TF2 RUINED MY SON

DeViLzzz

Oh right, the stolen part. In that case, why not track down and return the items to who they belong to?

I hope I'm not being harsh here since I do kinda see wrong in both parties. To resolve this, I think it's best to do some healthy communication, return whatever is stolen, put a lock down on any game that is rated above the kids age and a good old fashion butt whooping if the violence doesn't cut out.

This is really drastic! You should sit down & explain to him that he can't play this game & you should let him try another game that is more slower.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

Many TF2 items can be sold for real world money.  I beg you to please do your homework and make sure you get the full value of the collection.  I am sure as a responsible parent you want to teach him the value of money and that extends to not being wasteful and stupidly letting yourself get conned.  You are doing a liquidation, do your damn homework! 

With luck you will get enough to pay for a session for your son to see a mental health professional and hopefully get some actual help. My advice would be to let him see the professional alone, with out you, so he can be honest and maybe get better.

And not that you want to hear it but breaks every 30 minutes is really not practical in this game, in fact you are asking your son to be rather rude in my opinion.  Now pushing that number up to 45 minutes to an hour, and you are crossing into asking him to take breaks and logical, natural breaking points. A little research and communication might have actually solved many of your problems. 

Actually I will disagree with you.  Many games can be played time and time again in 30 minutes and TF2 can be played in short sessions.  I have done it and he has done it but he just doesn't like it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Oh right, the stolen part. In that case, why not track down and return the items to who they belong to?

I hope I'm not being harsh here since I do kinda see wrong in both parties. To resolve this, I think it's best to do some healthy communication, return whatever is stolen, put a lock down on any game that is rated above the kids age and a good old fashion butt whooping if the violence doesn't cut out.

In regards to tracking down who the items belong to LOLOL my son changed hats and items so much no chance there.  As for healthy communication it was done and as for a butt whooping any spanking I ever gave him never worked at all and that stopped long ago.

This is really drastic! You should sit down & explain to him that he can't play this game & you should let him try another game that is more slower.

Again I have said it before I think in this thread.  He has played other games but it is this and NHL games that he is addicted to and has a problem with.

In regards to tracking down who the items belong to LOLOL my son changed hats and items so much no chance there.  As for healthy communication it was done and as for a butt whooping any spanking I ever gave him never worked at all and that stopped long ago.

I wanna appolgize if I came off as snarky in previous comments, should have just stuck to the "who lets a 13 year old play TF2?" and left it at that. :P

After a certain age, suppose that's kinda useless. But I do remember one beating I got ages ago and I learned never to be a disrespectful brat to my dad again. Guess it also comes down to individual personality. I was the type that even when annoyed, I would never lash out at a parent. Maybe it's because the girlfriend and I discussed things like future kids that it makes me look at things from both perspectives. No point in drilling that he shouldn't have played X game to begin with since kids can always play things at a friends house. (I know I played all sorts of things).

I wanna appolgize if I came off as snarky in previous comments, should have just stuck to the "who lets a 13 year old play TF2?" and left it at that. :P

After a certain age, suppose that's kinda useless. But I do remember one beating I got ages ago and I learned never to be a disrespectful brat to my dad again. Guess it also comes down to individual personality. I was the type that even when annoyed, I would never lash out at a parent. Maybe it's because the girlfriend and I discussed things like future kids that it makes me look at things from both perspectives. No point in drilling that he shouldn't have played X game to begin with since kids can always play things at a friends house. (I know I played all sorts of things).

Woah no I really should have gotten rid of games way sooner.  I will agree that I should never have let him play TF2 ever again once it was clear he was not mature enough to not steal in the game and not play it in moderation.  I didn't take a firmer stance soon enough and this has happened with many things in my life and I pay for it in the long run.

Good idea, too much of anything is bad for you. Glad your doing something about it instead of just bitching and blaming the game like most parents do.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I hope you understand that there is video game addiction.  I have come off it myself when I played WOW.  I had the same symptoms as a drug user.

Your a sick sick Canadian Commie, and may god have mercy on your sons soul. 

Your going with christ!!

1374416_514398745319787_801452602_n.jpg?

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Wow I have head of this stuff before but never thought id see it on LTT. I have gotten mad at a game especially after investing time and effort into it but nothing even close to this in the least.

Over the next few days I will be listing all the items I will be giving away to people for TF2.  This game got my son to the point where he assaulted me when I tried to shut off the computer on him.  Game over !

Today will be busy and I may not have time to list the items in the next 24 but by the weekend all the items will be listed here.

highly support this

not because i want items but because kids needs to be taught manners 

thank god i was disciplined 

So anyone awake and want some TF2 items ?  The heck with making a list as it is not worth my time.

(Eh waited long enough for responses (15 min) so another time I guess.)

So anyone awake and want some TF2 items ?  The heck with making a list as it is not worth my time.

May i suggest transferring them to your own steam account and maybe returning them to him if he learns his lesson maybe when he becomes more mature?  Otherwise he may hold this against you for quite some time.

That's fucking slack, saying it now.

