Dell is ditching Android Tablets. Future Dell tablets to run Windows 10.

AlTech

Dell has made it official, the company is ditching Android on tablets. All Dell tablets which ran Android have been discontinued and Dell will not be selling or making any tablets which run Android. The company is more focused on Windows tablets. This is apparently due to the low sales compared to traditional Windows tablets. The company wants all future tablets to run Windows 10 so that it will give consumers and the enterprise the OS the experience they expect in a 2 in 1 form factor.

Dell-Venue.jpg

It’s a sad state of affairs for Android tablets as Dell has decided that there’s no point in carrying out the production phase of its Venue family of slates, which were known for packing decent specifications and running Google’s mobile OS. Now, the company has decided to invest in Microsoft, in the hopes that the company will be able to do well with the company’s Windows 10 platform.

Dell has been in play in the tech industry for quite a while and its business model certainly doesn’t revolve around producing products that resonate the best price/performance ratio. Chinese OEMs are quick to target this market, which will naturally attract the consumer, placing Dell’s progress dead in its tracks. In fact, Dell introduced its Venue 10 7000 slate, which was a massive 10.5-inch tablet running Google’s Android OS and came with a detachable keyboard that’s far superior than the kickstand accessory that you have to purchase separately from Microsoft.

Unfortunately, Dell’s attempt to lure consumers and business owners away from Windows in the hopes that they will start adopt to Android as a substitute OS for the completion of their everyday tasks; the company failed miserably, which is why it is going back to providing solutions to both enterprises and the average joe with its 2-in-1s powered by Microsoft’s Windows 10.

What Dell can do to attract a larger consumer base is not to let its pricing strategy run crazy and we feel that Intel is going to aid in the matter with its Apollo Lake SoCs. Intel’s abysmal performance in the SoC market is well known, and while Apollo Lake will provide a fair number of improvements over its predecessor, there are more developing markets for Dell to take advantage of, and Intel and Dell can strike a chip deal that will benefit both parties.

YAY!!! I can finally continue recommending Dell Tablets to people. I loved Dell's Venue Windows Tablets but when they focused on Android I was not super happy. Now I can easily recommend these to just about anybody needing a tablet.

http://wccftech.com/dell-has-discontinued-its-venue-tablets-running-android/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Window 10 is a amazing tablet OS

Yeah but there were a few stupid things they removed which were super tablet friendly such as removing the automatic syncing of Start menus across devices. And also the removal of IE Mobile on Windows was terrible. They should have remade it in addition to IE and have Edge and Edge Mobile on it. Cos frankly Edge isn't mobile friendly on PCs or Tablets.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If it's seamless between tablet and desktop mode and apps sure, that actually sounds kinda useful.

The thing is they switched from Windows tablets using Windows 8.1 to Android and now back to Windows 10 tablets.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

The thing is they switched from Windows tablets using Windows 8.1 to Android and now back to Windows 10 tablets.

Lol what? Does that work with x86 processors and what not? I would imagine it would take some fancy coding to get android to work on normal, pc, hardware. 

ASU

11 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol what? Does that work with x86 processors and what not? I would imagine it would take some fancy coding to get android to work on normal, pc, hardware. 

Android works on x86 and also works on normal PCs (eg. Remix OS).

What sucks for people who bought their Android tablets is that they won't be getting updates anymore either (if they even updated those things to begin with).

Ahh nice.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is good news. Windows 10 is great on tablets.(unlike Win8)

Though I hope they make their tablets more powerful. My Venue 8 Pro is quite slow and I'm even considering selling it at this point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't get why anyone would want Windows on a tablet. Whenever I see someone describe why Windows is better for tablets they are always talking about 2-in-1s and always talking about it in "laptop mode". 

Can anyone give me a few reasons why Windows is better for tablets than Android, and that doesn't also apply to a Windows laptop? 

Win32 programs are usually near impossible to use on a tablet. 

I think Dell should have made a good Android tablet instead of abandoning it. It makes me really sad to see that nobody seems to care about Android tablets.

