My router changed its MAC address

suchamoneypit

Another day, yet another problem with my Netgear router.

A while back I changed my external IP to avoid a DDOS attack by making  my routers MAC address go off of my computers MAC address, assigning me a new external IP. Well, overnight, my router decided to revert back to my old external IP (shutting down my entire networks internet access and all my servers) and now regardless of what setting I choose for MAC address it sticks to the old IP, and when inputting my own static IP to what it was before, I can't get internet even with all fields inputted correctly. I've tried router and modem reboots.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Changed itself again, in middle of me in a game. Took my entire network offline as well as my server again. Modem has stopped assigning the IP based off the routers MAC address and is changing.

Going to contact Comcast customer support chat, when you pick your issue and fill out the info, and click submit, it errors saying "must enter address and zip code". There is no place to enter this information on the page, or even in your profile settings. 

so.frustrating.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Do you have a router/modem combo or do you have two different devices?

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Do you have a router/modem combo or do you have two different devices?

I have a modem and a separate router.

I've tried about every combination or changing settings, restarting router, restarting modem in all sorts of different orders. Wasted hours on this meanwhile my servers keep going offline.

Is your original IP under a DDOS attack or are you doing this just as a precaution? I would call Comcast either way and talk to somebody, their live chat probably won't be able to help you much (every time I use it they tell me to call in).

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Is your original IP under a DDOS attack or are you doing this just as a precaution? I would call Comcast either way and talk to somebody, their live chat probably won't be able to help you much (every time I use it they tell me to call in).

Originally I changed my IP from the original one I had for months because of a heavy sustained DDOS. Changing the IP had me fine for 2 months. The first switch this morning reverted back to my original IP that was being DDOS'd. I just got another new external I've never had before an hour ago, and it appears im already being DDOS'd. Whoever it is isn't that smart, using the same IP address so I can deal with it easily.

Weird, when I had Comcast the DHCP lease was only 7 days I think but you got the same IP after 2 months. When you called Comcast about the DDOS attack what did they say?

-KuJoe

8 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Weird, when I had Comcast the DHCP lease was only 7 days I think but you got the same IP after 2 months. When you called Comcast about the DDOS attack what did they say?

Haven't called yet. I need to wait until tomorrow because they won't give me any help unless its the main account holder talking, and im not. 

And yeah, I had the initial IP for well over 2 months, and the one I gave myself after the DDOSes lasted for several months until this morning. If the IP isn't taken, I believe your router asks for a renew to maintain the same IP.

EDIT: clarified some confusing wording (italicized)

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Haven't called yet. I need to wait until tomorrow because they won't give me any help unless its the main account holder talking, and im not. 

And yeah, I had the initial IP for well over 2 months, and the one I gave myself after the DDOSes for several months. If the IP isn't taken, I believe your router asks for a renew to maintain the same IP.

You haven't called them for a DDOS attack happening for over 2 months? Do that first before trying to troubleshoot the MAC address issue.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

You haven't called them for a DDOS attack happening for over 2 months? Do that first before trying to troubleshoot the MAC address issue.

Bad wording, I was DDOS'd for around three days on the initial IP I had (I fought it by monitoring and blocking the ports they used and watching their port scans, but got annoyed doing ti every day), which made me change my external IP address  by making its [my router]MAC off my gaming PC , and since comcast hands out your external IP based off your routers MAC address (which my router no longer responds to), I got it changed, which gave me a new external IP which I have been using for 2 months up until this morning with these random new external IPs started getting assigned (and also ignoring any MAC changes to my router; changing my router to be a static external IP to the old external IP that was working fine simply makes me lose internet and doesnt work)

17 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Bad wording, I was DDOS'd for around three days on the initial IP I had (I fought it by monitoring and blocking the ports they used and watching their port scans, but got annoyed doing ti every day), which made me change my external IP address  by making its [my router]MAC off my gaming PC , and since comcast hands out your external IP based off your routers MAC address (which my router no longer responds to), I got it changed, which gave me a new external IP which I have been using for 2 months up until this morning with these random new external IPs started getting assigned (and also ignoring any MAC changes to my router; changing my router to be a static external IP to the old external IP that was working fine simply makes me lose internet and doesnt work)

I don't have much to say about the rest of your issues, but I can say that statically assigning yourself a public IP address is never something you should do, even if it might work in some specific situations.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

18 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

You should have never changed the Modem MAC Address to begin with. That's a bandaid solution to a gunshot wound. You need to call Comcast (on the phone) and get them to assign a new IP Address to your Modem. I would ideally reset the MAC Address back to the original as well.

How and why are you getting DDOS'd? Are you running a game server or other web server? Is someone just doing this for fun or did you piss someone off?

In either case, if you're not the account holder, you need to get them to call ASAP. Force Comcast to give you a new IP - don't take no for an answer. If the person on the phone doesn't understand or won't change the IP, simply ask for their supervisor or a higher level tech. Keep pushing until you get an answer.

With that in mind, don't be a dick to the person on the phone. Be firm but polite. If you're nice to them, they are much more likely to help you out and go that extra mile.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You should have never changed the Modem MAC Address to begin with. That's a bandaid solution to a gunshot wound. You need to call Comcast (on the phone) and get them to assign a new IP Address to your Modem. I would ideally reset the MAC Address back to the original as well.

How and why are you getting DDOS'd? Are you running a game server or other web server? Is someone just doing this for fun or did you piss someone off?

In either case, if you're not the account holder, you need to get them to call ASAP. Force Comcast to give you a new IP - don't take no for an answer. If the person on the phone doesn't understand or won't change the IP, simply ask for their supervisor or a higher level tech. Keep pushing until you get an answer.

With that in mind, don't be a dick to the person on the phone. Be firm but polite. If you're nice to them, they are much more likely to help you out and go that extra mile.

I didn't change the Modem's MAC address, I changed my Router's MAC address. I'm pretty sure if the Modem's address changed I would need to call Comcast to reactivate it.

I have no Idea why I was getting DDOS'd. Pretty sure its just someone doing it for fun ( I haven't pissed anyone off).  At this point I have this new IP, I might as well keep it and hope it doesn't change again. I no longer on the IP constantly getting DDOS'd so its no longer a problem. Comcast can be frustrating, but Im a pretty laid back person even in frustration. I've had to work with the lower level people over problems before (because I got the phone because my parents don't know what they are talking about when they say "reset the modem") and once you get through their annoying troubleshooting steps you've already tried and get moved up to the higher level techs, they are great because they actually know what they are talking about and you can have a intelligible troubleshooting talk with them