Enter the RX 480 AIB Cards

tsk
2 hours ago, Brinith said:

Ugh, its halfway through July and still not AIB cards, would have gotten one already. I am going to laugh when the 1060 AIBs come out sooner and steal all the potential buyers of the 480.

So much for the rumors of AMD having enough units to meet demand huh?

Not like Nvidia fares much better. All in all the same imho intentional BS with every launch: intentional low supply to Price gauge and generate false interest in the cards.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

@HalGameGuru this Msi pcb is that i´m talking about.

I think its easier to explain it with this picture in upfront.

You see on the right you have those 4 phases, those are for the gpu.

Those 2 phases on the left are for the memory VR.

You can also see it due the diffrence in inductors aswell.

The memory VR uses diffrent inductors.

Yeah, that's the picture I am going off of, you also have the added complexity of the ref VRAM phase that had been at the point where the 2 banks of VRAM converge vs now being opposite the GPU from them. but appearing to be of similarly robust components. My main contention is I doubt, I do not discount entirely, but I doubt they would completely remove the GPU from a power connection to the slot, even if only vestigial. But, that's personal, for them it may have been worth it to simply sever all ties to the slot and focus the slot on all non-GPU phases and set the GPU phases as close to the PCIe socket as possible. That would have been my mindset, even for the reference board.

30 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

My main contention is I doubt, I do not discount entirely, but I doubt they would completely remove the GPU from a power connection to the slot, even if only vestigial. But, that's personal,

Well the gpu doesnt have to be totaly exclude from slot power persee.

You see you have pwm with 4 phases for the gpu in this case.

those 4 phases are connected to 4 powerstages.

from the power stages it goes to the inductors, and from the inducters it goes all combined to the gpu ok?

With the output caps filtering out noise.

A powerstage contains a hi-side and a lo-side fet + driver in one package.

THe hi-side fets getting connected to a power source, either 6 /8 pin or pci-e slot.

And the lo-side fets are getting connected to gnd.

The pwm, controls the switching between every phase.

But without going to deeply into this.

It could be that 3 powerstages are fed by the 8 pin and 1 by the pci-e slot for example.

But it could also be, that Msi decided to fed all the 4 powerstages by the 8 pin directly.

I need to take a closer look to the pcb myself to confirm if they powered the chip by the 8 pin completely or not.

But its obvious that the 2 sepperate phases on the left are for the memory VR.

You cannot use diffrent components in the same cirquitry for a certain part.

The inductors on the left side are diffrent from those on the right

So its obviously a sepperate vrm cirquitry consisting of 2 phases.

So Asus just officially announced the RX 480 strix card, clocked at 1330MHz in OC mode. It will not be available til mid August.
The card will also be available in a version that has stock clocks.

14 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

So much for the rumors of AMD having enough units to meet demand huh?

Not like Nvidia fares much better. All in all the same imho intentional BS with every launch: intentional low supply to Price gauge and generate false interest in the cards.

Amd had enough supply, it's just AIB cards which are taking forever to come out. Amd can't do much about that

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Amd had enough supply, it's just AIB cards which are taking forever to come out. Amd can't do much about that

Don't you think it's safe to asume they're taking forever to come out because AMD didn't have adequate supply of chips? They made sure reference card were out but not in any good numbers, at least not internationally I can attest to that first hand.

They're just playing smoke and mirrors but are as bad in meeting demand right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Don't you think it's safe to asume they're taking forever to come out because AMD didn't have adequate supply of chips? They made sure reference card were out but not in any good numbers, at least not internationally I can attest to that first hand.

They're just playing smoke and mirrors but are as bad in meeting demand right now.

To me it's because they knew that if AIB cards would have gotten out at the same time,  nobody would have bought the reference card in the first place.

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

To me it's because they knew that if AIB cards would have gotten out at the same time,  nobody would have bought the reference card in the first place.

And how is that a bad thing for AMD? Or the  board manufacturers?

