I want 1440p (60 fps or more)

kuzog

Hello Everyone,

I'm seeing a lot of reviews for 1080s and 1070s and what i want to do is build a pc that can play 1440p at (60 fps or more)

Can someone guide me to see what would be an adequate build for this goal? Below is what my baby currently has.

Processor:Intel Core i5-4690K, 4000 MHz (OC)

Cooler for Processor: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 * 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

PSU: Cosair CX series CX600 600W 80 Plus Bronze

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 4gb Windforce 3X OC Edition

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 

Storage: I got a samsung SSD for boot up and WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM hardrive

I'm sure i'll have to upgrade a couple of things here so just let me know what I should change.

I really appreciate any good suggestions.

Thank you!!!!

If you want 4K 60fps with high settings get ready to fork over about $1200+

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you want 4K 60fps with high settings get ready to fork over about $1200+

That's fine by me really. I can start raising to reach that goal lol. 

4K gaming comes at a high premium. For a constant 60FPS at maxed out settings, you'll need SLI'd 1080s.

If you ask me, it's not worth it.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

4K gaming comes at a high premium. For a constant 60FPS at maxed out settings, you'll need SLI'd 1080.

I agree, the AMD equivalent of a 1080 is not only worse but just as costly, its not worth it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I agree, the AMD equivalent of a 1080 is not only worse but just as costly, its not worth it. 

The thing is that the AMD equivalent of the GTX 1080 doesn't exist... yet :P 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

4K gaming comes at a high premium. For a constant 60FPS at maxed out settings, you'll need SLI'd 1080s.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So if this is the case I would like to aim for 1440p . I'll change my post to take out the 4k. 

1 minute ago, kuzog said:

So if this is the case I would like to aim for 1440p . I'll change my post to take out the 4k. 

The GTX 1070 should handle 1440p maxed out at a constant 60FPS, even in the most demanding titles such as the Witcher 3. I'd be looking to upgrade your power supply since the quality is quite lacklustre and not that suitable for a GTX 1070. I'd also put in another 8GB of RAM for a total of 16GB. Otherwise, the rest of your current build looks fine.

Spoiler

Please consider a better PSU. The Corsair CX series have some serious issues. The CXM are better, but I'm partial to the Seasonic S12II and M12II in that price range.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The GTX 1070 should handle 1440p maxed out at a constant 60FPS, even in the most demanding titles such as the Witcher 3. I'd be looking to upgrade your power supply since the quality is quite lacklustre and not that suitable for a GTX 1070. I'd also put in another 8GB of RAM for a total of 16GB. Otherwise, the rest of your current build looks fine.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Please consider a better PSU. The Corsair CX series have some serious issues. The CXM are better, but I'm partial to the Seasonic S12II and M12II in that price range.

I'll get a better PSU then :) . And i'll add another 8GB RAM on my baby. If it's a gtx 1070 that i need, which one would be the best? 

Also, i just want to make sure that my processor is okay because i wouldn't wish it to bottle neck an upgraded graphics card?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm not much experience and i want to make sure i got everythihng correct before upgrading.

3 hours ago, kuzog said:

I'll get a better PSU then :) . And i'll add another 8GB RAM on my baby. If it's a gtx 1070 that i need, which one would be the best? 

Also, i just want to make sure that my processor is okay because i wouldn't wish it to bottle neck an upgraded graphics card?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm not much experience and i want to make sure i got everythihng correct before upgrading.

Yes your processor if more than enough for even 1080. Also upgrading your PSU and adding some RAM are also both solid plans. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

6 minutes ago, kuzog said:

The CPU is fine. As for which GTX 1070 is best, take a look at EVGA's.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

The CPU is fine. As for which GTX 1070 is best, take a look at EVGA's.

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

6 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

Yes your processor if more than enough for even 1080. Also upgrading your PSU and adding some RAM are also both solid plans. 

Perfect guys. I'll go check on the EVGA one. I have one last question and it's about the monitor. What do you guys think is the best 1440p monitor?

6 minutes ago, kuzog said:

Perfect guys. I'll go check on the EVGA one. I have one last question and it's about the monitor. What do you guys think is the best 1440p monitor?

Best 1440p monitor? The Acer XB271HU. But that costs $750.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Best 1440p monitor? The Acer XB271HU. But that costs $750.

Do you think it's really worth it or is there another monitor that is good and not that expensive?

16 minutes ago, kuzog said:

Do you think it's really worth it or is there another monitor that is good and not that expensive?

There's the XB270HU which is $690. In my eyes, it's worth it.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

There's the XB270HU which is $690. In my eyes, it's worth it.

There's a 4K Monitor (ASUS PB287Q) . Wouldn't it be better just to get that? I know i won't have good frames playing games on 4k but I can lower the resolution of the games to 1440p and at least i have it for future purposes and can watch netflix shows on 4K.

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

LOL AMD does not have a Vega card out yet and if you look at the R9 2xx and R9 3xx, they were cheaper and had the same performance or the same price and a bit more performance, so I would advice that you stop talking about something you clearly have no idea about.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I see you are a seer as we have no idea what the RX Fury is
crystalball.jpg

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 hours ago, kuzog said:

There's a 4K Monitor (ASUS PB287Q) . Wouldn't it be better just to get that? I know i won't have good frames playing games on 4k but I can lower the resolution of the games to 1440p and at least i have it for future purposes and can watch netflix shows on 4K.

That's doable. Although I'd get an IPS monitor such as the LG 27MC67-B. You'll also be losing the higher refresh rate and G-Sync.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

That's doable. Although I'd get an IPS monitor such as the LG 27MC67-B. You'll also be losing the higher refresh rate and G-Sync.

After much thought I'll go ahead with the   Acer XB271H. . 4K will have to wait a couple of years. Thanks man. Truly appreciate the help

4 minutes ago, johngo90 said:

Good choice to go with 1440p :)

Yeah lol. It's time to upgrade from 1080p to 1440p

this is my new pc build im getting NOT for 4K gaming but for the sweet spot @ 1440p

cpu info:

i7 5820k below only have 4c. w/28 lane which mean if u sli 1st gtx is @ 16x & 2n gtx is 8x ONLY or any add on pci-e will run only @ 8x 

i7 5930k above have 6c w/40 lane which mean u will have both gtx running @ 16x and any pci-e add on wiill run @ 8x

some games r heavy cpu intense so more cores is better and 16/32gb mem. is the sweet spot right now.

vga info:

gtx1080 & SLI = unless u gonna be playing alot of VR games & 4k NOT WORTH THE $700+ PRICE 

2x gtx 980ti is good enough for 1440p gaming w/ Acer XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 165Hz Monitor  its the sweet spot for almost any game 

PSU:

ex: if u have a mercedes amg u NOT gona put some shitty batter in ur car and find out that its not compliant and see all sort of lighting on ur dashboard lit up like a christmas tree =)

800w psu is recommend that is why i went with titanium instead of platinium psu u get my point ( tit psu is a little overkill but in long run no headache im not saying plat. psu is bad just my preference. =).

here is my next pc build thx to pcpartpicker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBT9JV

if pricing is not the problem u can pick diff. stuff then ....