Jump to content

Vessi - water resistance is lost after a month or two

Go to solution Solved by DeerDK,

Sounds like Linus was right in being very pedantic about that "water proof" wording

Name of Brand:

Vessi

 

 

Did this issue happen to you or someone else?

Me.

 

Description of your issue:

I've had 2 pairs of shoes from them now (1 that I bought, 1 that was a warranty that also broke) that only held their water resistance for a couple of months. After wearing them daily for months, and then stepping in puddles, rivers, etc, the water-tight seal gradually broke down. A quick puddle usually isn't enough time to soak through, but if the shoe is in water for more than 4 or 5 seconds (e.g., crossing a river, which is something I do) then I can feel my socks getting wet. It really only takes a few seconds.

 

Both shoes that I've had have had this issue within a matter of months.

 

Have you tried solving your issue through the brand's customer support channel? If so, what was the result?

 

Yes. The first pair got warrantied and I got a second pair. But when the second pair stopped working I just gave up. I'm out of warranty for the first pair, so I can't really be bothered to go through the RMA again. I should note that the RMA process was smooth, though a little slow.

 

 

What would an ideal resolution of your issue look like?

 

A refund would be nice, but I wouldn't be deeply offended if that got refused. I did wait over a year to post this, after all. I also wouldn't mind a third set (1st time is a fluke, 2nd time is a coincidence, 3rd time is a pattern, right?) but again, I'd understand if that was refused as well. 

 

My main intent behind this is to raise awareness, both for LMG, the community, and Vessi. I also want to know if other people have had this issue. If this is unexpected, then I'm happy to help Vessi figure out what's happening (maybe my feet are particularly destructive - more on that below). From my experience, these shoes could barely be considered water-resistant (not even IP68), let alone "water proof".

 

 

The leaks have always began in the right shoe, so its probably unrelated. but I have recently noticed that my left foot sits sideways in these shoes, with the side of my foot hanging off the sole (picture included below). I don't know if these shoes are causing my feet to sit weird due to the lack of side support, or if my feet have always done this and has caused damage to the shoes. I figure it might be useful to note it. Again, probably unrelated, but I'm including it in case its helpful for Vessi. image.thumb.jpeg.10cd83236051c831a3871b037972bd0b.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

My gf's shoe have this issue, where it's not as water proof anymore and could only be counted as water resistant. But the problem I saw in it was that she like to wash and brush per shoe regularly and even somethings dry them in the sun. So I think it loosen the tightness of the fabric. But for others, there could be other factors too, like our weight and size and shape of our feet. Just looking at the screenshot of your feet, it seems you have a wide feet and may or may not be flat footed as well, like me. It might add to the list of weird on your search history, but try googling shoes or just vessi and look at the feet  of other people. You would see that most of them won't deform the shape of the shoes when they wore and stand on them. I'm flat footed too, so I'm always looking for wide or extra wide shoes size. Or get a flatfoot insole that has an arch support and if you want the best support, have your feet check so you can find the right shape for you.

image.thumb.png.1344262bfc33862a7142374c78c192fb.png

 

These pictures are not mine by the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a double edged sword when it comes to water repellent coatings. Non-PFAS coatings don’t last and PFAS coatings are bad for environment.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Linus was right in being very pedantic about that "water proof" wording

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That toe box is way too narrow for you. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the seam failed.

 

Are all of Vessi's shoes cut like that? Try Merrell, Vivo, or Xero.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot that I don't get notifications 😅

 

The dummy thicc foot makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out y'all 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Joshua K. said:

Forgot that I don't get notifications 😅

 

The dummy thicc foot makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out y'all 

Just saw this came out, but you weren't tagged properly in it.

 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

 

Why is the 5800x so hot?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Just saw this came out, but you weren't tagged properly in it.

 

Thanks @IkeaGnome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2024 at 1:31 AM, DeerDK said:

Sounds like Linus was right in being very pedantic about that "water proof" wording

Saying that Linus was right, I think implies that he wasn't sure about the truth of the claim, so he worded the claim to be more careful and even ethical. 

 

But I'll go further than that.  As an intelligent and eclectic guy running a fairly seasoned tech-based media company, more likely he knows the claim is simply false. Otherwise, he'd have contributed to a video, testing and showcasing the waterproof claim by now, and showing that it holds up over time.  He won't, because he knows such a video would end terribly.  Not sure why he thought it was ethical to simply attribute the claim to Vessi instead of himself.  But maybe it's more about what his attorneys told him was best legally for the company, rather than what's ethical toward the audience.  

 

Anyone who's been around the block and has purchased various waterproof clothing over the years knows that the effect generally wears over time, and generally over not very much time.  Same thing if you were to buy those pants we've all seen in Facebook adds where someone spills a bottle of juice or something and it all just bounces off.  See how that goes after a dozen+ washes.  Not a chance.

