Green screen of death in R9 285, Need help.

Ridska here,

Im having trouble after my friend inserted my HDMI cable to the inter IGPU, The PC started to recognize the internal GPU instead of the stand alone GPU, We plugged the HDMI back to the GPU and black screen.

At fist , me being the dumb ass i am , I thought that the GPU driver was at fault, So i downloaded DDU and nuked the driver and re installed the drivers*, Worked for a few seconds and flickered and black screen. So re nuked the GPU and re downloaded the drivers**, And now it works for a few seconds and then i get a green screen of death. 

I'm at a loss here, And iv tried everything that i know of. THe catalist software from AMD wont launch as well! .

*= Iv installed the driver by googling '' asus r9 285 drvier '' , and i was having the smae black screen issue.

**= Downloaded the driver via AMD's wedsite and clicked on the R9 200 drivers section with windows 10 64 bit.

Please help.

Thanks and stay chill.

(⌐■_■) 

16 minutes ago, Ridska said:

Ridska here,

Im having trouble after my friend inserted my HDMI cable to the inter IGPU, The PC started to recognize the internal GPU instead of the stand alone GPU, We plugged the HDMI back to the GPU and black screen.

At fist , me being the dumb ass i am , I thought that the GPU driver was at fault, So i downloaded DDU and nuked the driver and re installed the drivers*, Worked for a few seconds and flickered and black screen. So re nuked the GPU and re downloaded the drivers**, And now it works for a few seconds and then i get a green screen of death. 

I'm at a loss here, And iv tried everything that i know of. THe catalist software from AMD wont launch as well! .

*= Iv installed the driver by googling '' asus r9 285 drvier '' , and i was having the smae black screen issue.

**= Downloaded the driver via AMD's wedsite and clicked on the R9 200 drivers section with windows 10 64 bit.

Please help.

Thanks and stay chill.

Wow your friend is a idiot ;) , try taking the GPU out starting the PC with the iGPU , then shutting it off and just placing the GPU back inside

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

25 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Wow your friend is a idiot ;) , try taking the GPU out starting the PC with the iGPU , then shutting it off and just placing the GPU back inside

ok, im doing it right now, brb.

(⌐■_■) 

1 minute ago, Ridska said:

ok, im doing it right now, brb.

Ok hope it works!

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

22 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Ok hope it works!

I tried it and still nothing but the green screen of death.

Im at a loss here and really need some help.

(⌐■_■) 

1 minute ago, Ridska said:

I tried it and still nothing but the green screen of death.

Im at a loss here and really need some help.

What does it say is there like a error code?

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

What does it say is there like a error code?

Nope, turns on for a few minutes and then all of a sudden the entire screen turns green without response.

(⌐■_■) 

disable igpu in bios settings, see if that works

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

ok, Ill give that a shot, brb.

(⌐■_■) 

6 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Maybe its trying to recognize its like a APU and its crashing since its not compatible

52 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Cant acsess the bios for some reason. It crashes and re boots me to the starting screen.

(⌐■_■) 

So , Iv managed to access the bios some how in some way of a form, Tried to turn off the IGPU in bios and the bios didnt have that option. Now after countless loops of tuning on and off, Me dumb dumb decided to try the DDU one more time cuz '' durr 3rd times the charm '' So i launched it and then it recommended me to start in safe mode witch i did and the screen was black aaaaaand----

after that it didnt boot at all. Literally , So after tuning it on and off again, it didn not work, the fans kept spinning but no response from the monitor.

So me personnally , i have given up. I have 2 friends along with the and iv given them the job to trouble shoot the problem. I gave it to one of my PC friend and a gamer friend who doesnt know jack shit about PC and who was the one who started this mess that i call shit. First my Pc friend said that the mobo might have short circuited, So we lay it on the kitchen 

After me being in the shower and entertaining myself , They decided to tare down the PC from part to part, To see if the mobo is broken and luckly it wasnt broken.

So from the GPU to the internal sound card, everything was stipped and put back together but the heatsink, The heatsink is out and they tared it down , so for me to re install the heatsink i need thermal past for that job , witch btw i dont have. 

So at this point , my pc is fucked up thanks to a guy who is going to build a pc but doesnt know jack shit about pc building , much like a car racer who knows how to drive a car but doesnt know jack shit about building a car or let alone building one. 

P.s , Fuck this thing called life.

(⌐■_■) 

Ridska here,

( Im righting this like its a french novel made by a guy in Finland ) 

So , Iv managed to access the bios some how in some way of a form, Tried to turn off the IGPU in bios and the bios didnt have that option. Now after countless loops of tuning on and off, Me dumb dumb decided to try the DDU one more time cuz '' durr 3rd times the charm '' So i launched it and then it recommended me to start in safe mode witch i did and the screen was black aaaaaand----

after that it didnt boot at all. Literally , So after tuning it on and off again, it didn not work, the fans kept spinning but no response from the monitor.

So me personnally , i have given up. I have 2 friends along with the and iv given them the job to trouble shoot the problem. I gave it to one of my PC friend and a gamer friend who doesnt know jack shit about PC and who was the one who started this mess that i call shit. First my Pc friend said that the mobo might have short circuited, So we lay it on the kitchen 

After me being in the shower and entertaining myself , They decided to tare down the PC from part to part, To see if the mobo is broken and luckly it wasnt broken.

So from the GPU to the internal sound card, everything was stipped and put back together but the heatsink, The heatsink is out and they tared it down , so for me to re install the heatsink i need thermal past for that job , witch btw i dont have. 

So at this point , my pc is fucked up thanks to a guy who is going to build a pc but doesnt know jack shit about pc building , much like a car racer who knows how to drive a car but doesnt know jack shit about building a car or let alone building one. 

So now its 11.7.16 as i write this. I went to the local super market yesterday hoping that they would have thermal paste and n/a , non to be found. So my PC friend is letting me borrow his noctua thermal paste for my heatsink.

Right now my PC is at a disarray.  Parts are every where around the food table.

P.s , Fuck this thing called life.

(⌐■_■) 

On the plus you can totally just put the heat sink back on with what thermal paste was there unless they cleaned it off.  You can get thermal paste on amazon, I use MX-4.

So when you boot windows the screen just goes black? Have you tried reinstalling windows?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

i call dead gpu.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

14 minutes ago, another random person said:

i call dead gpu.

How come ?!?! 

My friends called the mobo is dead for a while.

(⌐■_■) 

>Ridska here,

Ok , so my PC is gotten to the  desperate point where i need some one who is a expert ( or anyone who can help me  out )  from this forum who lives in helsinki to help me out. Will drive up to them and meet them IF NECESSARY.

PM me for the details.

Edit: You must Speak fluent English...

(⌐■_■) 

3 hours ago, Ridska said:

How come ?!?! 

My friends called the mobo is dead for a while.

Because it starts, the fans spin but it doesn't display. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats