided above^), because with that all my noob tests went through with no issues.

MY PLAN, please help

My plan is to hear you guys if you think my plan is great and then do the following, my plan is to add more voltage in small steps to try to achieve a stable 4.7Ghz, but maybe you guys know that I should change something else as well to go further? Maybe the CPU Core Ratio and the CPU Core Voltage isn't the only options I should change?

Thanks in advance :)

I do know I should use better stress testing and for longer time, but I just want it to work first. And maybe it's time to update BIOS again.

turbo mode  is turbo boost? that need to be off

leave the ram on stock

is  more easy to see what made the system crash

when the oc in the cpu is  stable you can  go an change  the ram speed.

Increase CPU current limit in the digi+ vrm section as well to 140%

going to guess you are using hyperx fury. this does not feature an "xmp" profile. it has the jedec defaults filled out with "xmp" settings (rather than generic 1333C9 or 1600C11) as it's designed to be as noob friendly as possible.

With my 4790K I managed to get it stable at 4.7GHz at 1.25V, (everything else auto-the RAM is DDR3 1333MHz VLP that I bought for my i5 4440). with that being said, start out at 1.3V and reduce it until its no longer stable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Thanks guys I will try to start out with 1.3V for 4.7 Ghz, and see if I can get a succesful handbrake conversion, that program seems to be very fragile/demanding.

14 hours ago, JeJaRaLa said:

turbo mode  is turbo boost? that need to be off

Thanks I wondered about that. Just saw someone who didn't touch it at all, so I didn't neither, will turn it off.

14 hours ago, harrynowl said:

Increase CPU current limit in the digi+ vrm section as well to 140%

going to guess you are using hyperx fury. this does not feature an "xmp" profile. it has the jedec defaults filled out with "xmp" settings (rather than generic 1333C9 or 1600C11) as it's designed to be as noob friendly as possible.

Thanks I will read about digi+ vrm. In the meantime can you explain to me why changing that to 140% is necessary or just a good idea to do?

Yes I use Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 GB (DDR3).

12 minutes ago, MeJoho said:

Thanks guys I will try to start out with 1.3V for 4.7 Ghz, and see if I can get a succesful handbrake conversion, that program seems to be very fragile/demanding.

Thanks I wondered about that. Just saw someone who didn't touch it at all, so I didn't neither, will turn it off.

Thanks I will read about digi+ vrm. In the meantime can you explain to me why changing that to 140% is necessary or just a good idea to do?

Yes I use Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 GB (DDR3).

140% just means that the CPU can be fed more power.

Power is quite important for overclocking. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I just set digi+ vrm 140% and set voltage to 1.3V. 4.7Ghz but Handbrake conversion stopped mid through. I'm sure gaming and RealBeanch will be fine, but not a normal video conversion...

Do you guys think it's Handbrake which has problems handling 4.7Ghz or do I have a "bad" CPU?

Should I increase voltage or just call it a day and go back to 4.6Ghz?

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

140% just means that the CPU can be fed more power.

Power is quite important for overclocking. 

Thanks it's on 140% now. Seemed like Auto put it on 140% anyway, but idk (since 140% was highlighted when on Auto before changing to 140% manually)

2 minutes ago, MeJoho said:

I just set digi+ vrm 140% and set voltage to 1.3V. 4.7Ghz but Handbrake conversion stopped mid through. I'm sure gaming and RealBeanch will be fine, but not a normal video conversion...

Do you guys think it's Handbrake which has problems handling 4.7Ghz or do I have a "bad" CPU?

Should I increase voltage or just call it a day and go back to 4.6Ghz?

Thanks it's on 140% now. Seemed like Auto put it on 140% anyway, but idk (since 140% was highlighted when on Auto before changing to 140% manually)

To be honest i never really bother with stress tests at all. As long as gaming is fine then that's all i really care about. Little bit of cinebench and FS/TS Physics does the trick. 

But if you require a rock solid overclock then you can try and get RealBench or Handbrake to do their thing. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

To be honest i never really bother with stress tests at all. As long as gaming is fine then that's all i really care about. Little bit of cinebench and FS/TS Physics does the trick. 

But if you require a rock solid overclock then you can try and get RealBench or Handbrake to do their thing. 

Me too. The thing is though that I use Handbrake to convert videos once in a while, so it's pretty important that it works.

