R480 and GeForce 1060 price point and performance confusion?

nerd866

Generally I hear that the 1060 is more expensive than the 480 but when I look in the store at the actual cards on the shelf that doesn't seem to be the case. For example:

R480 for $334.99 CAD: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX62961

1060 for $339.99 CAD: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63114

How is there any competition whatsoever when, in almost every case, the 1060 wins in terms of performance. Yes that's a cheap 1060 but it's still a 1060 chip and I have no reason to think it won't outperform the 480, correct?

What's going on here?

CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz RAM: 128GB Corsair @ 2666MHz Motherboard: Asus Z390 Prime P Graphics Card: EVGA 2060 OS Drive: 1TB NVME Other drives:860 Evo 1TB, Crucial BX500 500GB x 2, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

1 minute ago, Kyle2202 said:

To put it simply...I think nvidia just pulled their cock out and slapped amd with it

LEL,when Vulkan becomes a thing Nvidia is going to be crying out there begging AMD to make there cards have decent performance

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

You're comparing the most expensive RX 480 (given, there's two) to the one of the cheaper GTX 1060s. Makes complete sense when people question a $70 CAD gap for a slight performance gain. Also, Vulkan and DirectX 12 show the RX 480 comfortably beating the GTX 1060.

$259.99 Radeon RX 480 4GB - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131693

$324.99 GeForce GTX 1060 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125879

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

The 1060 will still win in performance since thermals aren't an issue for it as far as I can tell, and what's going on is that card is above msrp more % wise than the 1060 in this case

Just now, Dresta said:

LEL,when Vulkan becomes a thing Nvidia is going to be crying out there begging AMD to make there cards have decent performance

Nvidia does fine in vulkan, you don't seem to understand that amd doesn't own vulkan or that optimization is a thing both companies have been forced to do before

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Dresta said:

It's more of a "if" rather than a "when"...not gonna lie though, I was full on board to buy a 480, but they're never in stock (Canada) and the 1060 is the same price here too...

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

You're comparing the most expensive RX 480 (given, there's two) to the one of the cheaper GTX 1060s. Makes complete sense when people question a $70 CAD gap for a slight performance gain. Also, Vulkan and DirectX 12 show the RX 480 comfortably beating the GTX 1060.

$259.99 Radeon RX 480 4GB - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131693

$324.99 GeForce GTX 1060 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125879

He's in canada, there are no cheap 480s, but there are cheap 1060s

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Laputacake said:

960 in DX11 wins, 480 in vulkan and dx12 wins. 

Actually no, it just doesn't win by as much in dx12 or vulcan but the 1060 is still better currently except in hitman

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The cheapest RX 480 costs $259.99. The cheapest GTX 1060 I've found costs $324.99. All in Canadian prices.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

I think that's the source of my confusion right there.

Okay, so AMD has an offering at the $260 pricepoint - fair enough, I wasn't aware that the 4GB version was that much cheaper.

CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz RAM: 128GB Corsair @ 2666MHz Motherboard: Asus Z390 Prime P Graphics Card: EVGA 2060 OS Drive: 1TB NVME Other drives:860 Evo 1TB, Crucial BX500 500GB x 2, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

Just now, AresKrieger said:

The 1060 will still win in performance since thermals aren't an issue for it as far as I can tell, and what's going on is that card is above msrp more % wise than the 1060 in this case

Nvidia does fine in vulkan, you don't seem to understand that amd doesn't own vulkan or that optimization is a thing both companies have been forced to do before

It's based of AMD's Mantle,AMD gave Mantle to Khronos to create a API thats great,they don't own it but have a great impact on it,they are the Contributions by giving Mantle and money to Khronos for Vulkan,they have a great share and impact along with Valve

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

It's based of AMD's Mantle,AMD gave Mantle to Khronos to create a API thats great,they don't own it but have a great impact on it,they are the Contributions by giving Mantle and money to Khronos for Vulkan,they have a great share and impact along with Valve

Yes, and Nvidia also donated to the Vulkan project so clearly they aren't worried about it, my point was that it isn't going to be as big a problem as you made it out to be, nvidia has always been better at software optimization than amd since they can pour so much more money into it, so they will improve Vulkan performance in due time. 