You know how to stop him playing TF2? Pull the internet, simple. No need to giveaway everything he's ever earned on the game, that will just make him even more angry.

yea this what my parents feel like i would become from video games. sorry to hear about that.
id recommend some healthy alternatives. like some sorta hobbey

Over the next few days I will be listing all the items I will be giving away to people for TF2.  This game got my son to the point where he assaulted me when I tried to shut off the computer on him.  Game over !

Today will be busy and I may not have time to list the items in the next 24 but by the weekend all the items will be listed here.

I think your son bacame an addict. that maybe the reason of the aggressiveness.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3600+ | Asus M2N68-AM SE2 | 3gb ddr2 | Orion 600w | Sapphire HD5570

Can I have some?

- TheRuke

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

So your saying that TF2 ruined your son and now your giving away prizes to other players who play that game... being sons of farther...? Sorry man, however even I get angry sometimes while doing activities, gets to the point where I can't stand people talking.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

You know how to stop him playing TF2? Pull the internet, simple. No need to giveaway everything he's ever earned on the game, that will just make him even more angry.

I dont think you've payed attention most of this stuff his son stole

If you think your son has an addiction, treat it like an addiction.  Addictions are dangerous, in more ways than one, and if gone about in the wrong way could be detrimental.  You should make him feel like you are on his side, and you are trying to help him.  Giving away all his items is more a method of revenge rather than resolution and will just make him feel like you are fighting against him; that being said I definitely believe his gaming privileges should be revoked for the time being.  When he is off the games try to spend some time with him, get him to hang around with his friends, show him there are alternatives to gaming.  If he shows signs of depression seek professional help immediately.  He may have already been dealing with depression, and using gaming as a means to get him through it.  

Maybe the severity of the situation has come off worse than it actually is and I am jumping to conclusions, but I just wanted to cover all angles.  Best of luck, I hope things go well between the two of you.  

I went through something like this with WoW, The only real way I was able to come out of it was well, I simply didn't have the funds to keep playing anymore and I didn't have enough experience in the real world to get a job outside of maybe mowing lawns. (which living in a desert such as this one its not an option, at all. Though camel grooming might work)

Anyhow, what I suggest is saying "Play whatever you want as along as you pay a bill and keep up with school work, skip out on either of those two things and your ass is grass."

Now thats not saying he should cover 100% of the internet bill but just give him something that someone his age should be able to realistically reach in a months time given that he puts effort into it. (30 bucks a month or something assuming he doesn't get an allowance)

I feel he needs something concrete to shoot for right now, goals (if on a bit of the pathetic side)

My main problem was I thought real life (if you will) was a billion times harder than what it was. Let him experience what its like to have to pay your own bills and to be broke when theres something you need/have to do. He'll see its not all bad. Hell, working is fun if you get a job you enjoy.

Oh and tell him if you catch him stealing anything every again that no matter what it is you will pay for it with his TF2 items (or his whole PC depending on cost of item)

I remember what one person said and that was to sell the items myself and get cash and put it towards paying for some counselling for him.  The problem is getting cash for TF2 items has not been too easy.  He had a decent item that was worth $70 and I could not sell it at all.  He actually got the item legit.  I told him to buy one more key and open a crate with it and he did so and he got an unusual.

My mom and other family bought him Steam cash over the years.  I bought him Steam cash.  Maybe I should sell the items and recoup what we put into the game but when I stare at that collection it does make me sick. I lost my son to this game.  He himself admitted the addiction.  

I thought giving away everything was the right course of action but I don't know.

The problem is he didn't earn everything in the game.  He stole from others.

I went through something like this with WoW, The only real way I was able to come out of it was well, I simply didn't have the funds to keep playing anymore and I didn't have enough experience in the real world to get a job outside of maybe mowing lawns. (which living in a desert such as this one its not an option, at all. Though camel grooming might work)

Anyhow, what I suggest is saying "Play whatever you want as along as you pay a bill and keep up with school work, skip out on either of those two things and your ass is grass."

Now thats not saying he should cover 100% of the internet bill but just give him something that someone his age should be able to realistically reach in a months time given that he puts effort into it. (30 bucks a month or something assuming he doesn't get an allowance)

I feel he needs something concrete to shoot for right now, goals (if on a bit of the pathetic side)

My main problem was I thought real life (if you will) was a billion times harder than what it was. Let him experience what its like to have to pay your own bills and to be broke when theres something you need/have to do. He'll see its not all bad. Hell, working is fun if you get a job you enjoy.

Oh and tell him if you catch him stealing anything every again that no matter what it is you will pay for it with his TF2 items (or his whole PC depending on cost of item)

He has been caught way too many times stealing items in TF2.  I gave him every chance to clean up his act and he couldn't.

So anyone want TF2 items ?  I am willing to log onto one of the accounts and see what is there.

Did you not listen to what I said? Do you not know what these items mean to him? He obviously cares about these items enough to steal from people to obtain them. To him these items are like a dog you've had for years. And please listen to me when I say this as I went through exactly this. If you take these items away its quite possible that you will be taking away anything hes cared about which will lead him into depression. While yes I understand that this is a pathetic way of thinking and I understand that this SOUNDS stupid and impossible to you, you just have to understand how much these items mean to him.

I'm not saying don't take them away, but I'm saying don't take them away and make it irretrievable to get them back. put them on your personal account or something.