I only know of one Android tablet that used the Snapdragon 810 SoC, and that's the Z4 Tablet. Right now there are no Android tablets with the Snapdragon 820.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don't get why anyone would want Windows on a tablet. Whenever I see someone describe why Windows is better for tablets they are always talking about 2-in-1s and always talking about it in "laptop mode". 

Can anyone give me a few reasons why Windows is better for tablets than Android, and that doesn't also apply to a Windows laptop? 

I think Dell should have made a good Android tablet instead of abandoning it. It makes me really sad to see that nobody seems to care about Android tablets.

I only know of one Android tablet that used the Snapdragon 810 SoC, and that's the Z4 Tablet. Right now there are no Android tablets with the Snapdragon 820.

Yeah, the whole Win32 thing is baffling to me when people talk about wanting x86 on phones so they have access to more applications. I mean outside of the niche use case of tethering yourself to a dock of some kind to use those apps, what are you gonna do with a Win32 program on a 5" touch screen? It would be impossible to use. Yeah, I know you talk about tablets but I've heard the argument for x86 and Win32 support on phones. At no point in time would anyone want to use touch on applications made for mouse and keyboard. Well, unless they want a terrible experience.

Android does have a problem in the tablet department. I have an Android tablet and the frequency of which apps drops me into portrait mode (aka blown-up phone app) is astounding. It's a 16:10 display. It's awkward as hell switching to portrait. And not only that, sometimes it switches back to landscape in other parts of the app. 16:10 and 16:9 should also kinda be banned from tablets I think. Outside of watching video, it's a terrible format. 4:3 and 3:2 is better.

Android needs to put stricter rules in place if they want tablets to be pleasant to use and ban all "phone" apps.

The reason why no Android tablets use the Snapdragon 820 is because they all try to keep BOM cost down due to the generally lackluster sales (or that's what I'm assuming). The profits and sales are worse, so they sell a handful of tablets with middling specs to satisfy those who buys tablets. I mean Samsung for example have their Tab S line of 'flagship' tablets. They put in great displays but it ends there. The rest is far behind its phone counterpart. I don't think Samsung would ever go all in and bring it to parity with their phone line. The sales probably aren't good enough. The market has been in decline for a while and people prefer an iPad if they can afford it. Samsung ships less tablets than Apple which would seem odd as Samsung has a wider range of models and in lower segments as well making them more affordable, yet people buy iPads instead. The experience is just better due to the tight control Apple has on the eco system and therefore dictates that developers should also target iPads and the market is there meaning targeting tablets is worthwhile.

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah, the whole Win32 thing is baffling to me when people talk about wanting x86 on phones so they have access to more applications. I mean outside of the niche use case of tethering yourself to a dock of some kind to use those apps, what are you gonna do with a Win32 program on a 5" touch screen? It would be impossible to use. Yeah, I know you talk about tablets but I've heard the argument for x86 and Win32 support on phones. At no point in time would anyone want to use touch on applications made for mouse and keyboard. Well, unless they want a terrible experience.

Android does have a problem in the tablet department. I have an Android tablet and the frequency of which apps drops me into portrait mode (aka blown-up phone app) is astounding. It's a 16:10 display. It's awkward as hell switching to portrait. And not only that, sometimes it switches back to landscape in other parts of the app. 16:10 and 16:9 should also kinda be banned from tablets I think. Outside of watching video, it's a terrible format. 4:3 and 3:2 is better.

Android needs to put stricter rules in place if they want tablets to be pleasant to use and ban all "phone" apps.

The reason why no Android tablets use the Snapdragon 820 is because they all try to keep BOM cost down due to the generally lackluster sales (or that's what I'm assuming). The profits and sales are worse, so they sell a handful of tablets with middling specs to satisfy those who buys tablets. I mean Samsung for example have their Tab S line of 'flagship' tablets. They put in great displays but it ends there. The rest is far behind its phone counterpart. I don't think Samsung would ever go all in and bring it to parity with their phone line. The sales probably aren't good enough. The market has been in decline for a while and people prefer an iPad if they can afford it. Samsung ships less tablets than Apple which would seem odd as Samsung has a wider range of models and in lower segments as well making them more affordable, yet people buy iPads instead. The experience is just better due to the tight control Apple has on the eco system and therefore dictates that developers should also target iPads and the market is there meaning targeting tablets is worthwhile.