I have decreased my voltage to 1.25 with 4.6 Ghz now, to see if I can turn down the voltage.

EDIT: Oh that was bad idea, it crashed. Trying 1.27 and will go down, since 1.275 was fine.

1 hour ago, MeJoho said:

Me too. The thing is though that I use Handbrake to convert videos once in a while, so it's pretty important that it works.

I have decreased my voltage to 1.25 with 4.6 Ghz now, to see if I can turn down the voltage.

EDIT: Oh that was bad idea, it crashed. Trying 1.27 and will go down, since 1.275 was fine.

IDK if anyone mentioned this, but XMP is specific to RAM speeds and timings, so wherever you can adjust those things you will see XMP.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Increase voltage up to 1.37.  Try for 48x multi.  

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

IDK if anyone mentioned this, but XMP is specific to RAM speeds and timings, so wherever you can adjust those things you will see XMP.

Oh, thanks I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

Increase voltage up to 1.37.  Try for 48x multi.  

Why do I have a feeling this guy is trying to cook my CPU.

8 minutes ago, MeJoho said:

Well, it is OK for short benchmarking runs. But 1.3V is the best for 24/7 use, with 1.35V being the highest you should ever take it for 24/7 use.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 minutes ago, MeJoho said:

1.37 isn't going to cook your CPU. 1.8v will. 1.45v is fine for short benchmarking runs.  1.37v is absolutely fine. 

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well, it is OK for short benchmarking runs. But 1.3V is the best for 24/7 use, with 1.35V being the highest you should ever take it for 24/7 use.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Oh okay thanks :D I might try to shoot for 4.8Ghz or 4.7Ghz and just make OC profiles so I can go back to this 4.6Ghz OC anytime I need to convert video, because so far any overclock I have achieved oved 4.6Ghz has made Handbrake stop mid through when converting video from my hard drive.

Atm. I have made a stable 4.6Ghz OC with 1.265V because it crashed at 1.250V.

4 hours ago, MeJoho said:

If you need 1.275v for 4.6GHz. 1.3v for 4.7GHz will not cut it. When the clock speed is close to the chip's limit. It needs 0.5-0.6v to jump 0.1GHz. So probably you need 1.32-1.33v to be stable at 4.7GHz. Although I think 1.33v is perfectly fine for 24/7 as long as you have good cooling to keep the temperature under control.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

If you need 1.275v for 4.6GHz. 1.3v for 4.7GHz will not cut it. When the clock speed is close to the chip's limit. It needs 0.5-0.6v to jump 0.1GHz. So probably you need 1.32-1.33v to be stable at 4.7GHz. Although I think 1.33v is perfectly fine for 24/7 as long as you have good cooling to keep the temperature under control.

Thanks, I got it to use 1.265V for 4.6Ghz since making this thread. I will put your words into consideration when aiming for big numbers.

But I should care about my temps, it's a cheap ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240, but it's a great improvement from my Corsair H60. I don't use the 4 stock fans though. I use a Noctua and a CoolerMaster fan. But can both go over 2000 RPM.

I have learned that I shouldn't be that scared for temps under 90°C. With this 4.6Ghz OC it hits about 73°C at full load and less when gaming ofc.

1 hour ago, MeJoho said:

Thanks, I got it to use 1.265V for 4.6Ghz since making this thread. I will put your words into consideration when aiming for big numbers.

But I should care about my temps, it's a cheap ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 240, but it's a great improvement from my Corsair H60. I don't use the 4 stock fans though. I use a Noctua and a CoolerMaster fan. But can both go over 2000 RPM.

I have learned that I shouldn't be that scared for temps under 90°C. With this 4.6Ghz OC it hits about 73°C at full load and less when gaming ofc.

Not everyone has the same preference to max CPU temp. I much prefer it runs below 75C underload.

Because the CPU requires a big voltage increase(0.5v) to go from 4.6 to 4.7GHz. The temperature jumps as well. My 4790k increases by 9C from 4.7 to 4.8GHz.

It seems I have reached my goal. Thanks for the help.

At 4.8 Ghz 1.35V Handbrake failed. 4.7 Ghz 1.32V worked perfect. Maybe my CPU isn't the best of all i7-4790K's to overclock.

I'm not planning to push the voltage more than 1.35V if you guys say it isn't that safe for 24/7 usage.

But I'm happy, 4.7Ghz has way better e-peen potential than 4.6Ghz imo.