The beginning of the end of HTC. HTC 10 struggles to sell 1 Million units.

AlTech

Despite being one of the most well received phones of the year, the HTC 10 is not selling well. HTC is struggling to sell a million units of their flagship phone.

HTC 10 is 2016’s lineup of Android phones that is actually quite a stunner to look at, and sports impressive hardware underneath its hood. On top of that HTC promises software and security updates just two weeks after these updates have been released for the Nexus series of smartphones. Even after that, the company can’t seem to catch a break because the flagship smartphone is not selling anywhere near what the company had hoped.

According to a report from TrendForce, HTC 10 is struggling to reach the 1 million sales tally, whereas its competitor, Samsung is expected to report a 13 percent growth year-over-year. We wouldn’t say that the problem lies in the smartphone. There have been several smartphone reviews of HTC 10 and all of them have given a positive rating of the device, so perhaps the problem lies in its pricing. With affordable smartphones becoming more popular and are more within the customer’s grasp, it would create a hurdle of complications for HTC 10.

The hardware specifications are nothing short of impressive; featuring a 5.2-inch QHD display (2560 x 1440), HTC 10 sports a Super LCD5 display that has been reinforced with a curved edge Gorilla Glass. Powered by a Snapdragon 820 and 4GB or RAM, the smartphone comes in two internal storage variants: a 32GB one and a 64GB one, with a storage expansion slot that is able to accommodate a 2TB MicroSD card. One thing that HTC has capitalized upon is the speaker quality of its devices.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/htc-10-seen-better-days-company-struggles-sell-large-number-units/#ixzz4De3Hfsh3

This is a shame. if I had to buy an Android Phone I would buy the HTC 10. The problem is that I don't need to buy a new phone, much less a new Android phone.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I wasn't expecting it to sell well and oh well, it seems that is the case.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

My service provider has stopped selling HTC phones. Came as a bit of a surprise since they used to always have quite a few HTC devices in their shop. The funny thing is that in certain places on their website you can still find links to their HTC store page but it's empty now. Last device they had for sale was the A9 (sold with some Sennheiser Momentum/Urbanite headphones in the box) but they've apparently flushed their stock and haven't ordered any new HTC devices including the HTC 10. So I guess that's it.

It's a damn shame though. HTC 10 was a great device with only a few things lacking. I might have bought it if it was available.

I'm guessing HTC will give it a whirl again next year and after that, they might try to shutdown their smartphone business and do something else; perhaps rely entirely on their Vive business although it seems the market is too small right now to be sustainable when considering the R&D costs.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

My service provider has stopped selling HTC phones. Came as a bit of a surprise since they used to always have quite a few HTC devices in their shop. The funny thing is that in certain places on their website you can still find links to their HTC store page but it's empty now. Last device they had for sale was the A9 (sold with some Sennheiser Momentum/Urbanite headphones in the box) but they've apparently flushed their stock and haven't ordered any new HTC devices including the HTC 10. So I guess that's it.

It's a damn shame though. HTC 10 was a great device with only a few things lacking. I might have bought it if it was available.

I'm guessing HTC will give it a whirl again next year and after that, they might try to shutdown their smartphone business and do something else; perhaps rely entirely on their Vive business although it seems the market is too small right now to be sustainable when considering the R&D costs.

The HTC 10 was a good device. But good doesn't cut it for flagships anymore. I see no reason to buy an HTC 10 over a OnePlus 3 tbh.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I don't know how the prices are in other countries, but here in Sweden it is most definitely a pricing issue.

Galaxy S 7 - 6000 SEK

HTC 10 - 6900 SEK

The HTC 10 is a good phone. I'd even say it is a great phone. But with the Galaxy S 7 being much cheaper, and slightly better in some areas, I don't see any reason to go for the HTC 10. You have to be better than the competitors at something to get sales. Right now I don't really see a reason to get the HTC 10 over the OnePlus 3, which is like 2/3 of the price.

9 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

The M9 was the beginning of the end.

I'd say the M8 was the beginning of the end. It was a downgrade from the M7 in many areas.

11 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

The HTC 10 was a good device. But good doesn't cut it for flagships anymore. I see no reason to buy an HTC 10 over a OnePlus 3 tbh.

Couldn't the same be said for all other flagship devices then? I mean the S7 is a great device but is it $300 better than a OnePlus? And how much better is the S7 than the HTC 10 really?

You pay a premium for the last 10%. Definitely.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Couldn't the same be said for all other flagship devices then? I mean the S7 is a great device but is it $300 better than a OnePlus? And how much better is the S7 than the HTC 10 really?

