Is it even a mildy good dea to do this?

HK_Rage

Since many games are going to start optimizing for certain brands, BF4 for AMD, Watchdogs for Nvidia. So my question is how good/bad of an idea is it to keep switching between an AMD GPU for BF4 & a GTX Card for Watchdogs?

mindblown

Edited by airdeano
Language

Um. you want to change your GPU every time you want to play a different game?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Um. you want to change your GPU every time you want to play a different game?

Thats basically the idea of I can find a nice Nvidia Card for under 250.

Thats basically the idea of I can find a nice Nvidia Card for under 250.

Don't.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Since many games are going to start optimizing for certain brands, BF4 for AMD, Watchdogs for Nvidia. So my question is how good/bad of an idea is it to keep switching between an AMD GPU for BF4 & a GTX Card for Watchdogs?

so how much do you think you are giving up between the two camps on these

certain games? 20-30fps? then it'd be a concern, would swapping back and forth

be worth the extra cash, driver issues and possible damage to the card and mobo

be worth it? prolly not.

But could this cause any damage of some sort? Also is there a way to have both put into the motherboard and you could just go in the BIOS to disable one of them/make the other one a primary?

Just get one good gpu and you will be just fine!! :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

But could this cause any damage of some sort? Also is there a way to have both put into the motherboard and you could just go in the BIOS to disable one of them/make the other one a primary?

so far there is no "switching" in the BIOS for such to handle dual non-matching GPU

cards. it'd be a mechanical (Rampage/Maximus) lane switch. teaming dual cards on

lesser boards results in 8x PCIe lanes, so more money on a more expensive board.

might just have to open the budget up on the GPU and capture the better fps or

experience.

You would probably gain just as much from having a single higher end card then having the optimizations from two lower cards. Add in the inconvenience and reliability issues, and I just don't see the point.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Yeah... Literally the only reason I can see why I a person would do this would be if they had all the money in the world to blow on an LGA 2011 setup with a 4960X and a GTX Titan + R9-whateverthebestoneis, and then switch between the two as and when just to get every ounce of optimization out of it.

And even then it's kinda stupid.

Yeah... Literally the only reason I can see why I a person would do this would be if they had all the money in the world to blow on an LGA 2011 setup with a 4960X and a GTX Titan + R9-whateverthebestoneis, and then switch between the two as and when just to get every ounce of optimization out of it.

And even then it's kinda stupid.

I don't even think it is worth it in single card, running two Titans in SLI/two R9-290X would give better performance. I only see this being an issue in those ridiculous price-no-object 4 way SLI/Crossfire builds, where you are literally maxed on a platform. At which point you would have spent something like $15000 to $20000 on the whole setup(with appropriately high end monitors and WC to match), that you might as well fork out the extra few grand for two whole computers, and switch between them as necessary to save yourself inconvenience of shutdown and swap cards.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

I think it's better to buy a $600 NVidia or AMD card rather than 1 $300 NVidia and 1 $300 AMD card, it is obvious it will perform better.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

it's a lot of hard work but if you want to then fuck it do it

Manners Maketh Man

Don't even think about doing that... What a waste of money... Buy whatever you want the most and stay with that.

Have fun with a finicky system with unstable as all hell drivers. :ph34r: