RX 480 - DownloadMoreRAM.com

DXMember
11 minutes ago, App4that said:

You're not following.

If AMD tells their customers that both cards have 8g of VRAM, but one has access to only half of it for less. AMD is completely free and clear.

Is that what AMD has said?

AMD didn't say that.... Ryan did... Ryan is not AMD, Ryan is a person... he's from PCPer... what?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

AMD didn't say that.... Ryan did... Ryan is not AMD, Ryan is a person... he's from PCPer... what?

READ xD 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

With the top one I think there's a BIOS availible that can unlock certain CUs in the SE, don't try 2 and 3 though because those are probably defective. You could do a 4_low (I think) flash on that one.

With the bottom one you could try 4_all, but if that doesn't work a 4_low probably will.

I'm hoping for 4_low on both ))

the top card looks liek a dud...  it also causes problems with overclocking stability in CrossFire

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

I'm hoping for 4_low on both ))

the top card looks liek a dud...  it also causes problems with overclocking stability in CrossFire

4_low really should work with both.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

4_low really should work with both.

I've been also hearing of this UEFI vBIOS update or something along the lines for Fiji cards

it promised faster boot times (which are whatever) but also was rumored to have better stability with overclocks, never heard of it since or seen anyone update it...

I wonder how that turned out

27 minutes ago, App4that said:

Single threaded performance is better on the k skew. Oh, and I got mine for less than a 4790 xD No way I'd pay full pull for one.

Yeah, because Intel locked the 4790(non k) at a lower clock speed through firmware. The hardware between the two is identical. Literally the same thing as AMD locking four of the 8gb of VRAM on the 4gb 480. Congratulations on supporting the very thing you've been complaining about for the last two to three pages.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah, because Intel locked the 4790(non k) at a lower clock speed through firmware. The hardware between the two is identical. Literally the same thing as AMD locking four of the 8gb of VRAM on the 4gb 480.

Only it's not. If they both went willy nilly through the lab and grabbed hardware to slap a sticker on, then yes. But that's not what happened. The 4790k has different power management, and is binned. The Skylake 6600k is just an unlocked chip. Can't tell you how pissed I was that Intel locked the multiplier on Skylake after the fact. Main reason I'm rooting for Zen.

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

Only it's not. If they both went willy nilly through the lab and grabbed hardware to slap a sticker on, then yes. But that's not what happened. The 4790k has different power management, and is binned. The Skylake 6600k is just an unlocked chip. Can't tell you how pissed I was that Intel locked the multiplier on Skylake after the fact. Main reason I'm rooting for Zen.

umm.. you do realize i3-6100 is the same chip as i7-6700K, right? and so is i3-4030Y and the i7-4790K 

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

umm.. you do realize i3-6100 is the same chip as i7-6700K, right? and so is i3-4030Y and the i7-4790K 

Depends on your definition of "chip"

The architecture is the same, but the care after completion is, well completely different. A multitude of analogies flood by brain, but you get it.

40 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm against the whole 3.5g deal. Openly.

As stated earlier, PLEASE be a customer of mine. If you like the color of your socks so much you don't mind looking at them while we conduct business. Well I'd be happy to accommodate your needs.

So...again...I just want to get this straight...

You, as a self proclaimed business owner, do not believe a person has the right to choose under what circumstances their wares are sold?

To the Gulag with AMD then?

14 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

So...again...I just want to get this straight...

You, as a self proclaimed business owner, do not believe a person has the right to choose under what circumstances their wares are sold?

To the Gulag with AMD then?

If you would like to discuss free market and other political topics, PLEASE message me. I didn't waste my time in political science for nothing. xD 

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you would like to discuss free market and other political topics, PLEASE message me. I didn't waste my time in political science for nothing. xD 

There's no point in it.  You called me a libertarian, but I'm actually anti-libertarian specifically because libertarians state to believe in rationality yet will make exceptions for things for no other reason than they want there to be one.

As for the matter at hand?
You said they immoral.

I asked when they lied: No response.

I asked if they misrepresented the capabilities of their product:  No response.

I asked when they forced you to accept a transaction against your will:  No response.

The only loophole that really leaves is if they suddenly disabled something AFTER they sold it to you...but again, no one has argued that it does not perform at least as well as advertised.

If someone sells you a burlap sack saying it contains 20 apples, are you going to complain if there aren't at least 30 apples in it?  How would you, again as a business owner, treat a customer who took that attitude with you?

The only crime you have accused they have committed is doing what they want with their own property...

1 minute ago, Yamoto42 said:

snip

I did anything but offer a lack of response.

If Radeon says it has 4g but in fact is has 8g of physical memory, they lied.

They said the 4g model has 4g of VRAM, they may have mislead its capabilities if the retail copy in fact has 8g.

That is what is off topic and should be handled in private.

That's not how things work.

That's not relevant to the conversation. We are talking about charging one customer more than the other for the same product.

Once you sell something, it's no longer your property.

45 minutes ago, App4that said:

Once you sell something, it's no longer your property.

This is just as true that it is not their property until you have sold it.

45 minutes ago, App4that said:

They said the 4g model has 4g of VRAM, they may have mislead its capabilities if the retail copy in fact has 8g.

Granted, I am not the best at counting, but if it has 8GB of ram, it also has 4GB.  I state as my proof that 8 is greater than 4.  Therefore you cannot have 8 without 4.  8 without 4 would be..well..4...

So to state it has 4GB is not lying, as you can, in fact, account for 4GB of vram on it.

As for what is "on topic"  I ask if they are wrong doing what they wish with THEIR property.  It is not your until you pay for it.  Then you can do what you like with it.

They say it has 4GB and you can load 4GB of data onto it successfully.  I say there is no foul.  If you do not want to buy it you are under no obligation to.

4 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

This is just as true that it is not their property until you have sold it.

Granted, I am not the best at counting, but if it has 8GB of ram, it also has 4GB.  I state as my proof that 8 is greater than 4.  Therefore you cannot have 8 without 4.

So to state it has 4GB is not lying.

If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport and I was the judge, you'd get the gold.

The best post so far, and I don't dare try to improve upon it.

2 hours ago, wasd said:

OMG!  I bought a V6 Ford Mustang.  After I removed the plastic cover on the engine I found 2 hidden cylinders.  I downloaded an updated firmware and now it's a V8!

Woo-hoo!

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport and I was the judge, you'd get the gold.

And if complaining about getting more than you payed for were a profession...well, I'm sure you could spare Linus a few more lambos...

2 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

And if complaining about getting more than you payed for were a profession...well, I'm sure you could spare Linus a few more lambos...

Hmm, I'm complaining about AMD charging people 240us for the same graphics card they charge 200us for. What conversation have you been having?

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hmm, I'm complaining about AMD charging people 240us for the same graphics card they charge 200us for. What conversation have you been having?

The one where people were allowed to reject the offer.

Granted I know it might take some mental gymnastics to get your head aroudn the idea of "voluntary transactions"...

The one where people were allowed to reject the offer.

Ah, remind yourself of that the next time someone rips you off. You'll feel right as rain, I promise.

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Ah, remind yourself of that the next time someone rips you off. You'll feel right as rain, I promise.

No, I won't like it.  But I'll survive and not make the same mistake twice.

If you don't like AMD's business practices there's a simple solution:  DON'T BUY AMD.

Was that difficult?  Did that need almost 5 pages now?  For three words?

You simply want something to be angry about, which is fair enough...but it is what it is.  They are free to sell to whom they wish for what price they wish.  You are free to reject their offer if you dislike it.

Simple.

very disappointed sigh

What I'm getting at is that review samples have 8GB but a BIOS to lock the last 4GB of VRAM but the cards probably have the RAM on already, but more than likely defective.

I don't see an issue here, honestly. The R9 290 was like that. Granted, in a different manner, but still.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

No, I won't like it.  But I'll survive and not make the same mistake twice.

If you don't like AMD's business practices there's a simple solution:  DON'T BUY AMD.

Was that difficult?  Did that need almost 5 pages now?  For three words?

You simply want something to be angry about, which is fair enough...but it is what it is.  They are free to sell to whom they wish for what price they wish.  You are free to reject their offer.

Simple.

No my friend, this went on for 5 pages because you can't stand someone having a differing opinion, and I'm bored. I really could card less, but you're solid gold xD 

I'll continue to buy AMD because as has been discussed to great length it is impossible to buy from a company that hasn't pulled a similar trick. But you've been fun, so please allow me to offer you closing words to the discussion between us.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

very disappointed sigh

What I'm getting at is that review samples have 8GB but a BIOS to lock the last 4GB

Which is quite likely, since they are otherwise identical architecture that they may have done something of the sort to avoid shipping multiple cards per reviewer.

Which is quite likely, since they are otherwise identical architecture that they may have done something of the sort to avoid shipping multiple cards per reviewer.

LTT fucked me over, so you might wanna check my edited reply.

But yeah, I'm gonna assume that the 4GB models have the full 4GB and the extra RAM that's probably defective, and they shipped 8GB models to the reviewers with custom BIOSes to lock the RAM out if they wanted to.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

No my friend, this went on for 5 pages because you can't stand someone having a differing opinion, and I'm bored. I really could card less, but you're solid gold xD 

I'll continue to buy AMD because as has been discussed to great length it is impossible to buy from a company that hasn't pulled a similar trick. But you've been fun, so please allow me to offer you closing words to the discussion between us.

No hard feelings, man.

Personally, remembering we still don't have much information, I don't personally like it if that's what they are doing..but I don't have to like it.

I'm largely satisfied with my 980Ti, so I don't really have a dog in the fight...I'll ultimately go with whoever has the best multi-monitor support in a single card (triple 1080p ...with AA because its still 1080p... takes some horsepower) because that's what I care about.  At present that limits me to pretty much a minimum of the 980Ti in performance...but nvidia's switching on and off surround needs A LOT of work...and honestly I don't see AMD having a single card solution for awhile...at least until I need 1440p...which just kind of compounds the problem...  .not to mention I've never tried eyefinity to see its QOL toggling multi-monitor to surround.

Anyways, enough rambling.  Have a good evening...or whatever time it is wherever you are, sir.

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

LTT fucked me over, so you might wanna check my edited reply.

But yeah, I'm gonna assume that the 4GB models have the full 4GB and the extra RAM that's probably defective, and they shipped 8GB models to the reviewers with custom BIOSes to lock the RAM out if they wanted to.

Yeah, we honestly don't have enough information to have an informed discussion...I've largely been arguing for the sake of it.