frankly i'm just waiting for refresh of this tablet 

http://www.jide.com/remix-ultratablet

and as someone who used the 2 in 1 tablets from Asus (Windows 8.1 powered ones, upgraded to W10 just for giggles, now it's just a Linux test machine), not the best experience once you take it out of it's keyboard dock, bought cause it was small and lite but at the end of the month i just went back to carry around my non-retina macbook 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How about Universal Windows Apps (then again, you can also use that on PC but that is deliberate). You can use Windows Tablets just like PCs or more like a tablet than a PC.

They are designed to be flexible and do what you want them to do. If you want Apps and tablet things then use "tablet mode" and use UWP apps.

if you want Win32 then use Win32 programs and not UWP. Or somewhere in between.

12 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

frankly i'm just waiting for refresh of this tablet 

http://www.jide.com/remix-ultratablet

and as someone who used the 2 in 1 tablets from Asus (Windows 8.1 powered ones, upgraded to W10 just for giggles, now it's just a Linux test machine), not the best experience once you take it out of it's keyboard dock, bought cause it was small and lite but at the end of the month i just went back to carry around my non-retina macbook 

Why? What was wrong with it? What was bad about Windows 8.1 on a tablet? I know there are more apps now then there were before but still.

12 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Android supports x86 and so does Windows. The only issue now is that Intel isn't really concerned with Low Power Atom chips that are used in cheap x86 based tablets.

Now the only other option is AMD's 28nm Puma + based SOCs which are kinda meh.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

This is good news. Windows 10 is great on tablets.(unlike Win8)

Though I hope they make their tablets more powerful. My Venue 8 Pro is quite slow and I'm even considering selling it at this point.

You won't have to worry about performance on Windows Tablets for too much longer. Intel will cease production of Atom SOCs if sales continue to be they way they have been for a while. That means that future Windows tablets will be more expensive (around $700) but run on Core M and 4GB RAM.

Unless they choose Windows 10 Mobile on tablets BUT that's not the best experience on earth. it's almost exactly like using a Windows Phone but blown up to 7 or 8 inches. Not bad but not ideal for a tablet. the benefit is that they can use ARM based chips for Windows 10 Mobile.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

How about Universal Windows Apps (then again, you can also use that on PC but that is deliberate). You can use Windows Tablets just like PCs or more like a tablet than a PC.

They are designed to be flexible and do what you want them to do. If you want Apps and tablet things then use "tablet mode" and use UWP apps.

if you want Win32 then use Win32 programs and not UWP. Or somewhere in between.

Why? What was wrong with it? What was bad about Windows 8.1 on a tablet? I know there are more apps now then there were before but still.

first of all: no fucks given about apps, it's a PC. Not a phone and first i did was remove every pre backed UWP app on it (Windows Store included)

second: screen too small to actually do anything relevant, useless without it's keyboard (windows and touch is just a big no no, specially on your standard win32 programs, doesn't make sense even with W8.1, only time i touched the screen was to scroll the first day i bought it, never did it again after that)

third: i thought a PC small enough to use in bed without be encumbered by the keyboard would have been great for reading, doing stuff in bed before going to sleep, but the touch experience is so terrible i had to let that idea go

The only good thing at the end of the day about that 2 in 1 is that it ws cheap and is a good test bench for linux distros, and the drive bay in the keyboard dock (now has a 256GB SSD in addition to it's 32GB internal) is a welcomed feature for those moments where i want to install another distro but don't want to wipe the previous yet as i'm unsure if i'd like it or not, also serve as mass storage for those file i don't want to lose while transitioning, but even with Linux it always stays attached to the dock, never used as a touch only device 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

first of all: no fucks given about apps, it's a PC. Not a phone and first i did was remove every pre backed UWP app on it (Windows Store included)

second: screen too small to actually do anything relevant, useless without it's keyboard (windows and touch is just a big no no, specially on your standard win32 programs, doesn't make sense even with W8.1, only time i touched the screen was to scroll the first day i bought it, never did it again after that)

third: i thought a PC small enough to use in bed without be encumbered by the keyboard would have been great for reading, doing stuff in bed before going to sleep, but the touch experience is so terrible i had to let that idea go

