RX 480 - DownloadMoreRAM.com

DXMember
5 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Same thing happened with the Fury. Many people were able to turn their Fury's into Fury Xs or ones with 3876 or whatever shaders.

I'm actually looking into unlocking 4 compute units on each of my cards, but haven't got to it yet... maybe next month or so...

one of them almost made it to the full Fury X, but fell short on one CU... fellbadman

the other one is really disappointing and has given me troubles achieving high overclocks in CF...

Fiji-class chip with 16 compute units per Shader Engine
SE1 hw/sw: 00030000 / 00000000 [..............xx]
SE2 hw/sw: 00810000 / 00000000 [........x......x]
SE3 hw/sw: 08010000 / 00000000 [....x..........x]
SE4 hw/sw: 00030000 / 00000000 [..............xx]
56 of 64 CUs are active. HW locks: 8 (R/W) / SW locks: 0 (R/W)

Fiji-class chip with 16 compute units per Shader Engine
SE1 hw/sw: 00030000 / 00000000 [..............xx]
SE2 hw/sw: 00030000 / 00000000 [..............xx]
SE3 hw/sw: 00030000 / 00000000 [..............xx]
SE4 hw/sw: 00210000 / 00000000 [..........x....x]
56 of 64 CUs are active. HW locks: 8 (R/W) / SW locks: 0 (R/W).

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I'm actually looking into unlocking 4 compute units on each of my cards, but haven't got to it yet... maybe next month or so...

Well, you're going to need to check if it's possible :P Most of the newer cards cannot do that :c

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Intel and Nvidia do basically do this. As do basically all chip manufacturers.

I'm not picking any sides here, I've always considered myself fairly impartial, and I've bitched at and defended both AMD and Nvidias actions on multiple occasions whenever one of these types of threads pops up. 

You're pretending like AMD is the only company to disable hardware on a card. 

No, I'm just as hard on Nvidia. Probably worse since their actions have a more direct impact on me. If AMD took ram that failed and made the 4g model, then that's understandable. Would also lend insight as to why there are more 8g available. If they trick 40 bucks out of people for something that's already there, well Huston we have a problem.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

lol... this is laughable

PCI and ATX specification are greatly underrated, and AMD for sure knows what they're doing - just look at the R9 295x2 doing 500W TDP on just two 8-pins

turned out to be just fine, well except for the people running CX power supplies or the cheap Chinese stuff... but those people had it coming

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, I'm just as hard on Nvidia. Probably worse since their actions have a more direct impact on me. If AMD took ram that failed and made the 4g model, then that's understandable. Would also lend insight as to why there are more 8g available. If they trick 40 bucks out of people for something that's already there, well Huston we have a problem.

But again, you pay just as much for the firmware as you do for the hardware. Most people aren't going to want to flash a new bios in order to enable the extra vram (again, assuming it's even there in the first place, I don't think it is). 

How about we change focus to Intel's 5820k/5930k. Do you think the extra wires aren't there to enable 40 PCIE lanes on a 5820k? Of course the traces are there, Intel just disabled the functionality so they could sell it for less/charge more for the 5930k. The same thing happens in so many different product lines and there is nothing wrong with it. 

How about the SLI restriction requiring 8 PCIE lanes? Also a firmware lock, yet they charge extra for an SLI certification and thus they result in an increased cost on compatible boards. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

lol... this is laughable

PCI and ATX specification are greatly underrated, and AMD for sure knows what they're doing - just look at the R9 295x2 doing 500W TDP on just two 8-pins

turned out to be just fine, well except for the people running CX power supplies or the cheap Chinese stuff... but those people had it coming

look, Haaaarder. AMD 3 months

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, you're going to need to check if it's possible :P Most of the newer cards cannot do that :c

mines are not THAT new... got them in September when the prices settled down in my region to closer match the American MSRP

been looking at that CU info screen since then, just never had time to properly mess around with it

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

mines are not THAT new... got them in September when the prices settled down in my region to closer match the American MSRP

been looking at that CU info screen since then, just never had time to properly mess around with it

Does it say you can unlock, because, if so, good luck :D Free performance amiright?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But again, you pay just as much for the firmware as you do for the hardware. Most people aren't going to want to flash a new bios in order to enable the extra vram (again, assuming it's even there in the first place, I don't think it is). 

How about we change focus to Intel's 5820k/5930k. Do you think the extra wires aren't there to enable 40 PCIE lanes on a 5820k? Of course the traces are there, Intel just disabled the functionality so they could sell it for less/charge more for the 5930k. The same thing happens in so many different product lines and there is nothing wrong with it. 

