Building a gaming server

I need help to build a server for gaming. To play minecraft for about 100-200 players. I would love to hear all type of suggestion including case, monitors... everything.

How good is your internet?

No point building a rig if your network could never support it.

2 minutes ago, boorjiusss said:

I need help to build a server for gaming. To play minecraft for about 100-200 players. I would love to hear all type of suggestion including case, monitors... everything.

You would be better off renting it from someone. You wouldn't have to bother with problems with your internet, technical problems, and overall watching over the physical computer the server is on.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

How good is your internet?

No point building a rig if your network could never support it.

300 mbps but I could fast it.

1 minute ago, boorjiusss said:

300 mbps but I could fast it.

300 mbps of what? Upload? Download? both? Don't bother just rent one from a 3rd party.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

2 minutes ago, NuroKnight said:

You would be better off renting it from someone. You wouldn't have to bother with problems with your internet, technical problems, and overall watching over the physical computer the server is on.

I would prefer to have it on my own.

1 minute ago, boorjiusss said:

I would prefer to have it on my own.

Preference is gonna lead to you having more problems in the long run. Running and maintaining a minecraft server is a very tiring and difficult. 

300 mbps of what? Upload? Download? both? Don't bother just rent one from a 3rd party.

Both. No I don't want to rent it.

2 minutes ago, boorjiusss said:

Both. No I don't want to rent it.

How much are you willing to spend on the server since you didn't specify that in the op.

Preference is gonna lead to you having more problems in the long run. Running and maintaining a minecraft server is a very tiring and difficult. 

I know that is tiring and sifficult, but I don't care. Please help me. Or I don't know if it would be for minecraft it migth be for a Unity game too

1 minute ago, NuroKnight said:

How much are you willing to spend on the server since you didn't specify that in the op.

I don't have any budget, so I don't care.

Processor = i5

Mobo = Any h or b mobo that has 8 RAM slot

RAM = 32-64gb

HDD = 2 1tb 7200 HDD in Raid 1

That should be a good guideline to follow if you want to host it yourself.

Notes:

1. Make sure you get a business internet plan so that your IP doesn't change

2. Make sure your upload speeds are fast enough to handle that many people

3. Make sure there is plenty of airflow and cooling for the Server

5. Run Linux (I use Ubuntu for my server)

4. I would just SSH into the terminal of the PC instead of using a monitor (I have it connected to a HDMI switch for one of my monitors)

If you want me to find specific parts, tell me your budget

4 minutes ago, boorjiusss said:

I don't have any budget, so I don't care.

That doesn't help, unless you want us to give you a $5000 build. But i assume that you mean that you will fund whatever is appropriate?

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Processor = i5

RAM = 32-64gb

Notes:

4. I would just SSH into the terminal of the PC instead of using a monitor (I have it connected to a HDMI switch for one of my monitors)

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

That doesn't help, unless you want us to give you a $5000 build. But i assume that you mean that you will fund whatever is appropriate?

Yep, that's what i mean

18 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Processor = i5

RAM = 32-64gb

Notes:

What is SSH?

My understanding is that Minecraft server does not do parallel processing very well (if at all). So having fewer high frequency cores is preferable over many low frequency cores. If you wish to build a 'proper' server I recommend the following builds.

Core i3 6320 3.9 GHz (supports ECC RAM)

Supermicro X11SSH-F server motherboard (intel nics, server chipset, ECC support etc) also features a M.2 slot off the PCI bus

Crucial 64 GB RAM (4x 16 GB 2133 ECC modules)

Any Supermicro case that is listed under the 'Optimized for' list here , PSU is usually included

For non budget build you could swap the i3 6320 for a quad core Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 3.6 GHz.

If you wish to host more than one Minecraft server with 100 - 200 clients then I can suggest a 2011-3 C612 chipset server platform :)

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Processor = i5

RAM = 32-64gb

I'd go with an SSD instead, especially for minecraft.

If you really want to do it properly, you're going to need

- Double (or even triple if you want) redundant power supplies. You'll also want a UPS and maybe even a power generator to keep your server online during power outages.

- Business grade internet so you have a static IP and guaranteed uptime (much more expensive than residential internet). If you're experiencing slow network issues in and/or out of your server, consider paying for a gigabit fiber line.

- Server grade hardware. This means a server motherboard, one or more Xeon server CPUs, and ECC memory.

