Gigabyte 1070 vs EVGA 1070

tzammit_96

Hi everyone. I was originally planning to get an EVGA gtx 1070 SC, however all sources said that they will only receive them for reselling in 2 weeks time (buying in Europe). This evening, the Gigabyte gtx 1070 G1 gaming became available for purchase from where I am buying. Since I was originally planning to buy an EVGA model, I'm not entirely inclined to get the gigabyte. Then again I have delayed the new pc build for more than 2 months and would like to get is as soon as I can.

So my question is this: Is the difference between the EVGA and the gigabyte models high enough such that I would postpone the purchase of the graphics card for 2 more weeks? (the main con I heard about the gigabyte 1070 is that its made of plastic, then again I don't know if this is such a disadvantage in itself).

I would greatly appreciate any advice :)

I would simply suggest the evga card because evga support is one of the best in the business, otherwise both cards will rock and be just fine.

OAS || AAS || LLS

Many Gigabyte buyers complain about their coils, ever thought about getting a zotac or palit=

3 minutes ago, -i.nwA_ said:

Many Gigabyte buyers complain about their coils, ever thought about getting a zotac or palit=

Nope, both are available, just heard that gigabyte and evga were the best in the business so the question was to choose between them. Correct me if I'm wrong

EVGA because you can put waterblock on it and not voiding warranty.

Best customer service ever in general!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

18 minutes ago, tzammit_96 said:

Hi everyone. I was originally planning to get an EVGA gtx 1070 SC, however all sources said that they will only receive them for reselling in 2 weeks time (buying in Europe). This evening, the Gigabyte gtx 1070 G1 gaming became available for purchase from where I am buying. Since I was originally planning to buy an EVGA model, I'm not entirely inclined to get the gigabyte. Then again I have delayed the new pc build for more than 2 months and would like to get is as soon as I can.

So my question is this: Is the difference between the EVGA and the gigabyte models high enough such that I would postpone the purchase of the graphics card for 2 more weeks? (the main con I heard about the gigabyte 1070 is that its made of plastic, then again I don't know if this is such a disadvantage in itself).

I would greatly appreciate any advice :)

It doesn't really matter all that much. Both cards will be very similar. If you like the looks of the G1 gaming, get it. If you prefer EVGA's, wait for that. Both will be good cards.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, tzammit_96 said:

Nope, both are available, just heard that gigabyte and evga were the best in the business so the question was to choose between them. Correct me if I'm wrong

I just got my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 yesterday and installed it last night.  I've only run the in game benchmarking for Tomb Raider and also Unigine Valley but I think I did notice a little coil whine.  I'm not sure if it is coil whine but I can hear a little electronic sounding buzzing when I had either benchmark running.  

Though I should mention that this sound was quiet enough that even with the only sound in the room coming from my tower the only way I could notice/hear the electronic buzzing was if I put my ear a couple inches away from the top of my tower which is open for fan vents.  (It's a NZXT Phantom 240 if you care to look up what the case looks like for reference.)

Even with either benchmark running the fans didn't seem to ramp up too much and where at least somewhat quieter than my MSI GTX 970 was.

Thanks for the info, now how would you rate the gigabyte 1070 vs the zotac 1070? I haven't heard a lot of things about the zotac

2 minutes ago, tzammit_96 said:

Thanks for the info, now how would you rate the gigabyte 1070 vs the zotac 1070? I haven't heard a lot of things about the zotac

I've never used Zotac so I wouldn't know about them sorry.  Someone else can hopefully tell you about Zotac cards but personally I've only ever had an MSI 970 and one the Gigabyte 1070 in my main desktop and a Gigabyte GTX 960 in my secondary desktop.  I prefer the Gigabyte cards partly because I like the design of them better than the MSI card.  Though I've heard good things about EVGA too.   

20 minutes ago, tzammit_96 said:

Grey and yellow backplate. That's likely the reason why no one is going to buy (or talk about) Zotac's 1070.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Grey and yellow backplate. That's likely the reason why no one is going to buy (or talk about) Zotac's 1070.

I'm not really fussy over aesthetics. If it has good performance and low coil whine, for me it would be the better option even at the risk of reduced aesthetics

I just bought the Zotac and benchmarked it, stock boost is 1797 but it boosted to 1934 out of the box and it may boost even more if its abit cooler.

i got it up to 2050 core and 4200 memory

its almost unhearable at even 100% fan speed, and on auto i didnt notice it at all in my carbide 540

Spoiler

IMG_20160630_103630.jpgIMG_20160630_103744.jpgIMG_20160630_103813.jpgIMG_20160630_111031.jpgValley_OC.pngValley_Stock.pngIMG_20160630_103358.jpgOC.png

16 hours ago, -i.nwA_ said:

I just bought the Zotac and benchmarked it,

so all in all would you recommend it? 

10 hours ago, tom11 said:

so all in all would you recommend it? 

Yes it really is a good card, it runs quiet and it remains at a reasonable temperature while under load, as usual zotac did a great job.