I can see the case for Nvidia this generation where they intentionally overpriced the FE cards so it's way more profitable for them to sell this models so they wanna keep em on the spotlight of availability as long as possible, everyone makes more money with the more expensive cards as soon as the lower priced cards hit the market people will get those: don't forget that just 5 years ago or so we used to have almost all junk blower coolers with much higher TDPs around so it doesn't really matters all that much for your average consumer to get a 1070 cheap blower card if it only runs at 150 watts or less.

AMD on the other hand prices the reference cooler at the same price as AIB cards. AMD still sells fucking chips with the AIB cards, manufacturers differentiate with their own designs so they're more than happy to come up with AIB designs instead quickly.

Henceforth AMD would want to sell more reference cards because.....reasons?

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

And how is that a bad thing for AMD? Or the  board manufacturers?

I can see the case for Nvidia this generation where they intentionally overpriced the FE cards so it's way more profitable for them to sell this models so they wanna keep em on the spotlight of availability as long as possible, everyone makes more money with the more expensive cards as soon as the lower priced cards hit the market people will get those: don't forget that just 5 years ago or so we used to have almost all junk blower coolers with much higher TDPs around so it doesn't really matters all that much for your average consumer to get a 1070 cheap blower card if it only runs at 150 watts or less.

AMD on the other hand prices the reference cooler at the same price as AIB cards. AMD still sells fucking chips with the AIB cards, manufacturers differentiate with their own designs so they're more than happy to come up with AIB designs instead quickly.

Henceforth AMD would want to sell more reference cards because.....reasons?

I don't know, we don't know the amount of money they touch for AIB cards and reference. Maybe they have better margins with reference ones.

53 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Holy shit the HIS one is ugly af.

I think it could actually look really nice if it didn't have those ugly ass transparent blue fans. They look completely out of place o.O

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

On 15/07/2016 at 1:23 PM, thekeemo said:

Gigabyte is still terrible for RMA

I just think sapphire is worse

Yea, same bad experiences... no sapphire for me!

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Holy shit the HIS one is ugly af.

Could be, but HiS cards are pretty good.

Looks like the Strix card will have two power connectors, either 8-pin + 6-pin or two 6-pin.
Added som new pictures of the XFX card to the original post.
Here's a close up of the power delivery on the XFX card.
XFX-Radeon-RX-480-DD-5_VC.jpg

WTF happened to HIS. 

They've gone wayyyy south since 6xxx series.

still can't decide between the sapphire and xfx cooler :D I kind of want the xfx as a tribute to my old xfx 8800ultra, but I feel like the sapphire has the superior cooling solution.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Pcper said that the strix card is gonna draw all the power from the pcie connectors which is somewhat of over kill but we'll see. It's said to release mid next month. Performance wise it's gonna be 15% above stock 480. Read more:

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Oh snap! This site claims the Powercolor Devil will have a base clock of 1336Mhz, and boost of 1.4Ghz!

https://benchlife.info/powercolor-rx480-devil-will-launch-in-taiwan-07172016/

PowerColor RX480 Devil adopt dual-slot design , the basic clock at 1,336MHz, can go after Turbo 1.4GHz

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

38 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Your link redirects to this page but the url is good.

Oh thanks, I fixed it. :)

Will these cost more than the reference 480's?

42 minutes ago, Tron707 said:

Undoubtedly they will, almost exclusively.  First step is to scratch off those that go out to lunch from your list, then consider from what remains.

8 hours ago, Tron707 said:

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Undoubtedly they will, almost exclusively.  First step is to scratch off those that go out to lunch from your list, then consider from what remains.

That depends on where you are.

With Overlockers.co.uk the Nitro and Devil cards are cheaper than the reference sapphire & asus cards, match price on some XfX and other reference cards.

At most overall in the UK the Nitro and Devil are £10-20 more expensive than some reference cards. So if the Devil is clocked with a boost of 1.4Ghz, I don't why the hell you'd touch a reference card that's either the same price or a smidge less.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-480