R480 and GeForce 1060 price point and performance confusion?

nerd866
2 hours ago, App4that said:

AMD wasn't on the same version of OpenGL

Citation needed.

3 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

The cheapest RX 480 costs $259.99. The cheapest GTX 1060 I've found costs $324.99. All in Canadian prices.

The only company that carries the 4gb model is newegg and they haven't been in stock since launch while the 8gbs have come and gone a few times.

12 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Citation needed.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Kyle2202 said:

The only company that carries the 4gb model is newegg and they haven't been in stock since launch while the 8gbs have come and gone a few times.

True but aftermarket variants will hopefully change that.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

True but aftermarket variants will hopefully change that.

From what I've heard they're not going to even bother with 4gbs it's pretty well been abandoned. I'm curious as to what they're going to do with the 470s though...will they ever come out lol.

Since we're comparing Vulkan numbers, might as well show them all. Talos Vulkan is not optimized for either Nvidia or AMD (although DX11 TP prefers AMD), unlike Vulkan Doom which uses functions and optimizations for GCN that boost performance by a large %.

talos vulkan.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Since we're comparing Vulkan numbers, might as well show them all. Talos Vulkan is not optimized for either Nvidia or AMD (although DX11 TP prefers AMD), unlike Vulkan Doom which uses functions and optimizations for GCN that boost performance by a large %.

talos vulkan.png

I'm expecting the same story with AMD optimized DX12 titles...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Just now, Kyle2202 said:

From what I've heard they're not going to even bother with 4gbs it's pretty well been abandoned. I'm curious as to what they're going to do with the 470s though...will they ever come out lol.

Seeing how Gigabyte has a 4GB G1 Gaming variant...

Spoiler

GIGABYTE-Radeon-RX-480-6-900x777.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

19 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Seeing how Gigabyte has a 4GB G1 Gaming variant...

Hide contents

GIGABYTE-Radeon-RX-480-6-900x777.jpg

Hopefully it comes to Canada and at a decent price

RX480 is more likely the better choice because 1. it get's more performance out of DX12/Vulkan 2. it ages well than 1060 3. it cheaper

Sure, on the surface Nvidia show a good impression but I have the feeling that AMD is slowly pulling the strings behind Nvidia.

1 hour ago, Kyle2202 said:

Hopefully it comes to Canada and at a decent price

The Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB costs $220 USD so prices look to be decent for one of the best aftermarket coolers so far for the RX 480. Albeit, the Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB is $269, which makes it somewhat a worse choice than the GTX 1060 in that price range.

ASUS on the other hand...

Spoiler