High end CPU with Low end GPU?

Is it safe to have a very powerful CPU like the I7 6700k running with a Low end gpu like the R7 260x?

Is it Safe? Well yea its not going to make your system explode. You will just have low gpu performance.

Someone told me it will bottleneck and ruin my system 

A bottleneck will ruin your system no more than it ruins my ability to enjoy cold beer from it.

4 minutes ago, Sarfaraz said:

"ruin" yeah as in - it is a waste of money and ruin your experience, but not actually damage anything

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

If you're into light gaming are a power user, this is actually quite a nice system. If you're more into gaming, I'd go with an i5 and spend the extra $100 on a nicer gpu

31 minutes ago, Sarfaraz said:

and you believed him because?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

36 minutes ago, Sarfaraz said:

With bottleneck he means the GPU will hinder the CPU performance. Lets say the CPU would be able to perform 100fps with the best GPU on the market. The 260X for example can only perform at 60fps, that means a whole 40fps was possible on the CPU, but not on the GPU. Causing a bottleneck at the GPU.

With 'ruin' he doesn't mean it will break it, he means that you are better off spending less on the CPU and more on the GPU (For example go for an i5 6600K and RX 480). 

This is of course assuming a gaming workload.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

38 minutes ago, Sarfaraz said:

A "bottleneck" is just a term for whatever limits your system's performance first in a task such as a game. There's always something that limits your performance: could be the CPU, video card, your framerate cap, etc. The concern of most people worried about "bottlenecks" is that they might be wasting money on a video card that could be artificially limited by a poor CPU—which itself is usually a misguided concern.

In games, it's extremely common for GPUs to be the first bottleneck in performance. That's actually ideal… if your CPU was the bottleneck, you usually can't improve performance by changing your video settings, since the video card is responsible for most of that work.

That being said, buying such a high-end CPU doesn't make a lot of sense in a gaming system unless you have a really large budget. You'd end up with a better experience by buying an i5-6600K and putting that extra money towards a better video card.

13 hours ago, typographie said:

A "bottleneck" is just a term for whatever limits your system's performance first in a task such as a game. There's always something that limits your performance: could be the CPU, video card, your framerate cap, etc. The concern of most people worried about "bottlenecks" is that they might be wasting money on a video card that could be artificially limited by a poor CPU—which itself is usually a misguided concern.

In games, it's extremely common for GPUs to be the first bottleneck in performance. That's actually ideal… if your CPU was the bottleneck, you usually can't improve performance by changing your video settings, since the video card is responsible for most of that work.

That being said, buying such a high-end CPU doesn't make a lot of sense in a gaming system unless you have a really large budget. You'd end up with a better experience by buying an i5-6600K and putting that extra money towards a better video card.

Yeah im going to be getting the a better GPU when the prices drop 

You could spend 1 Million dollars on PC components (if actually possible)

AND STILL BE BOTTLENECKED,.....

"The slowest link in the chain"

Buying the best of the best, hardware wise,.... your only as fast as your weakest part...

Then add Software issues on top (no 'consumer' software is perfect to use 100% of ALL your system for its uses)

But your Rig is fine, your CPU is NOT slower due to the GPU in any application, and your friend should have explained this too.

Overall system performance is still @ it's best with or without your GPU.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

14 hours ago, Sarfaraz said:

Is it safe to have a very powerful CPU like the I7 6700k running with a Low end gpu like the R7 260x?

The R7 260X is actually a waste of money considering how powerful the 6700K's iGPU is.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The R7 260X is actually a waste of money considering how powerful the 6700K's iGPU is.

lol I already have the card from my other build, its just temporary until I save up enough money for the GTX 1080 

2 hours ago, Sarfaraz said:

lol I already have the card from my other build, its just temporary until I save up enough money for the GTX 1080 

Ah, well its still kind of pointless. Now if it was the 4790K, then it would be worth using the R7 260X.

PMSL

21 hours ago, Sarfaraz said:

yes

also... you can use a "cheap" (4 cores) cpu (like a i5 or an apu A8) with a powerful gpu :)

10 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Ah, well its still kind of pointless. Now if it was the 4790K, then it would be worth using the R7 260X.

How is it pointless?

2 hours ago, Sarfaraz said:

How is it pointless?

Its not much stronger if at all than the 530 graphics. As it is the R7 260X can be paired with some APU in crossfire, and the A10 7850K gets rekt in games by the 530.

PMSL

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, RRareGamingOnYT said:

im running a gt1030 with an i9 9900kf 😂

the bottleneck will be high right?

image_2022-02-14_180949.png

image_2022-02-14_180953.png

CPU bottleneck = no (you will never have a bottleneck here)

GPU bottleneck = yes

but... a 1030 is a good gpu anyway

you can change it, if you need it

but no need if you are ok with your actual performance

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2022 at 2:05 AM, 7850OC said:

CPU bottleneck = no (you will never have a bottleneck here)

GPU bottleneck = yes

but... a 1030 is a good gpu anyway

you can change it, if you need it

but no need if you are ok with your actual performance

nah im totally fine with a gt1030

especially after i overclocked it a few weeks ago