Have i wasted money?

Listed on Toms Hardware today was another report suggesting/confirming (Unsure?) that next gen PC development titles will be utlisng 8 cores or STRONG Quad Cores.

The article in suggestion is here:http://www.tomshardware.com/news/watch-dogs-64-bit-system-specs-nvidia-amd,24536.html

My fear is that at the start of the year i owned a 8350 and the thing was a nightmare in my dorm, Had a CM Scout 2 with 9 fans and no Fan controller running at noise levels like a Vacuum cleaner on acid.

To add to that the temperature on the 8350 was crazy hot (60 degrees+) but however as i went about slapping an aftermarket cooler on it, it just flushed the heat into my room making matters not much better overall.

To cut a whiney story short i have since jumped over to a Haswell 4670 (non-k) thinking it might be my best shot for gaming but after seeing AMD's conference and all the reports coming through on 8 cores FINALLY being used....Should i feel wronged for having switched? Intel are amazing chip makers and all but i can't help but feel completely subjective in thinking i might have made a huge mistake.

Can anyone confirm whether i should stick with my 4670/GTX 760 build?

Or should i start bleeding my system out now and jump back over to 8350 again with some improvements? Or will i be okay with what i have? (I am thinking maybe picking up a 8320 this week?) The upside is that if i do switch back i can make some profits back my way, the downside is that i might re-do my whole build.

And if this helps clarifing, I mostly and mainly utlise my PC for these things: HTPC (Watching TV series/Movies), Doing University Paperwork (Word/Excel/Powerpoint etc etc) and Gaming (In this instance i don't like settling so i either find myself aiming for high end single card solutions but i am keen on getting into overclocking more and CFX/SLi stuff)

I actually enjoy building PCs more now for knowledge rather than actually using them (Lol) but if anyone can actually suggest or advise me on my next course of action i am totally open.

Lastly: I'm from New Zealand so 4770s 3930x's and all that high end stuff is pointless to me.

Only the two options are my viable options.

SNIP

Stay with what you have now. It's not like quad cores are going to become shit. They, and you, will be just fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The 4670 is a strong quad core in my mind. weak would be like the cheapest Sandy i5. Wait and see then decide if you want to upgrade.

I doubt there would be any noticeable performance difference even in games that can use 8 cores and most still won't even with the new consoles.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Intel is still better in other things and gaming is mostly gpu bound anyways so stick with the i5

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

While we are moving towards multi-threaded programs excelling on 8-core systems, those programs are pertained to stuff like video editing and encoding, VFXs, 3D Modelling etc. Since you only mention Microsoft Office programs, switching back to the 8350 is a waste of time and you'll have that heat issue again. 

While we are moving towards multi-threaded programs excelling on 8-core systems, those programs are pertained to stuff like video editing and encoding, VFXs, 3D Modelling etc. Since you only mention Microsoft Office programs, switching back to the 8350 is a waste of time and you'll have that heat issue again. 

While i agree for the most part. The biggest issue i tremor with is that the future of multi-threading in games is revving up.

In contrast to now where GPu Bottlenecks are the biggest issue in games right now (I've gotten so snarky i can barely play games without nothing less than ultimate etc etc with AA Off), the future is suggesting more and more tasks being offloaded. In this case will there be a trend where such tasks in games will be the bottleneck will become more or less apparent? And if this is so...will this mean switching back may potentially benefit me?

For anyone else still here, i am currently sitting in an ITX config that sorta works for me (Small, transportable to university cheekily) and switching to a Laptop may benefit me in the near future. Although not so much a big issue i face two paths (Stay put or go all in). I'm curious and would like to do both but i'm not rich so sadface.

With that in mind, a 4670k weighs up against a 3770k, so would this mean that my 4670 would be okay next to a 3770? I'm guessing the only difference is that Hyperthreading (But not much benefit). My curiousity comes from the fact that the recommended specs for Watch_Dogs rest at 3770 or a 8350 for recommended. Ultra is just not gonna happen for me but Recommended is something i would like to know where i sit in.

Cheers in advance for any help given and sorry for typing heaps of content, i'm genuinely enthralled with what everyone in the PC industry is upto right now. Obsessionist here for sure.

i have a 8350 too with stock cooler it used to reach 80/85 C 

just changed cooler max temp is 61 C now with prime 95 ...

so i don't think it heat' s that much i  think its just that it's cooler sucks ass  

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Amd with any of their procs cant fight them selfs out of a paper bag. You made a good choice, they could have 30 cores and still sux. Enjoy beating amd with less cores for now, Intel will release new procs when it is deemed relevant. 

While i agree for the most part. The biggest issue i tremor with is that the future of multi-threading in games is revving up.

In contrast to now where GPu Bottlenecks are the biggest issue in games right now (I've gotten so snarky i can barely play games without nothing less than ultimate etc etc with AA Off), the future is suggesting more and more tasks being offloaded. In this case will there be a trend where such tasks in games will be the bottleneck will become more or less apparent? And if this is so...will this mean switching back may potentially benefit me?

For anyone else still here, i am currently sitting in an ITX config that sorta works for me (Small, transportable to university cheekily) and switching to a Laptop may benefit me in the near future. Although not so much a big issue i face two paths (Stay put or go all in). I'm curious and would like to do both but i'm not rich so sadface.