11 minutes ago, Dresta said:

The only reason people are making a big deal about Vulkan is the increase in performance AMD got, not any comparison between AMD and Nvidia. AMD only gained so much because it was doing so poorly before the Vulkan update. The 980ti and Fury X get the same fps when you compare the Fury X to a reference 980ti, get an open cooler 980ti and it still smokes the Fury X in the Vulkan build of Doom when Async is enabled.

You're confusing gains with fps between cards. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yes, and Nvidia also donated to the Vulkan project so clearly they aren't worried about it, my point was that it isn't going to be as big a problem as you made it out to be, nvidia has always been better at software optimization than amd since they can pour so much more money into it, so they will improve Vulkan performance in due time. 

Source to Nvidia donating?

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

The only reason people are making a big deal about Vulkan is the increase in performance AMD got, not any comparison between AMD and Nvidia. AMD only gained so much because it was doing so poorly before the Vulkan update. The 980ti and get the same fps when you compare the Fury X to a reference 980ti, get an open cooler 980ti and it still smokes the Fury X in the Vulkan build of Doom when Async is enabled.

1.jpg

My Motivation

All I know is, the RX 480 scales better with OC than the 1060. a 480 @1350 is faster than a 1060 @2025 in firestrike. 

2 minutes ago, Dresta said:

Source to Nvidia donating?

1.jpg

Wow, shouldn't pull things like that out of your butt. Might stay that way. Here you can see the setting and fps. Reference to reference. My 980ti at 1445MHz destroys the Fury X

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Wow, shouldn't pull things like that out of your butt. Might stay that way. Here you can see the setting and fps. Reference to reference. My 980ti at 1445MHz destroys the Fury X

"destroys" lol they were the same,your talking like the Fury X does not have a overclocking capability

My Motivation

Just now, Dresta said:

"destroys" lol they were the same,your talking like the Fury X does not have a overclocking capability

23 minutes ago, Dresta said:

At the moment maybe, but we all know drivers ;)

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

The only reason people are making a big deal about Vulkan is the increase in performance AMD got, not any comparison between AMD and Nvidia. AMD only gained so much because it was doing so poorly before the Vulkan update. The 980ti and Fury X get the same fps when you compare the Fury X to a reference 980ti, get an open cooler 980ti and it still smokes the Fury X in the Vulkan build of Doom when Async is enabled.

Basically AMD GPU's suck in DX11 and OpenGL...

@Dresta be honest... is being an obvious fanboy really that rewarding?

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

Just now, Tech Inquisition said:

AMD wasn't on the same version of OpenGL, and their driver support was focused on the Vulkan build they knew was coming. Another words AMD sandbagged Doom. And it was brilliant because it worked. AMD fans are not upset they spent months suffering from poor performance, they're cheering.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

AMD wasn't on the same version of OpenGL, and their driver support was focused on the Vulkan build they knew was coming. Another words AMD sandbagged Doom.

And people complain that Nvidia gimps performance... ;)

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

5 minutes ago, Tech Inquisition said:

Im just saying that AMD will win with Vulkan when it becomes a standard...you say it like drivers from Nvidia will make it run %50 faster,what about drivers from AMD? AMD will not just lay on there ass and let Nvidia win anymore

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

AMD wasn't on the same version of OpenGL, and their driver support was focused on the Vulkan build they knew was coming. Another words AMD sandbagged Doom. And it was brilliant because it worked. AMD fans are not upset they spent months suffering from poor performance, they're cheering.

And Nvidia fans suffered after Kepler did not receive a single frame from drivers and was dropped 

My Motivation

2 minutes ago, Dresta said:

Im just saying that AMD will win with Vulkan when it becomes a standard...you say it like drivers from Nvidia will make it run %50 faster,what about drivers from AMD? AMD will not just lay on there ass and let Nvidia win anymore

And Nvidia fans suffered after Kepler did not receive a single frame from drivers and was dropped 

Nvidia doesn't need to improve 50%, they beat AMD with the improvements they received.

WAIT FOR CUSTOM RX 480's.

The reference ones are not that good.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz