rumor has it ASUS stopped producing GTX1080 STRIX OC due to high RMA rates - it was a misunderstanding

zMeul

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4q8nmi/asus_stopping_production_of_the_asus_strix_1080/

a reddit user received this email after placing a buy order at a danish retailer, www.sharkgaming.dk

6MGo3hW.png

and a rough translation:

We have been forced to cancel your order.
This is because ASUS has made an OC model of their cards (that you ordered) The card was clocked too high which has already given them too high RMA rate . The card is therefore not in production anymore, but they make a non -OC model which should land in the middle July

and now it makes you wonder why ASUS and MSI didn't flashed retail cards with the OC BIOS and elected to leave it to the software utility that is included in the videocard box .. eh

the issue is nVidia removed ASIC quality from their Pascal GPUs and binning can't be done as before, if they did any in the 1st place

if they sell OC cards, they would need to validate each GPU individually - and I don't see ASUS doing it

I always wondered why GPU manufacturers, yes both AMD and nVidia, don't impose a more strict control of what their AIB partners do with their GPUs

it's not the 1st time, and most than likely not the last, when they sell video cards with over the top overclocked GPUs

---

this also ties in with ASUS hiking up the price of the card:

---

later edit: SharkGaming posted a retraction: 

We have created some wrong claims regarding ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC, where we have told customers that we can not deliver the graphic card any time soon, because of no cards in production from ASUS because of a high RMA rate. So we recommended customers to cancel their orders.
This is a misunderstanding from our side, and it is not the truth.
It was an assumtion based on no deliveries.
ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC is in production and delivery is only limited at this moment.
We regret the misunderstanding and look forward to offer our customers the graphic card.

topic can be locked

Edited by zMeul

2 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

I cannot comprehend how such big, wealthy, allegedly experienced corporations cannot do the job they've done a thousand times before.

probably because they never did it before, individual validation I mean !? they assumed a margin of RMAs and went with it

and need to take into account there isn't any ASIC quality anymore with Pascal

And people wonder why I never recommend Asus. Believe me now?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

They should stop making GPUs. They're terrible at it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Come on guys they have always been a joke when it came to GPUs, the only desktop hardware I would ever get from them is their motherboards, because they are good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Looks like Pascal was rushed overall. Late shipment, late testing, launched early with low stock and stupid looking, infantile GPU coolers desperate for attention.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Welp i just lost all respect for ASUS

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They should stop making GPUs video cards. They're terrible at it.

I never ever could recommend ASUS to anyone - when I worked as re-seller I had bad experiences with their products

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I never ever could recommend ASUS to anyone - when I worked as re-seller I had bad experiences with their products

It's like, their AMD cards are terrible, I'd never recommend those to anyone, their Nvidia cards were okay-ish (the 900 series) up until now, but there still was no reason to buy them as you could just get an MSI/EVGA GTX card and have a better card with better customer support for the same price.

Their motherboards are good, but overpriced, so I'd still opt for MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock in that department as they're more budget-friendly.

ASUS is meh. MSI is usually a much better choice overall.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's like, their AMD cards are terrible, I'd never recommend those to anyone, their Nvidia cards were okay-ish up until now (the 900 series), but there still was no reason to buy them as you could just get an MSI/EVGA GTX card and have a better card with better customer support for the same price.

Their motherboards are good, but overpriced, so I'd still opt for MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock in that department as they're more budget-friendly.

ASUS is meh. MSI is usually a much better choice overall.

Asus cards were also bad in the 700 series ;) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Asus cards was also bad in the 700 series ;) 

Yeah, I know, I edited the order of words a little to make more clear what I meant: "their Nvidia cards were okay-ish (the 900 series) up until now" because the 900 series wasn't THAT terrible as it didn't need a beefy power delivery, cooling etc etc.

19 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

So, Asus is letting their monitor Q/A department work on their GPU lineup now? Noice. I cannot comprehend how such big, wealthy, allegedly experienced corporations cannot do the job they've done a thousand times before. The tech world never ceases to amaze.

The bigger you get the harder it is to get even bigger. Corporate mentality today is if you're not growing you're dying. Stupid I know, but it is what it is. 

So don't be surprised they start cutting corners everywhere. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I remember when they didn't change their cooler in anyway to fit the AMD cards better and had problems with the heat pipes contact with the GPU. 
#Stay away

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Come on ASUS, it haven't received mine yet and I already want to send it back... 

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

ASUS was always bad at making GPUs

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Not sure how reliable this information is, but I just asked the people over at komplett.no - Norways biggest online tech store - if they had experienced the same issues. (I currently have an order there for the exact same product.) According to them they hadn't experienced anything abnormal with RMA numbers. Really hoping there's some truth to it as I've already been waiting a month for my card, and I still haven't got it and I most certainly don't want to send it back once I get it.

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 | Intel i5-6600K@4.6GHz | Asus Maxiumus VIII Hero | G-Skill Trident Z 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | Fractal Design Kelvin S36 | EVGA SuperNova G2 750W

Acer Predator X34A | Logitech Proteus Spectrum G502 | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown

What I find funny is when they seem to actually try they make great GPU's,  but for the average consumer cards they don't seem to give a flying shit. 

Their Matrix cards have always been real nice, and their Ares and Mars stuff has been sweet as well,  but it seems their DCU2 and strix / other base consumer models get the short end of the stick. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If true, this isn't the first time Asus doing this. They managed to screw up the R9 280X Top, overvolting the memory too much without providing any cooling. With a bios tweak and undervolting it's perfect. I hope this issue doesn't affect the GTX 1070 Strix, because it seems to be one of the best, if not the best 1070. 

The solution is to avoid buying overclocked Asus GPUs if their clock speeds are much higher than their competitors, not to raise pitchforks and swear never to buy Asus products like the majority of people in this topic.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

9 minutes ago, Lays said:

What I find funny is when they seem to actually try they make great GPU's,  but for the average consumer cards they don't seem to give a flying shit. 

Their Matrix cards have always been real nice, and their Ares and Mars stuff has been sweet as well,  but it seems their DCU2 and strix / other base consumer models get the short end of the stick. 

It's the same thing with their motherboards. I never recommend their low end boards. Either AsRock, Gigabyte or MSI.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

17 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

I remember when they didn't change their cooler in anyway to fit the AMD cards better and had problems with the heat pipes contact with the GPU. 
#Stay away

Evga did the same thing with the 970 acx cooler (and fixed it with the ssc variant). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

If true, this isn't the first time Asus doing this. They managed to screw up the R9 280X Top, overvolting the memory too high without providing any cooling. With a bios tweak and undervolting it's perfect. I hope this issue doesn't affect the GTX 1070 Strix, because it seems to be one of the best, if not the best 1070. 

The solution is to avoid buying overclocked Asus GPUs if their clock speeds are much higher than their competitors, not to raise pitchforks and swear never to buy Asus products like the majority of people in this topic.

No, that is actually the right thing to do. If their wallets aren't hurting, they're not going to change. Your mentality is why they've gotten away with doing this shit for so long.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

42 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

No no, I mean producing and selling a graphics card that doesn't collapse on its own due to the lack of adaption of new features (or the lack thereof).

/e One would assume that they adjust to the new environment without ASIC and whatnot, do their testing and then ship out their cards, and not let the customer be the beta-testers.

We are all beta testers of software, like buggy console ports os windows 10. Someone at Asus was looking at it and thinken "We can do that too"....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

21 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

Yeah, but common sense dictates that if you sell crap, people will notice and stop buying your crap, thus stopping the potential market growth (that mantra does seem to work everywhere except in the tech/gaming industry where people buy everything without hesitating because reasons). But yeah, their highend gaming monitor Q/A debacle does seem to transition right into their GPU division now which is quite the embarrassment for such a large company in my eyes. I wonder how long this will go well for companies that shit products out on the market (just to be "HURR DURR FASTEST AND FIRST") without proper Q/A until the short term investment bites back and consumers look somewhere else entirely. I hope that'll happen sooner than later.

Common sense is not always right: you'd be surprised of how much things like proper marketing and availability help. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

No, that is actually the right thing to do. If their wallets aren't hurting, they're not going to change. Your mentality is why they've gotten away with doing this shit for so long.

Do you really see a corporation like Asus with hurting wallets thanks to a minority of customers avoiding them?

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds