Intel i5 6500: RX480 or 1060

Jvill40

Hey, as the title suggests I need some help deciding which graphics card to purchase for my first build. I've held off purchasing a card after I built the rest of my PC because I was waiting for the RX480 to come out. Then it was suggested to me to wait until the aftermarket cards come out to fix any bugs with the card. Now the 1060 has come out so I'm not sure which card is "best" for me. I'm probably only going to be able to handle 1080p gaming, playing games like Far Cry Primal (which I've been playing with integrated graphics) and Fallout 4 (which is collecting dust in my steam library). Which card would you suggest? If you have any questions about the other components in my build let me know. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!!

they cost very different

you're choosing between money and performance

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Well imo it depends for how much you can get one.

If you live in europe and you want a card right now, get a 1060 with a custom cooler.

They are probably in stock and because rx 480 pricing is stupidly high and lacking aib cards, nvidia is atm the better option.

At least where i live the rx 480 and 1060 with custom cooler costs exactly the same.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

RX 480 GTX Thermigrile.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

Okay in that case say I want to spend a max of $300 (would prefer to only spend $250) and I want the maximum performance for that price range. 

Just now, Tom Hanks said:

RX 480 GTX Thermigrile.

I see you've changed your stance

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

I see you've changed your stance

Based on EU prices yes, if i lived in USA which is the entire earth, then it may change.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

As for your requirement both cards are capable of giving constant 60+ fps at 1080P high/ultra settings. So all comes down to the price and personal preferences.  

1 minute ago, Jvill40 said:

I'm in the US

Should be able to grab a GTX 1060 for roughly $250 then. Performs better for the games you've mentioned before.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

@Kopil Goyary

personal prefence meaning whether I prefer AMD or NVIDIA? I haven't owned a card from either company before so I don't have a prefence 

You can get a 480 8Gb ref for 220 from Ireland. If you're in the uk shipping maybe reasonable

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, Jvill40 said:

@Kopil Goyary

personal prefence meaning whether I prefer AMD or NVIDIA? I haven't owned a card from either company before so I don't have a prefence 

Well my friend time to join a team lol xD 
Just kidding, both cards performs well and both have their own reasons to buy, but in terms of efficiency and the in game application such as Ansel(if you are into capturing some best in-game moments)  go for nvidia.

Amd does feature cool tech but I personally like nvidia's more.(That's my personal preference)  

11 hours ago, Kopil Goyary said:

Well my friend time to join a team lol xD 
Just kidding, both cards performs well and both have their own reasons to buy, but in terms of efficiency and the in game application such as Ansel(if you are into capturing some best in-game moments)  go for nvidia.

Amd does feature cool tech but I personally like nvidia's more.(That's my personal preference)  

Promoting fanboyism, wow. 

Choose a card that has the best price to performance within the budget you can allot. Do not pick sides, go with the best card. 

Just now, Matu20 said:

Promoting fanboyism, wow. 

Choose a card that has the best price to performance within the budget you can allot. Do not pick sides, go with the best card. 

Yeah! that's what I said, and as for the price of the gpu, different places have different prices.

$350 for 1060 and $410 for Rx480 in India. 

4 hours ago, Kopil Goyary said:

As for your requirement both cards are capable of giving constant 60+ fps at 1080P high/ultra settings. So all comes down to the price and personal preferences.  

13 hours ago, DXMember said:

they cost very different

you're choosing between money and performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150770&cm_re=rx_480-_-14-150-770-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487260&ignorebbr=1

Tell me more about how you're wrong xD 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

59 minutes ago, App4that said:

Comparing the most expensive 480 and the cheapest 1060, seems legit, gtfo.

If anyone asks you never saw me.