The only good thing at the end of the day about that 2 in 1 is that it ws cheap and is a good test bench for linux distros, and the drive bay in the keyboard dock (now has a 256GB SSD in addition to it's 32GB internal) is a welcomed feature for those moments where i want to install another distro but don't want to wipe the previous yet as i'm unsure if i'd like it or not, also serve as mass storage for those file i don't want to lose while transitioning, but even with Linux it always stays attached to the dock, never used as a touch only device 

Lol it's not a PC. It's a tablet. It's meant to use Windows Apps and occasionally Win32.

Windows Tablets are meant to primarily run UWP apps from the Windows Store. They can run Win32 for compatibility reasons but they aren't really meant to run them. If you absolutely need Win32 then it works but otherwise just use UWP apps.

If you don't want to use UWP apps then don't buy a Windows tablet or any Windows device.  

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you don't want to use UWP apps then don't buy a Windows tablet or any Windows device.  

My main issue with windows tablets

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol it's not a PC. It's a tablet. It's meant to use Windows Apps and occasionally Win32.

Windows Tablets are meant to primarily run UWP apps from the Windows Store. They can run Win32 for compatibility reasons but they aren't really meant to run them. If you absolutely need Win32 then it works but otherwise just use UWP apps.

does it have an x86 based processor? yes

therefore it's a PC

what do PCs run best? Win32 programs

Who's more functional between UWP and Win32? Win32

Sorry but if you have a windows based 2 in 1, only an idiot would use it just to run mobile apps. If windows tablet are truly meant just to run UWP, they should have just release Surface 2 RT and see what idiot would actually want that

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

does it have an x86 based processor? yes

therefore it's a PC

what do PCs run best? Win32 programs

Who's more functional between UWP and Win32? Win32

Sorry but if you have a windows based 2 in 1, only an idiot would use it just to run mobile apps. If windows tablet are truly meant just to run UWP, they should have just release Surface 2 RT and see what idiot would actually want that

So an Android tablet running an x86 Atom CPU is now a PC? Good to know /s

It's a fucking tablet. It runs x86 because otherwise it would be forced to run Windows 10 Mobile and not many would buy it then. 

You should only use Win32 on a 2 in 1, for apps optimized for Touch. UWP has come a long way. More apps than ever are being produced for PCs, Tablets and Phones.

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

My main issue with windows tablets

You have got to admit it is certainly getting better and has gotten a lot better in the past 2 years.

But it's still not an "iPad replacement" machine. It can replace your iPad if you didn't like the idea off just a simple Mobile OS tablet. If you liked the iPad then odds are you won't like Windows on a tablet.

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But it's still not an "iPad replacement" machine. It can replace your iPad if you didn't like the idea off just a simple Mobile OS tablet. If you liked the iPad then odds are you won't like Windows on a tablet.

Yeah I way prefer my iPad for "tablet" duties

and I find windows tablet useless so prefer light laptops

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So an Android tablet running an x86 Atom CPU is now a PC? Good to know /s

they proved that it can

http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

and it works great 

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's a fucking tablet. It runs x86 because otherwise it would be forced to run Windows 10 Mobile and not many would buy it then. 

not many would buy them cause UWP apps are complete useless crap to begin with when you have the chance to use the better Win32, that's why the Surface RT died off to irrelevance: cause no one wants to use the mobile experience on a form factor that isn't a phone

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You should only use Win32 on a 2 in 1, for apps optimized for Touch. UWP has come a long way. More apps than ever are being produced for PCs, Tablets and Phones.

tell me one app that's more useful than it's Win32 counterpart, or even browser based counterpart for what that matters

Spotify? Netflix? Crunhyroll? Hulu? Bank? Social Networks? 

I'd rather just open up Firefox and pin all of their tabs than having to download an app for each and everyone of them