How an ISP works

rufee

Hey guys, so a thought is stuck in my head on how ISP's really work and i want to find out with some details that wiki and google can't really tell me that easy.

Anyway maybe someone who works in an ISP or knows about this stuff could tell me how the peering works, how you acquire your own IP's (or how you did until they ran out), what protocols are used for all of the routing with providers, equipment etc... Well if its not hard the whole process :) Not knowing just really bugs me a lot so help me out here :D

Or could you point me where to read about it maybe.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

well from what i understand

u first pay them

and then they link up a tube to ur house

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

u first pay them

But where do they get the internet to link to your house from?  :wacko:

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

But where do they get the internet to link to your house from?  :wacko:

video

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

u first pay them

I know how that works and the rest, just not the other way (ISP side).

I know how that works and the rest, just not the other way (ISP side).

from what i understand its a series of tubes that that are connected to gateways that have long been established

then on the ISP side they get DNS servers etc 

im sure some one here can make more sense of it than i can

The Internet is not a single connection. It is something that consists of millions of connections.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I know the basic idea i just want to get technical details, series of tubes is not going to cut it for me.

IPs:

Acquiring IPs is probably one of the harder tasks unless you want to offer a completely IPv6 service (which would actually be kinda cool). You would approach an 'Internet Number Authority' such as ANIN and ask for some IPs. Obviously much harder for ISPs to enter the game now.

Peering:

You host some equipment in a peer exchange with the line guys. An ISP will order a product from the line guys ie. Bitstream2, Fibre, 30/10. They do the work to have equipment installed (if it isn't already) at the customer premise. You get given information on how to uniquely identify that customers, from there, it's up to the ISP as to how they service that customer (throttling, etc).

Protocols:

BGP is used with other peers. It announces where to find a set of IPs ie. ISP 'A' will anounce that 198.41.0.0/16 is located there and as it makes it's way through the internet, everyone will know where to find 198.41.188.5.

Equipment:

Again, up to the ISP. The smaller guys use SDN (such as OVS) as it's much cheaper, and you can do quite a lot with it.

Well that clarified it a bit, thanks :)

Anyway maybe someone who works in an ISP or knows about this stuff could tell me how the peering works

Well from what I know (don't work for an ISP) the peering is just a free-to-use connection between different ISPs, and like with all ISP-to-ISP connections it uses the BGP routing protocol.

how you acquire your own IP's (or how you did until they ran out)

You had to contact ICANN or an ISP and buy it from them. Usually it goes like this:

Tier 1 ISPs contact ICANN and buy big amounts of IPs.

Tier 2 ISPs contact a tier 1 ISP and buy IPs and connections to the backbone through the tier 1 ISP.

Tier 3 ISPs buys IPs and connections to the tier 2 networks.

what protocols are used for all of the routing with providers, equipment etc.

ISPs are very secret about what protocols they use internally. Externally they all use BGP between each other. Internally I *think* IS-IS is very popular, as well as OSPF.

From what I can tell (without working at an ISP) HP seems pretty popular among lots of ISPs. AT&T uses Cisco stuff.