 

Notice that Vessi never makes claims on their page about how long the effect lasts.  Even their FAQ section talking about the tech behind it, mentions nothing about the longevity.

 

Unless you see a company making specific claims about longevity and incorporating that into their warranty, it's safe to assume that any clothing sold as waterproof isn't, and what water resistance it holds will not last long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

kind of annoyed that ads dont talk about the coatings and some products dont. haven't seen what they say, and why they dont want to talk about adding the coating for extra profit? or nah? then again social media ads be shady as hell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2024 at 8:57 PM, imnotdavid said:

Saying that Linus was right, I think implies that he wasn't sure about the truth of the claim, so he worded the claim to be more careful and even ethical. 

 

But I'll go further than that.  As an intelligent and eclectic guy running a fairly seasoned tech-based media company, more likely he knows the claim is simply false. Otherwise, he'd have contributed to a video, testing and showcasing the waterproof claim by now, and showing that it holds up over time.  He won't, because he knows such a video would end terribly.  Not sure why he thought it was ethical to simply attribute the claim to Vessi instead of himself.  But maybe it's more about what his attorneys told him was best legally for the company, rather than what's ethical toward the audience.  

 

Anyone who's been around the block and has purchased various waterproof clothing over the years knows that the effect generally wears over time, and generally over not very much time.  Same thing if you were to buy those pants we've all seen in Facebook adds where someone spills a bottle of juice or something and it all just bounces off.  See how that goes after a dozen+ washes.  Not a chance.

 

Notice that Vessi never makes claims on their page about how long the effect lasts.  Even their FAQ section talking about the tech behind it, mentions nothing about the longevity.

 

Unless you see a company making specific claims about longevity and incorporating that into their warranty, it's safe to assume that any clothing sold as waterproof isn't, and what water resistance it holds will not last long.

The only truly-long-lasting waterproofing is GoreTex, or a comparable breathable membrane technology. Waterproof coatings, 'waterproof-impregnated leather' and any similarly-worded phrases/materials should be considered ablative waterproofing that will slowly (hopefully) but surely lose effectiveness over time. The more liquid exposure, the faster it gives up the ghost. I have Goretex-lined Ecco boots that are ten years old and still waterproof, because Goretex wont fail unless you puncture it, and Ecco uses top-shelf materials (they also make the 'Linus Sandal', aka the Offroad/Yucatan).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UrielX said:

The only truly-long-lasting waterproofing is GoreTex, or a comparable breathable membrane technology. Waterproof coatings, 'waterproof-impregnated leather' and any similarly-worded phrases/materials should be considered ablative waterproofing that will slowly (hopefully) but surely lose effectiveness over time. The more liquid exposure, the faster it gives up the ghost. I have Goretex-lined Ecco boots that are ten years old and still waterproof, because Goretex wont fail unless you puncture it, and Ecco uses top-shelf materials (they also make the 'Linus Sandal', aka the Offroad/Yucatan).

Goretex is pure garbage if you compare to leather that is treated. You will break the plastic if you walk in puddles that contain particles but you can just wax the leather after washing your shoes. And with no lining, you get a pair of dry leather shoes with a change of socks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Goretex is pure garbage if you compare to leather that is treated. You will break the plastic if you walk in puddles that contain particles but you can just wax the leather after washing your shoes. And with no lining, you get a pair of dry leather shoes with a change of socks.

at that point just wear rubber boots 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear Leather boots, they are waterproof if maintained correctly, and will last longer. Buying any shoe or boot that claims waterproof with no maintenance is just... well... fool hardy.

 

My 2cents.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

 

Spoiler

  

 

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

 

 CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I wear Leather boots, they are waterproof if maintained correctly, and will last longer. Buying any shoe or boot that claims waterproof with no maintenance is just... well... fool hardy.

 

My 2cents.

Right you are on maintenance. I didn't maintain my Red Wing boots and they failed after about 5 years or so. They stopped being waterproof way before that. I really need to keep treating them (my new ones) with a leather treatment. It only takes a few mins anyway. But I don't know what kind of maintenance you can do on a Vessi shoe.

 

OP you have may have wider than normal feet. Like a 2E for example. If you go to a nicer shoe store they can measure that for certain (even if you don't buy anything).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 2:16 PM, Jeppes said:

Goretex is pure garbage if you compare to leather that is treated. You will break the plastic if you walk in puddles that contain particles but you can just wax the leather after washing your shoes. And with no lining, you get a pair of dry leather shoes with a change of socks.

What a weird comment.  All puddles "contain particles."   So literally any puddle breaks the seal by your own account.  And if you have to then apply a wax every time, then we're right back at the initial point that all of these "waterproof" claims are crap, and the effectiveness wears off quickly with any exposure to actual moisture.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×