- Server grade storage. This means enough storage to save your player files and worlds, but also on a RAID 1 or RAID 10. RAID 1 if you want data redundancy, RAID 10 if you want data redundancy and speed. SSDs would be preferred here for obvious reasons. An enterprise grade HDD for any archival data would be also be good.

If you're really up to dropping all that cash and building yourself a mini datacenter.. I guess go for it. But to me and most people in this thread, it just makes straight up more sense to rent from an actual datacenter that will take care of hardware cycles, power, bandwidth, guarantees, and hosting for you in a price that is much easier to swallow than dropping the many thousands of dollars on the items I mentioned above.

But hey, if you're really up to it, nothing really stops you besides from all that money.

You don't need internet with an enterprise level SLA, consumer grade internet is fine at his speeds.

You don't NEED redundant anything besides storage.  If he has a major outage I'm sure the users on his server will understand; unless they are paying for this.

It's recommended that he use high frequency cores, a sizable amount of ram, and fast storage.

Consider an intel 4790/6700.  32GB ram.  2x 1TB SSD's in RAID 1.  Quality hardware.  Don't bother getting complicated with denser raid arrays, redundant power, ram disk, etc.

Minecraft hardware suggestions--

Requirements Players CPU RAM SSD HDD Backup WAN Up WAN Down [hide]Notes
Minimum 100+ 2.5+ GHz 8 GB+ 120 GB empty space 500 GB backup space 10 Mbit/s 10 Mbit/s  
Recommended 1000+ 3.5+ GHz 20 GB+ 240 GB empty space 1 TB backup space 100 Mbit/s 100 Mbit/s  
Optimal 10000+ 4.0+ GHz 30 GB+ 400 GB empty space 2 TB backup space 1 Gbit/s 1 Gbit/s RAMDisks can considerably accelerate world saving/loading in a very populated server.

47 minutes ago, Dark said:

You don't need internet with an enterprise level SLA, consumer grade internet is fine at his speeds.

You don't NEED redundant anything besides storage.  If he has a major outage I'm sure the users on his server will understand; unless they are paying for this.

It's recommended that he use high frequency cores, a sizable amount of ram, and fast storage.

Consider an intel 4790/6700.  32GB ram.  2x 1TB SSD's in RAID 1.  Quality hardware.  Don't bother getting complicated with denser raid arrays, redundant power, ram disk, etc.

Minecraft hardware suggestions--

Requirements Players CPU RAM SSD HDD Backup WAN Up WAN Down [hide]Notes
Minimum 100+ 2.5+ GHz 8 GB+ 120 GB empty space 500 GB backup space 10 Mbit/s 10 Mbit/s  
Recommended 1000+ 3.5+ GHz 20 GB+ 240 GB empty space 1 TB backup space 100 Mbit/s 100 Mbit/s  
Optimal 10000+ 4.0+ GHz 30 GB+ 400 GB empty space 2 TB backup space 1 Gbit/s 1 Gbit/s RAMDisks can considerably accelerate world saving/loading in a very populated server.

Thanks! This helped me a lot.

You don't need monitors. Case doesn't matter at all.

You are unlikely to get 100-200 players on a minecraft server unless you're a full time streamer with like 200k+ subscribers....the top 30 servers in the world are only above 200

Windows is OK for Minecraft, you can use something like MyMCAdmin to run it easily.

But for best support of scripts such as generating maps etc...you'd really want Linux. But you'll have a steep learning curve to that if you don't even know what SSH is.

You'll also want a HDD as well probably for backups to backup your map & user data.

I'd be going an i5 CPU with 32GB ram, 256GB/500GB SSD + 1-2TB HDD for backups.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

`screen` is your friend when running Minecraft servers on Linux.

22 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You don't need monitors. Case doesn't matter at all.

You are unlikely to get 100-200 players on a minecraft server unless you're a full time streamer with like 200k+ subscribers....the top 30 servers in the world are only above 200

Windows is OK for Minecraft, you can use something like MyMCAdmin to run it easily.

But for best support of scripts such as generating maps etc...you'd really want Linux. But you'll have a steep learning curve to that if you don't even know what SSH is.

You'll also want a HDD as well probably for backups to backup your map & user data.

I'd be going an i5 CPU with 32GB ram, 256GB/500GB SSD + 1-2TB HDD for backups.

Thanks for all. Could you help me to start with it. I don't really know how to make a Minecraft Sever and all the videos in YouTube are not well explained. Could you please help me?