Help! How can i seperate Internet Connection

MitZ

How Can i Seperate my connection away from lagging? Because my Whole Family are using Youtube and it makes my Game Lag, When i play on Sea Server Games i have 50 Ping or lower(Only me connected), if they are connected, my ping goes up to 200+, How do i Fix this? is there a way?

What Internet Cafe's do to avoid Lag in one Wifi? Is there an item i can buy to solve this? 

Use Ethernet. Simple as that. Ethernet is a more direct connection and it'll always beat Wi-Fi to the punch.

You could also browse the router settings for QoS (Quality of service). Enable it for you and disable it for everyone else. It ensures your machine has the best connection possible at the cost of everyone else. Depending on the OSs the machines have, the Ethernet settings on each computer can also have the setting available. Again, on for you and off for the rest. You may need to set static IP addresses to be able to toggle QoS but it's entirely possible that you may not. It depends on whether your router uses the MAC addresses or the IP addresses to tell the machines apart. QoS isn't 100% foolproof. It's only meant to guarantee connection. A lot of routers do go the extra mile to keep ping low but there's only so much to be done at your end. The ISP does most of the constrictions and short of getting a business connection or separate consumer connections, I can't see how you could overcome that.

Internet cafe's and other small businesses with multiple clients have simply beefy hardware and special deals with the ISPs. They have tech like multiple access points, MiMo, 5GHz 802.11ac, and so forth. Most often the best practice is to have separate hardware for different tasks to balance the load. Modem, firewall, RADIUS servers, VPN, routers, switches, accesspoints.

On 14-7-2016 at 10:49 AM, Naeaes said:

You may need to set static IP addresses to be able to toggle QoS but it's entirely possible that you may not. It depends on whether your router uses the MAC addresses or the IP addresses to tell the machines apart.

QoS classifies traffic and gives it priority based on that. QoS doesnt filter on IP address. And at what layer of the OSI model does a router operate again, a router "tells the machines apart" from ip address. 

Edit: its OSI and not IOS... silly me 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

2 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Use Ethernet. Simple as that. Ethernet is a more direct connection and it'll always beat Wi-Fi to the punch.

You could also browse the router settings for QoS (Quality of service). Enable it for you and disable it for everyone else. It ensures your machine has the best connection possible at the cost of everyone else. Depending on the OSs the machines have, the Ethernet settings on each computer can also have the setting available. Again, on for you and off for the rest. You may need to set static IP addresses to be able to toggle QoS but it's entirely possible that you may not. It depends on whether your router uses the MAC addresses or the IP addresses to tell the machines apart. QoS isn't 100% foolproof. It's only meant to guarantee connection. A lot of routers do go the extra mile to keep ping low but there's only so much to be done at your end. The ISP does most of the constrictions and short of getting a business connection or separate consumer connections, I can't see how you could overcome that.

Internet cafe's and other small businesses with multiple clients have simply beefy hardware and special deals with the ISPs. They have tech like multiple access points, MiMo, 5GHz 802.11ac, and so forth. Most often the best practice is to have separate hardware for different tasks to balance the load. Modem, firewall, RADIUS servers, VPN, routers, switches, accesspoints.

Just to clarify - I agree somewhat with the first and the last part.. 

Regarding the middle part, you really need to read up on QoS, routing and the OSI model before giving advice :)

Anyway - @OP you can use QoS to define how much bandwidth youtube can use, but that will affect all clients on the network, including you :) 

QoS / CoS works by the router looking at the DSCP in the ToS Byte of an IP packet and matching that to a QoS / CoS rule in the router.