You pay a premium for the last 10%. Definitely.

I personally wouldn't buy an S7 over a OnePlus, but I can see why some people might buy an S7, and most of those reasons are the same as for why people buy iPhones.

But yes, that does extend to almost all other flagships. The LG G5 is in the same boat as the HTC 10 for example. LG restructured their mobile division as a result of the poor sales. Sony also had poor sales with their flagship(s?).

Meanwhile my dumbass brought an LG G5. I actually dont care what my boi Linus said the cameras are better than any smartphone's I've EVER seen. Still not the fastest or the prettiest tho.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Meanwhile my dumbass brought an LG G5. I actually dont care what my boi Linus said the cameras are better than any smartphone's I've EVER seen. Still not the fastest or the prettiest tho.

Yeah, the review Linus made on the LG G5 was really subpar. Heck, he didn't even mention the LG G5 has dual cameras. Seriously? He said that the camera on the LG G5 "is a serious kick in the balls coming from the one on my iPhone (or Galaxy S7? can't remember)", and in the OnePlus 3 review he said that "the camera goes neck and neck with the S7" iirc.

5 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Yeah, the review Linus made on the LG G5 was really subpar. Heck, he didn't even mention the LG G5 has dual cameras. Seriously? He said that the camera on the LG G5 "is a serious kick in the balls coming from the one on my iPhone (or Galaxy S7? can't remember)", and in the OnePlus 3 review he said that "the camera goes neck and neck with the S7" iirc.

Yeah sorry but my GF's iPhone 6s' camera can't touch mine. I had gotten the G5 a day before his review and I honestly bought it solely off of Austin Evan's review of it. I had a iPhone 4 before the G5, and seeing some of the pictures taken by the G5 in his video, coupled with the solid specs and the modular features that I honestly won't ever use but are still cool, I was sold. I was strongly displeased with the G5 review Linus did. Yes, it could be waterproof and that would give it another 10%, but that doesn't make it a shit phone solely on that merit. And it sucks because any non techie looking for a phone might happen to lookup a review of the G5 on Youtube... and get Linus' video calling it the lesser option out of all the flagships out right now and move on :/

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't know how the prices are in other countries, but here in Sweden it is most definitely a pricing issue.

Galaxy S 7 - 6000 SEK

HTC 10 - 6900 SEK

Depending on the location, here HTC is 30 euros cheaper than S7 and much cheaper than Edge. As always, G5 is cheaper than all. No pricing plans, full prices. 

Seeing how good it is, this shows that quality doesn't always sell. I am really sad to see this. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well aint that disapointing? HTC had much more potential than LG if you ask me and could topple Samsung easily, by its speakers alone... Sigh these ineducated buyers of now, that think glass phones and ones with a fruit on the back are superior to the remainders x-x

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Depending on the location, here HTC is 30 euros cheaper than S7 and much cheaper than Edge. As always, G5 is cheaper than all. No pricing plans, full prices. 

Seeing how good it is, this shows that quality doesn't always sell. I am really sad to see this. 

Everybody who actually cares about the Euro, please raise your hand.......

That's what I thought. Nobody.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Here it's about 75-100 EUR more expensive than a regular S7.

And the LG G5 is like 175 EUR less than the HTC 10

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That doesn't make sense. Might as well say "who cares about the Dollar? No one does" or [insert currency I don't use]. I don't use Euros myself but it's pretty much just as applicable as Dollars.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So? I couldn't care less about dollar. No reason to (obviously) put my currency, and by know (almost) everyone knows how to ~ convert dollars and euros. Seeing how we're from Europe we are confronted with euros much more often than with dollars.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

That doesn't make sense. Might as well say "who cares about the Dollar? No one does" or [insert currency I don't use]. I don't use Euros myself but it's pretty much just as applicable as Dollars.

No but Euros are a little stupid IMHO. Might as well use dollars since it's based off the USD.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No but Euros are a little stupid IMHO. Might as well use dollars since it's based off the USD.

Euro is not a little stupid, it's massively stupid, but still doesn't undermine the fact that it's 2nd most used currency worldwide.

God I hope we never start using it, which sadly we might. 

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about currencies to dispute it.

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Euro is not a little stupid, it's massively stupid, but still doesn't undermine the fact that it's 2nd most used currency worldwide.

England didn't really care about the EURO either. That's why they lost versus Iceland.

2 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

England didn't really care about the EURO either. That's why they lost versus Iceland.

That's actually a really good one. 

9 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Why is it stupid may I ask?