Are you suggesting that frequency of the practice has an effect on the morality of it? Since you are having a hard time staying on the topic of the 480.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Are you suggesting that frequency of the practice has an effect on the morality of it? Since you are having a hard time staying on the topic of the 480.

I'm saying that literally every company does it, and there's nothing wrong with doing it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm saying that literally every company does it, and there's nothing wrong with doing it. 

That doesn't answer my question, it just repeats your previous statement.

That doesn't answer my question, it just repeats your previous statement.

No, the frequency doesn't affect the morality of it because there is no morality issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

look, Haaaarder. AMD 3 months

okay didn't see that at the first glance,

oh well.... people that are after the $200 970s should probably not waste time and buy them faster, while they're still on the shelves )))

No, the frequency doesn't affect the morality of it because there is no morality issue. 

If I charge you 10 dollars for 8 apples, and DX 8 dollars for 8 apples. That is acceptable to you? I have not done anything immoral? Given that both sets of apples are the same.

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

If I charge you 10 dollars for 8 apples, and DX 8 dollars for 8 apples. That is acceptable to you? I have not done anything immoral? Given that both sets of apples are the same.

No, you have not.  Voluntary purchases are voluntary.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Let me correct that scenario for you. 

If you charge me 10 dollars for 8 apples but you charge DX 8 dollars for 8 apples but two of them he can only look at through a window but never eat unless of course he has a gun, then he can shoot the glass and take the apples. 

No, not immoral. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Let me correct that scenario for you. 

If you charge me 10 dollars for 8 apples but you charge DX 8 dollars for8 apples but two of them he can only look at through a window but never eat. 

No, not immoral. 

You are now my favorite customer xD Pretty sure I could afford a 1080 SLI set up on you alone xD 

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Does it say you can unlock, because, if so, good luck :D Free performance amiright?

I believe it always says unlock possible at your own risk for Fiji cards as they all have locks opposed to Hawaii cards which had hardware disabled on them sometimes but not the other times, for Fiji cards the the general unlockability is dictated by whether or not you have all X in the same column, preferably all in the right most column, then you can do a flash with a predefined BIOS and have a very high success rate, if not you have to do custom BIOS and try your luck

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

You are now my favorite customer xD Pretty sure I could afford a 1080 SLI set up on you alone xD 

Be careful, you wouldn't want to support any immoral practices. 

Make sure to buy the cheapest and slowest clocked card you can find. After all, it would be highly immoral for a company to sell a product for more just because it's clocked a bit higher. Although, you've already made immoral purchases by supporting Intel with that 4790k of yours, so I guess we all know where you really stand on the matter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@App4that

Do you think EVGA charges Newegg $699.99 US for their GTX 1080FE?

If so, how does Newegg stay in buisness when they sell it to me for that?

If not, then is it not immoral that if I buy directly from EVGA they charge me $699.99 US for the same product they sell to Newegg for less?

Voluntary purchases are voluntary.  If people aren't willing to buy the 4GB edition, they wont.  It is a simple problem with a simple solution.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Be careful, you wouldn't want to support any immoral practices. 

Make sure to buy the cheapest and slowest clocked card you can find. After all, it would be highly immoral for a company to sell a product for more just because it's clocked a bit higher. 

Two completely separate things. If I sell 2 a Rx 480s identical to each other and charge more for one because it's "overclocked", then yeah that's a dick move and I avoid those. But if one has better power delivery, that's a physical change and can change the pricing accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

@App4that

Do you think EVGA charges Newegg $699.99 US for their GTX 1080FE?

If so, how does Newegg stay in buisness when they sell it to me for that?

If not, then is it not immoral that if I buy directly from EVGA they charge me $699.99 US for the same product they sell to Newegg for less?

Voluntary purchases are voluntary.  If people aren't willing to buy the 4GB edition, they wont.  It is a simple problem with a simple solution.

You're talking about middlemen and retailers, completely different topic.

Two completely separate things. If I sell 2 a Rx 480s identical to each other and charge more for one because it's "overclocked", then yeah that's a dick move and I avoid those. But if one has better power delivery, that's a physical change and can change the pricing accordingly.

How about the 4790k you own? The only difference between it and a 4790 is that one is clocked higher and has an unlocked multiplier. Both chips are identical, one just costs more. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So basically it's an anti-970?  Pay for 4 GB of RAM and get 8? xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.