Any ideas to get an 8800 GTS to work?

VG Docs

I have my uncle's old 8800 GTS now in an attempt to get it to work.

The issue is that when I turn the PC on (with it in), there's no display.

The fan works (which indicates that it's not a power issue)

I tried taking the fan off and reapplying the thermal paste

I tried getting as good positioning in the PCIe slot as possible when turning the PC on

I tried using both DVI connectors. Neither appeared to make a difference.

I haven't tried the oven method. Don't really want to >.> ... guess I could try as a last resort though.

The PC works (with the card in) when I use the iGPU for the display. As far as I can tell though, Windows doesn't seem to recognize the GPU at all.

Any other ideas?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

1. apply lube
2. insert into your uncles ass
3. get new gpu.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

And of course I get a troll comment with my luck... >.>

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Here's right though. Why do you even need a dGPU? Your iGPU is most likely better than an 8800 gts.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Here's right though. Why do you even need a dGPU? Your iGPU is most likely better than an 8800 gts.

imo troubleshooting threads should very rarely conclude to a "meh whatever, just get a better GPU" state, if for no other reason than experience with hardware and the learning process.

To answer though, no... most modern iGPUs still aren't quite on par with the 8800 GTS. I'm unfortunately unlucky enough to have an iGPU of an older CPU though, the Athlon II X2 240.

I have revived 8800's with the oven method before, it works but of course results may vary and how long it's 'fixed' for is unknown. There is a point where things are so old it's not even worth fixing, I still have the 8800 around somewhere in a box but only because I never throw anything out 'just in case'.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I have revived 8800's with the oven method before, it works but of course results may vary and how long it's 'fixed' for is unknown. There is a point where things are so old it's not even worth fixing, I still have the 8800 around somewhere in a box but only because I never throw anything out 'just in case'.

Okay, but remember that it's actually the best thing I have as a current option so I'll probably try the oven method. Any particular tips or videos to make sure I minimize my chances of screwing it up?

I have 2 of those which I got from garage sale back in the days. Both died of the solder joint issue. Revived one for a short period of time using the oven method but I've realized that it's not worth the hassle anymore and moved on to a 5650.

Still have them in a box and have no idea what to do with them.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

2 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Okay, but remember that it's actually the best thing I have as a current option so I'll probably try the oven method. Any particular tips or videos to make sure I minimize my chances of screwing it up?

Not that I can remember, was ages ago when I did it. Best advice I can give is don't just follow Linus's video :P. Have a look on youtube and watch a few to get a feel for who actually knows what they are doing, but common sense really is the most applicable thing here.

so.. i'd be that guy to calculate how much power your oven will use to try and bake it, and give you a budget for a new card based on that.. :P

but yeah.. chances are it's a dud, and for all the tricks in the world, its an 8800GTS, it's not worth trying to fix it.

EDIT: crudely mathed, you'd spend about a dollar an hour baking it.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. i'd be that guy to calculate how much power your oven will use to try and bake it, and give you a budget for a new card based on that.. :P

but yeah.. chances are it's a dud, and for all the tricks in the world, its an 8800GTS, it's not worth trying to fix it.

EDIT: crudely mathed, you'd spend about a dollar an hour baking it.

Also im doesnt it render the oven useles for cpnsumables after it?

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

16 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Also im doesnt it render the oven useles for cpnsumables after it?

Some say it does but i know people that have done this in their oven and used it for food afterwards and none of them got any sign of intoxication so maybe with the right equipment you might find traces of it but in reality the chances of having health problems caused by it is probably very small.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon