Enhance speed with two ethernet cables

Hi

I would like to hear if it is possible to enhance speed on switch from a router by connecting two Ethernet cables with each other. If possible what do I have to take in consideration?

?

This would only increase speeds within your own network. Not entirely sure what you're asking.

5 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

?

This would only increase speeds within your own network. Not entirely sure what you're asking.

btw wrong video i think this one is about direct copper connects and yea your internet download speeds would be the same

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

btw wrong video i think this one is about direct copper connects

rip too many networking videos for me to keep track of

Are you talking something along the likes of Ether Channel

"EtherChannel is a port link aggregation technology or port-channel architecture used primarily on Cisco switches. It allows grouping of several physical Ethernet links to create one logical Ethernet link for the purpose of providing fault-tolerance and high-speed links between switches, routers and servers."

14 hours ago, MightyMic said:

I believe what you're asking about is link aggregation, and from my understanding it's a pain to setup.

Oh yea, its a pain alright

and since we know nothing about his router and/or switch, its near impossible to help

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 11:06 AM, abhiflares said:

Are you talking something along the likes of Ether Channel

"EtherChannel is a port link aggregation technology or port-channel architecture used primarily on Cisco switches. It allows grouping of several physical Ethernet links to create one logical Ethernet link for the purpose of providing fault-tolerance and high-speed links between switches, routers and servers."

helps what you say, this is what I want to do, just want to hear if running two cables from internet router to switch would increase the speed in the existing network example a intranet network. Does it increase speed on the network with file transfers between computers?

Some switches support port trunking/link aggregation, where you can combine several gigabit network cables between your computer and the switch to obtain more than 1gbps speeds between your computer and the switch. 

If only your computer uses this method to improve its speed, the other computers in the network will still transfer data from the switch to them at 1gbps, but at least now several computers can transfer data from your computer at speeds close to (but not over) 1gbps. So, it would help if your computer is  a sort of server streaming data to lots of people on the network for example. 

If you want another computer in the network to transfer files from your computer at faster than 1gbps, you'll have to do the same thing with that computer, and hope the switch can create separate aggregations/port trunkings.

A few years ago I've used Allied Telesis 24 and 48 port 1gbps switches that were capable of this, but they were high end switches with management and bells and whistles, they would probably cost about $400-$750 each in today's money when perfectly capable 24 port gigabit switches are $100-120 these days. If I remember correctly these used to support up to 4 network ports bundled together as single 4gbps links.