With that in mind, a 4670k weighs up against a 3770k, so would this mean that my 4670 would be okay next to a 3770? I'm guessing the only difference is that Hyperthreading (But not much benefit). My curiousity comes from the fact that the recommended specs for Watch_Dogs rest at 3770 or a 8350 for recommended. Ultra is just not gonna happen for me but Recommended is something i would like to know where i sit in.

Cheers in advance for any help given and sorry for typing heaps of content, i'm genuinely enthralled with what everyone in the PC industry is upto right now. Obsessionist here for sure.

We are only moving as fast as the developers of such games want to. Remember, most game developers are making games for Xbox and PS as well and while XBO and PS4 are both using 8-core, I doubt the architecture is anything revolutionary, at least against what Intel has on the table already.

i have a 8350 too with stock cooler it used to reach 80/85 C 

just changed cooler max temp is 61 C now with prime 95 ...

so i don't think it heat' s that much i  think its just that it's cooler sucks ass  

The problem in the OP is the amount of heat being expelled into the room. 

The problem in the OP is the amount of heat being expelled into the room. 

ah k 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

If you are upgrading from a 4670K you should just buy an AMD 16 core Abu Dhabi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113320

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

You shouldn't have jumped ship, you should've worked on the real issue of noise, I have an FX 8320 system overclocked to 4.44Ghz and it's absolutely silent & runs very cool.
It's not the fault of the chip.
In any case, what was done was done, you should focus on making the best use of what you already have, do not waste any more money.

Amd with any of their procs cant fight them selfs out of a paper bag. You made a good choice, they could have 30 cores and still sux. Enjoy beating amd with less cores for now, Intel will release new procs when it is deemed relevant. 

I smell a fanboy.

AMD FX 6300 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ | HITACHI ULTRASTAR 1TB 7200RPM HDD | XFX RADEON HD 7950 3GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 MUSHKIN BLACKLINE | OCZ ZT 550W 80+ BRONZE PSU | ZALMAN Z5 PLUS CASE | LITE-ON iHDS118-04 DVD/CD DRIVE | BENQ GW2255 21.5" MONITOR

I smell a fanboy.

pfff I was with amd from 2002 to 2010, I bought a 990-FX mobo  and took a chance on bulldozer before it was even released. You cant fanboy anything when some one gave them  a good chance only to be let down over and over again. Besides the only reason their is this "Fan Boy Trend" that's been around since the beginning of time is because most people cant afford or justify the price of hi end components. IF you could buy the best and afford the best, the question is why in the world would you choose amd?  

pfff I was with amd from 2002 to 2010, I bought a 990-FX mobo  and took a chance on bulldozer before it was even released. You cant fanboy anything when some one gave them  a good chance only to be let down over and over again.

You left just before things got interesting because the Bullzdozer and Piledriver core parking hot fix was released that gave them a 10-15% increase in performance and with developers (such as myself) creating games that utilise the 8 cores the peformance gains for everyone are going to be tremendous but mostly so for the Intel-e users and the 8 core AMD users.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

You left just before things got interesting because the Bullzdozer and Piledriver core parking hot fix was released that gave them a 10-15% increase in performance and with developers (such as myself) creating games that utilise the 8 cores the peformance gains for everyone are going to be tremendous but mostly so for the Intel-e users and the 8 core AMD users.

Last amd proc I had was the 8120  it barely  beat my old 945 lol.

Last amd proc I had was the 8120  it barely  beat my old 945 lol.

Single core ? Of course AMD don't care about IPC, they are on the movement towards Parallelism but there have been 15% performance increases across the board since Bulldozer's launch and then another 15% from Bulldozer to Piledriver - I will agree with you that Phenom -> Bulldozer was not a very big improvement but that was mostly down to programmer laziness and not wanting to parallelise because as a developer I can tell you right now, it is a bitch but there are performance gains of great magnitudes for the outcome - the reason developers are doing it now is because they NEED to because the APUs they received from AMD run at fairly low Hertz and because it's an x86 platform we PC gamers get a direct performance increase as a result , so AMDs monopolisation of the console market is good for gamers in every possible way.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Single core ? Of course AMD don't care about IPC, they are on the movement towards Parallelism but there have been 15% performance increases across the board since Bulldozer's launch and then another 15% from Bulldozer to Piledriver - I will agree with you that Phenom -> Bulldozer was not a very big improvement but that was mostly down to programmer laziness and not wanting to parallelise because as a developer I can tell you right now, it is a bitch but there are performance gains of great magnitudes for the outcome - the reason developers are doing it now is because they NEED to because the APUs they received from AMD run at fairly low Hertz and because it's an x86 platform we PC gamers get a direct performance increase as a result , so AMDs monopolisation of the console market is good for gamers in every possible way.

If only intel had a gpu like the apu's lol

If only intel had a gpu like the apu's lol

If Intel were that high up in the GPU market I'd be afraid, very afraid xD well more like my wallet would be.

If Intel were that high up in the GPU market I'd be afraid, very afraid xD well more like my wallet would be.

hahaha yeeeee

I was going to say something wise, but I like your SAO pic. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes it, feels like that sometimes.

AMD FX 6300 | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ | HITACHI ULTRASTAR 1TB 7200RPM HDD | XFX RADEON HD 7950 3GB | 8GB DDR3-1600 MUSHKIN BLACKLINE | OCZ ZT 550W 80+ BRONZE PSU | ZALMAN Z5 PLUS CASE | LITE-ON iHDS118-04 DVD/CD DRIVE | BENQ GW2255 21.5" MONITOR